Journey to the top!

Re: Journey to the top!

OK, I think i worked out what's wrong with the bowling machine. I just went onto the website of the maker's of the machine, and we were using it all wrong!

madbunny said:
I think the formula, 45/(time taken) = actual speed

eg. 45/1second = 45mph

Sound about right?

Not sure, I'd need to check it, I know there is a 45 in there somewhere though.

Also, what make is it? Bola?

Yeah, you were right it's as follows:

45/x = s

x = time
s = speed

Also, it's only a rough guide as the ball slows down off the pitch, where as the radar on t.v takes the speed in the air.

Note to self: check these things first lol

Nice -in the UK you mostly see machines from BOLA. Pretty much the same I guess, except it has a casing around the parts that generate turn.

Also, some ideas for drills with the machine that you may want to consider - link.

Hey Guys,

I am psyched to get back in the nets on Thursday against the machine. I've been reading the forums and seen that alot of the posters recommend posting a video of a batting session for critique. I'm wondering whether this would be beneficial if i recorded my session this week, any thoughts?

A video is a good idea.

Also, have you had a look at the article by Harrowdrive about introducing a new shot to your armoury? Well worth a look as it seems you're currently in that process.

Link is Adding a new shot.

swghayward79 said:
did you ever work out wat speed the bowling machin was dfoing in the end?

I will be timing it this thursday with a stopwatch to get a rough estimate, will let you know

madbunny said:
A great read Mas, but let's try and get the text book shots down first before I make up my own one :D

That bad eh! :p

Seriously though, when you coach kids to play the best way is to make it simple, so that they get the technique correct. They are encouraged to hit a drop ball or bobble throw. Even hitting a static ball can help as it gives you a chance to get things such as footwork correct without worrying about other things.

If you have a bit of room at home, try placing a tennis ball on the floor in front of you and then practising the shot you want to work on. It's a way to start getting the movements into the memory which can be a great help.

Lol no mas I'm not that bad, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic.

I can play all the shots, to be honest in the nets when there's no pressure on I can fool people into thinking im an opening batsmen, I'm a strong hitter of the ball.

I think what I'm lacking is technique though. All my runs come from straight drives, cover drives and cut shots. Problem is once a ball is straight and a bit short of a length it's always a defensive shot or if it's just outside off on a good length i always fish for a edge.

I think my main concern is once a quicker bowler comes on, i find it extremely hard to score any runs because i never seem to have enough time to play a shot, im always in defensive mode to the point it may be pre-meditated.

thats what im using the machine for, to ramp up the speed and get used to the pace of the ball while maintaining good technique.

No worries, was just trying to help out if you were trying to introduce a brand new shot, always a little bit of a guessing game when helping people blind.

Sounds like you need to alter your mind set a little and remove the mental block you have towards pace bowling. I would suggest a brush up on, say one or two back foot shots, and the correct technique, then get out there and work on them

Start off at a comfortable pace and then build the speed up. Videoing the sessions will help as you'll be to review what is going on and as said before check for flaws.

I would try to keep things as simple as possible at the moment, so ignore things like trigger movements until you're happy that you're playing the shot correctly, getting the head in the correct position and that you are nicely balanced.

Once you start hitting a few out of the middle that have a bit of pace behind you'll start to feel more confident. The ones just outside off you can leave - but this will require a bit of work on off stump awareness. If the ball is straight then you may want to try to work it to leg.

I suggested video taping the session for others to critique simply because when you are abtting it is difficult to know where your head position is and balance and so forth. If they are flawed, then it would be nice to know what causes that flaw, which i probably wouldnt know and someone could point out.

You're right about the mindset, when i face a fast bowler i get extremely defensive, I think it's a lack of confidence as well as maybe not being good at picking the length which im sure will get better with the continued practice.

Now for the outside off problem, how does one practice their offside awareness? I continually play balls outside off which i don't need to, and the last time i tried to get fancy and leave one it swung in about 30cm and bowled me!

So, what do people do to increase their off stump awareness?

Back