Left Arm Chinaman

Hi Chinasmum.

Does your son have The Art of Wrist Spin bowling by Philpott? I suspect the answer is yes, but if not it buy it for him and it will help him persevere and get through the tough times. It's the next best thing to having a coach.

That's great thank you for that tip, have just purchased for him!

Huge thanks for your reply, he's read it, had a little smile and seems more determined than ever. He is captaining his team this season and I guess with the fast bowlers getting more wickets than him, he's feeling the pressure a little, but maybe that's why they put him as skipper, as he can do something different to the norm?! Anyway I really just wanted him to read that what he was feeling and doing was normal for a spinner of his age and it's good for him to be told to keep at it by anyone other than his parents!!

As the captain he's in a good position to rectify the bowling figures situation. My captain who was a spinner at Grays in Essex here, a bloke named Neil Samwell was a very good bowler, didn't turn it much by his own admission, but varied his length and pace. But despite this he had the clubs record for the most wickets in a season and the most wickets ever if I remember correctly. How did he do that you might wonder? A lot of people made the observation that he had a knack of bringing himself on in the last overs of the game against the lesser batsmen! Something your son might consider? ;-)

hey guys. sorry, ive been away from the site for a while because of exams but im back. I have just uploaded some videos of my action on youtube...feel free to rip into my action...im willing to start all over again if i have to.
here are the links:

let me know if the videos need to be better for the analysis...
any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys!

Now I'm not an action expert or anything but your action looks very good to me. You could try to get a bit higher on your front foot, but other than that no need for change. (If the action is working for you) I'm also a chinaman and your action looks very similar to mine when I started. Here is a video with some bowling of mine from last season, I only have this video and one other of my bowling but as soon as I get another one I'll post it on here. You'll notice that I get a little bit of drift which is almost noticeable here, but now I can drift the ball from leg stump to outside off (much more than noticeable) and also more dip and turn... So this isn't an accurate, up to date video of my bowling but I thought it might be nice for you to see another chinaman at work:) It's interesting that some of you say that bowlers that have more vertical arms are better with wrong 'uns / top spinners but generally not side spin. I have a near-vertical arm height and consider myself much more of a side spin bowler than a top spin bowler. My stock ball is the 45 degrees leg break which is in between but I use the square spinning leg break frequently and my wrong 'un definitely isn't the best there is. But I suppose it has something to do with my flexible wrist, it's so flexible that I can almost bowl the wrist doosra:D not over a full 22 yards though... Guess I'm just an exception to the rule. ( if there is a rule that high arm bowlers are better at top spinning deliveries )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1396505407260983&l=3912454288370449029

Hey Guys, I'm new to the Big Cricket community, and am loving it already! I am a left arm leg spinner, like Abhi and had similar issues when I began bowling leg spin about a year ago. I am only a young cricketer and had the same issue as Abhi early on in my leg spin endeavors, I could only bowl a googly spinning away from the RHB. During our off season (March - September) I worked hard on developing a leg break. Doing this, I lost my googly and now only have my stock bowl, the leg break. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how I could get it back. Because without my googly I often can't bring the slips into play. I think that if I could master both the leg break and the googly! I would do much better.

Hey Guys, I'm new to the Big Cricket community, and am loving it already! I am a left arm leg spinner, like Abhi and had similar issues when I began bowling leg spin about a year ago. I am only a young cricketer and had the same issue as Abhi early on in my leg spin endeavors, I could only bowl a googly spinning away from the RHB. During our off season (March - September) I worked hard on developing a leg break. Doing this, I lost my googly and now only have my stock bowl, the leg break. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how I could get it back. Because without my googly I often can't bring the slips into play. I think that if I could master both the leg break and the googly! I would do much better.

My advice, If you want to be a successful left arm leggie then you MUST have a well disguised wrong un. I'll assume you bowl on turf wickets. I don't think there's a great deal of value in turning the ball square either. Most (RH) batsmen will look to hit with the spin over wide mid on to cow corner. Without the uncertainty that the ball might go the other way then they can do this with some confidence, and you don't want to be relying on 3 catchers on the boundary to take your wickets.

I'd say you need to push it through a little quicker to right handers, and bowl the wrong un with a little more regularity than you would to left handers. But for now work on spinning the ball both ways with a similar action, look at how brad hogg bowls.

Thankyou! I have a relatively sharp turning leg break with plenty of bounce, my googly which I don't bowl very often does not turn much at all and I don't have much control. I suppose it's all about practice. As soon as I can reliably throw up a well hidden googly I will do so often to the RHB. Thanks again, will start practicing as soon as possible.

Just do it in stages - start with a perfectlying a leg break with loads of topspin, then just straight topspin, then start taking it the other way - just 6 inches will do.

Thankyou! I have a relatively sharp turning leg break with plenty of bounce, my googly which I don't bowl very often does not turn much at all and I don't have much control. I suppose it's all about practice. As soon as I can reliably throw up a well hidden googly I will do so often to the RHB. Thanks again, will start practicing as soon as possible.
Ithink you should understand that you can be a good leg spinner without the googlyy there are a lot of other variations such as the slider which are as effective, if not more than the the googly

I learnt the googly by practicing the release hand to hand until it felt second nature. Then underarm over a short distance, round arm, overarm (in other words the Philpott menthod). After that it was far easier to incorporate it into the full action. I still practice it as part of hand to hand drills.

Back