Journey to the top!

madbunny

Journey to the top!

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd use this thread to document my progress. I am on a mission to go from lower order batsmen to opening batsmen during the off-season. I have roughly 4-5 months before the new season starts. I will be hitting the nets with the bowling machine tomorrow, the forward defence will be the target as i believe it is my weakest shot at the moment. I'm sure there will be many questions coming out of tomorrows hitout, I look forward to your help guys :)

Brian

Re: Journey to the top!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm considering concentrating on one shot each session and trying to perfect it. Do you think that's the way to go or should i vary it each session?

Depends on how long you have for each session. Might be an idea to work on two shots, splitting the time in half.

I think 30 mins per shot is about enough. It gives you and the coach time to see what flaws you have, work on correcting them and then maybe increasing the speed a little.

I don't actually have a coach, I am just a park cricket with no real aspirations of a career in cricket. I used to play representative cricket when i was 12, then took a 12 year break lol.

Now im 27 and just playing in an all age competition with friends every Summer. I'm very competitive though so I'd just like to improve my game for myself. I think it'd be pretty embarassing to get a coach who sees 12 year olds with a better technique than me hehe

My bad, I thought you had booked in with a coach as well as the bowling machine.

In that case, I would work out 4 or 5 shots that you think will score you the most runs and work on those.

UPDATE

Well guys, had my first hitout tonight. I'm not sure if the speed on those bowling machines is accurate, but set at 50mph, it was extremely fast!

After watching Woolmers batting videos, I changed my grip, stance and backlift and it worked wonders for my front foot defensive shoot.

My front foot drives were great, but then again they have always been my strong point.

Weakness spotted: The just short of a length or good lengthed ball outside of off had me fishing for the outside edge alot. This line and length has always been my trouble spot.

The back foot defensive was ok.

Didn't get to try any pull/hook shots, friend controlling the machine was too afraid to drop it short lol.

All in all, a good first hitout :)

If it's outside your eyeline then leave it. Having good off-stump awareness is key to batting. If you know that this 1 specific area is troubling you then avoid playing in that area, if the balls going to miss the stumps, leave it. You could do with more practise though if you think 50mph is fast, I was facing 50mph the first time i'd ever batted. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the pace and then building it up slowly until you're facing a decent pace of around 65 at least.

King Pietersen said:
If it's outside your eyeline then leave it. Having good off-stump awareness is key to batting. If you know that this 1 specific area is troubling you then avoid playing in that area, if the balls going to miss the stumps, leave it. You could do with more practise though if you think 50mph is fast, I was facing 50mph the first time i'd ever batted. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the pace and then building it up slowly until you're facing a decent pace of around 65 at least.

I think you're spot on about leaving balls outside off, I seem to be too eager to play every ball. I think I may get better at judging which balls to leave with more practice.

As for 50mph, I sincerely believe that machine speed is flawed. I am an opening bowler who bowls at around 75-80mph and that machine was throwing them down much faster than what i could manage to bowl. My friend who was training with me is our opening batsmen and when i set the machine to 50 he said it was quicker than anyone he had ever faced in our comp lol

Seems a bit knackered, have you tried to roughly estimate the speed using a stop watch?

Time how long it takes for the ball to leave the machine and reach the batsman, then divide that time by .45 (iirc). Should give you a very rough estimate.

mas cambios said:
Seems a bit knackered, have you tried to roughly estimate the speed using a stop watch?

Time how long it takes for the ball to leave the machine and reach the batsman, then divide that time by .45 (iirc). Should give you a very rough estimate.

Divide the time it takes by 0.45? So if it's 1 second, the speed is (1/0.45) mph? That sounds a little off, as that is roughly 2mph

Back