Leg Glance

Rohitpatel

Leg Glance

When I play the leg glance it always goes square and towards the fielder. It goes finer only if it hits my pads but I dont get the runs for that. How can I play it finer so that I score more boundaries?

Re: Leg Glance

I'm no batter but try and turn the bat and you play the shot. So when it comes off it will go much finer and it will be spinning alot so it may go quicker.

I tend to sort of turn a bit as well,if its full move your feet back and turn your bat and dont stay facing the bowler, turn your body.

Im not much of a batter either, but thats how i do it.

My advice would be that you are probably playing the shot a bit too early, hence it goes square rather than finer.

How late you play the shot will determine how fine it goes.

Also you need to make sure you are properly inside the ball. A common problem is not going "back and across" far enough to get your pads out of the way to allow a proper swing of the bat.

Check how Ricky Ponting plays it. He's the best in the business at it. He just has a slight tendency of falling over and falling LBW early in the innings.

DarrenTalbotCricket said:
My advice would be that you are probably playing the shot a bit too early, hence it goes square rather than finer.

How late you play the shot will determine how fine it goes.

Also you need to make sure you are properly inside the ball. A common problem is not going "back and across" far enough to get your pads out of the way to allow a proper swing of the bat.
I have a tendency to leave this kind of deliveries; as they fetch me wide on leg side and an extra run.Do u think it is OK or there has to be change in thinking.

For me it's a bit too negative just to leave it - I think I'd rather see you play it unless it is very wide down the legside.

Would you rather score 4 runs down to fine leg or take 1 for the wide? I'd take the boundary every time.

This is a shot which takes more practice than many others. Get someone to feed a tennis ball to you onto your legs with a fair amount of pace and practice getting into the correct position and deflecting it as fine as possible down the leg side.

DarrenTalbotCricket said:
For me it's a bit too negative just to leave it - I think I'd rather see you play it unless it is very wide down the legside.

Would you rather score 4 runs down to fine leg or take 1 for the wide? I'd take the boundary every time.

This is a shot which takes more practice than many others. Get someone to feed a tennis ball to you onto your legs with a fair amount of pace and practice getting into the correct position and deflecting it as fine as possible down the leg side.

this is good advice, took me a long time to get used to it. would add that it may help to wear your pad slighlty loose so its a bit wider than in a game, means you move your feet more to compentsate and aids success in game with tightly done up pads

id say im quite a good exponent of the leg glance. if it on my pad i kinda turn my bat just so the shoulder of the bat is facing me, and have a decent flollow through not the most traditional way to play the shot, but normally it goes through the square/fine leg gap and get me a solid 4 runs.

Rohitpatel said:
When I play the leg glance it always goes square and towards the fielder. It goes finer only if it hits my pads but I don't get the runs for that. How can I play it finer so that I score more boundaries?
thats almost exactly the same problem Ive been having, although i tend to play it a bit more through mid wicket. my dad was teaching me how to play it, and he said you should play it with the full face of the bat and then roll the wrists

Still struggling with it been working in the garden on the concrete and keep seeming to hit my leg when i try to get the ball thusfore keep getting hit on the pads. any ideas?

jimmy33 said:
thats almost exactly the same problem Ive been having, although i tend to play it a bit more through mid wicket. my dad was teaching me how to play it, and he said you should play it with the full face of the bat and then roll the wrists

If the shot is not natural to you, then that is definately the best approach.

learning to play in a hall at the back of my house, so yeah the leg glance isnt going to be a sucessful shot :laugh:

I've been practising a wide variety of strokes in my garden, when its been fairly dry. we have some decking, with patio next to that, so i got our little excercise trampoline, hold the bat in my left hand throw the ball as hard as i can into the trampoline and then play my strokes. The trampoline is 4-5m away from me, so it helps my reactions, and has definetly helped my wrist speed and reaction time to playing leg-side strokes. Before i started using it i had no leg-side shots, except the pull off a short ball, which i'd only played 3 times in a game, scored 5 runs from the times i've played it, but that was my only leg-side stroke. I have no developed a finer leg glance which would go behind square, and then a more powerful square leg glance, this one does have more chance of catching a top edge though, but when timed powers away. It's a really nice training method, was especially handy last night, was practising at 5pm, in almost darkness and still managing to hit the ball (i use a tennis ball btw). Really handy training method, if you have an excercise trampoline and patio to hand.

Haha yeah I do that sometimes when I have nothing to do, except it is a large trampoline and it is angled slightly diagonal away from me, so the ball comes off slowly, but it is still useful to help me drive better and learn to wait before I put my foot out.

May sound stupid, but i tend to imagine i'm opening a bottle of beer when i play it, i push by top hand down to give the ball a good old "punch," which usually works, although it must be said, leg side i suffer to terrible shots so i shall be reading through this as i'm sure i could pick up some hints ;)

Back