Low % Body Fat

Auzayr

Low % Body Fat

Hi,
How can I lower my body fat, Liz, as you being the fitness expert, have you helped people lower their body fat %, I really need to know what to do. I would like to lower my body fat % to about 10% and then I would like to start serious weightlifting. Is this dangerous for my age (16)?

Thanks

Re: Low % Body Fat

I don't work with fat loss Auzayr, I work with muscle mass. However, as your muscle mass increases, your body fat decreases; it's one of those universal balances ;)
Unless you're obese, forget your body fat. The human body requires an adequate level of fat storage. It protects the internal organs, insulates the body, insulates the nerve cells, is vital for growth, development and repair of body tissues and for energy.

We can actually carry 15-25kg easily whilst still appearing slim. Each kg equates to about 7700 kcals.

10% is far too low for a 16 year old and reducing your fat intake less than 30% of your daily calorie intake can put your health at risk.

As you say you want to reduce your bodyfat to 10%, you obviously know what it is now. What is it? and How did you measure it?

As for serious weightlifting, if you get professional help, go for it. However, I would like to see you proficient at bodyweight exercises first.

I have to undergo hydrostatic testing in a few weeks, which will be interesting.

Auzayr - what method did you use to determine your body fat percentage?

mas cambios;268303 said:
I have to undergo hydrostatic testing in a few weeks, which will be interesting.

Wow! Now that's pretty... dedicated ;)

Although I do hope you mean Hydrostatic body fat testing and you're not checking for leaks in your pressure vessel :D

I hope you enjoy the experience. Do let us know how you get on.

Liz Ward;268302 said:
I don't work with fat loss Auzayr, I work with muscle mass. However, as your muscle mass increases, your body fat decreases; it's one of those universal balances ;)
Unless you're obese, forget your body fat. The human body requires an adequate level of fat storage. It protects the internal organs, insulates the body, insulates the nerve cells, is vital for growth, development and repair of body tissues and for energy.

As for serious weightlifting, if you get professional help, go for it. However, I would like to see you proficient at bodyweight exercises first.

Agreed. I answered Auzayr's question in my podcast recently (he emailed it to me).

My main point was the same. Focus on cutting the junk food and replacing it with whole foods, plenty of vegetables, lean protein and getting plenty of exercise (especially with resistance).

Let the fat look after itself.

That would work excellently, Memories knows how to cut fat. But it's blooming extreme. Not sure that's the type of advice to give out to a 16 year old without any idea of their health history or what they are eating at the moment.

There are less exteme ways. Check Precision Nutrition.

Back