Left Arm Orthodox Tips

NIFFtheLEFTY

Hi my coach wants me to bowl left arm orthodox so I'm just starting out. Can get resonible spin and pace but can't get much flight or dip.Help?

Have you been bowling before with a different type of bowling? Being a leggie, I probably can't help you out much with the technical side of things. One thing I will say is that to get dip you need to get top-spin or over-spin on the ball so try coming over the top of the ball - you don't want pure top-spin but probably around 45 degrees would do.

Its quite hard to get dip as a finger spinner, a lot harder than it is for a leggie, but as a general rule its not completely essential.

grip it and rip it.

wrist position: palm facing the batsman (spin is totally sideways) through to palm facing sideways (all topspin), play around with this. As loopylegspinner says, 45 degrees is good.

enjoy.

If you want any other discussion or tips, let me know. I bowl left arm spin too.
I'm a left arm offie and have a pretty good stock ball which I land 99/100 but i don't have different deliviries i only vary my flight and pace. what kind of variations do you have?

Also how do you deal with bowling to left handers?

I'm a left arm offie and have a pretty good stock ball which I land 99/100 but i don't have different deliviries i only vary my flight and pace. what kind of variations do you have?

Also how do you deal with bowling to left handers?

Varying flight, pace, line are all important, but I think it helps to have one "big" variation that completely takes the batsman off guard. I bowl a chinaman that I work hard to disguise, most batsmen struggle to pick it. My aim is to dismiss every batsman within 18 balls. After that, they have normally figured me out and I become less effective.

You don't have to bowl a chinaman, other ideas are a topspinner or a slider, depending on what would provide the most variation from your stock ball.

To lefthanders, you must pitch the ball up outside off and make them cover drive you. Lefthanders love the ball turning into their pads, if you let them hit you through the legside they will score runs by the sackload.

Back