keeping out yorkers

Ads

keeping out yorkers

about 4 or 5 times this season i have been bowled by a yorker or full pitched delivery

sometimes i just drop the bat at my feet to keep out a yorker

but my dad says that i should be trying to take a step forward and turn the yorker into a full toss and aim to drive it back past the bowler

what is the best way to play a yorker ???

and how could i improve playing these types of deliveries and stop getting out by them

Re: keeping out yorkers

basically you should keep it out in whatever way works for you. generally there isnt enough time to make a concious decision on what you should do, so just trust your instincts and play it in whatever way comes naturally

and remember, sometimes there is nothing you can do, somtimes it is just the perfect yorker.

if you do, however, try to take a step forward and drive the ball, you will mostly cope it onto the toe of the bat, which may have no positive result at all

Ads said:
about 4 or 5 times this season i have been bowled by a yorker or full pitched delivery

sometimes i just drop the bat at my feet to keep out a yorker

but my dad says that i should be trying to take a step forward and turn the yorker into a full toss and aim to drive it back past the bowler

what is the best way to play a yorker ???

and how could i improve playing these types of deliveries and stop getting out by them

Welcome to the board, I hope you find it useful.

As for keeping out yorkers, well, generally you just have to jab the bat down as fast as you can and hope. If you think that there is a high chance of them being bowled to you, then you may want to limit your backlift so the bat has less distance to travel to the crease.

In terms of getting experienced at playing them, then it's down to practice I'm afraid. Get a bowling machine set up to bowl yorker length at a pace your comfortable with and then increase it as you get better at keeping the ball out.

If you haven't got access to a machine then a mate will do, it'll probably help them in controlling their length so it's a win-win situation.

As for the advice from your Dad, it's an aggressive move and an show your intent to the bowler but as Jimmy says you can't always do that. Get confident in your ability to keep them out before you start looking to score off them. The key is to have the memory stored so that you can call on when needed, and the key to this is practice.

even to spinners?? coz they can bowl yorkers to

and wont that then turn balls of half volly length into yorker length??

Almost_Austwick said:
If you think that there is a high chance of them being bowled to you, then you may want to limit your backlift so the bat has less distance to travel to the crease.

if i was to limit my backlift for every ball would that then make it harder to play my shots because my best shot is probably the pull shot and i dont want to lose that

you certainly pose a bit of a toughy, thats for sure.

just practise with a bowling machine/friend with your current backlift and see how that works for you

Ads said:
if i was to limit my backlift for every ball would that then make it harder to play my shots because my best shot is probably the pull shot and i dont want to lose that

I guess you have to play it situation by situation. Maybe a compromise can be found where you only use a backlift 50% that of normal in such circumstances.

I'm sure there is something on here somewhere with regards to backlift, power and playing strokes. A limited backlift shouldn't mean a reduction in the power or the amount of strokes available.

yeah thanks heaps for all the help

i actually tried batting with a lower backlift in the nets today and i kept out a few yorkers but also found that by using this backlift it doesnt affect me playing shots and for some reason i actually felt more comfortable playing shots on the off side which i dont normally do.

not sure if that has anything to do with the backlift but whatever it was it worked

It may be a mental thing, because you were able to keep out yorkers with more ease, it had a positive effect on other parts of your game.

The key thing is to find out what works and stick to it - keep us informed of how you get on!

A_A u said u wanted to know i go with ur help

today i only 6 runs but felt comfortable batting and it was just a leading edge that got me out

i kept out 2 or 3 yorkers using ur advice and batting with a lower backlift

so thanks for ur help m8

The thing is, i have a medium back lift but i can keep out yorkers easy. In fact today i probably faced 10 or so, and i even managed to glide one through the slips for a couple :D.
But what im trying to say, its all about whats comfortable, and getting practise. I got my mate to throw down to me a mixture of full tosses, half volleys and yorkers at a fair pace and that has put me in good stead

jimmy when u say u have a medium backlift where is that coming up to on your body eg. hip, thigh etc.

because my old backlift came up to my hip but i then lowered it down to around my shin/knee

Do you mean where the bat sits at rest, or where the highest point of the arc is. Because it sits on my hip, and is raised at about 45o from my hip

jimmy yeah m8 i meant where the bat sits at rest

and manee usually the ball beats the downswing of my bat but i know that a couple of times i have got the bat down quick enough but the ball still got through the gap between bat and my foot

Ads said:
and manee usually the ball beats the downswing of my bat but i know that a couple of times i have got the bat down quick enough but the ball still got through the gap between bat and my foot

Perhaps you are watching the ball for too long and have some sort of mental block where you 'forget' to play the shot (it happens to a lot of people). Just remember to get your bat down as soon as you think it may be a yorker.

Back