My Life = Cricket

Re: My Life = Cricket

yeah i agree with kizza... might b a little ambitious if u want 2 be bowling that speed now.. and 125-130 by the end of this yr is prob. unlikely.... dnt get down if u dnt reach that m8... the pace u have now is great :)

m8 one big problem u have in your schedule is.... WHERE IS YOUR REST DAY!!!!

i am a firm believer in having a rest day somewhere in your schedule... lets your body rest and prevents burning out... especially seeing you r doin all that at 15......

I've heard of 130kph at 15 but he only had it for 2 overs :p

Where do you field?

And yeh, i reckon you need a rest day. Year 10 plus all the cricket and training will be hectic, you won't be able to keep your head if you have a tight schedule IMO, well I wouldn't.

kizza said:
to be honest mate to be 15 and be bowling 120 isnt likely to happen

Though it is rare, it's not unheard of. For all we know he may be 6 foot tall with very long levers and able to generate that kind of pace.

I would agree with that Aussie_Boy that you may need to factor in a rest day somewhere to your schedule. You're probably still growing so should be wary of placing too many demands on your body or else wear and tear injuries may become common as you get older.

yeh 130 is like wat stuart clark and stuff bowl man if u bowl that fast why dont u try out for rep cricket if u hav that in nz??
but i don mean to be like mean or anything but its nearly impossible to bowl that speed at 15
u wood hav to be built as and to keep it up u wood hav to be extremely fit

He says that at the moment he averages about 110kph but would like to build it up to 120kph by the end of 2008, which is a reasonable target (whether it's attainable is another matter). I think 110kph is in the correct region for someone of his age, but without seeing him bowl I have to take his word for it.

It says that he been trying out for representative cricket but an injury at one trial cost him and he was overlooked for the second, but did get noticed at the last minute.

110 at the moment?
gee i hvnt had my spepd cheked in a while its all estimates ill hav to get it checked

As I said it's hard to say but I see no reason why a tall\big 16 year shouldn't be able to average 110 - 115 (maybe 120) on a regular basis. It comes down to a few things though and of course people develop at different rates.

Some people may naturally be quicker at 16 than their peers but then fail to develop further, others may be slower but then suddenly pick up a few extra yards of pace at 18/19.

Best thing is to get yourself measured accurately, then you know where you're at and what you can realistically aim for.

Unachievable goals are not the way to progress.

It's about striking a balance - goals that stretch you are necessary, but they have to be achievable. What is the point in setting an unrealistic goal and knowing this from the outset? You are aware you won't succeed, so it is a pointless exercise.

kallis fan said:
Unachievable goals are not the way to progress.

It's about striking a balance - goals that stretch you are necessary, but they have to be achievable. What is the point in setting an unrealistic goal and knowing this from the outset? You are aware you won't succeed, so it is a pointless exercise.

Very true. Goals are things you can control like improving your fitness work or working on your technique.

That long term goal is dependent on many, many factors.

I'll use the straight drive as an example.

A player is unable to competently play the straight drive. Two cones were placed either side of the feeder and the player only managed three through the cones from twenty attempts.

The player is now able to set a target - say fifteen out of twenty attempts through the cones in a period of a month.

It is these short term cones based on individual aspects of their game that help players reach their long term goal.

Well you've got to maintain a sense of realism whilst stretching yourself to the absolute limit.

What if reaching a team is way beyond a player's capabilities, yet he still has this as a goal.

When he doesn't reach this team the player becomes deflated and so we go on.

Set these goals with someone else - someone who you know, you like and crucially is aware of your capabilities.

First off, I'm not too experienced with the system in NZ.

It's all relevant. I'm not sure how good you are to gage whether or not it is realistic.

Striving to be the best you can be is fine and a great attitude to have. But you should really consider a coach/mentor working alongside you to set these goals.

how fast should i be bowling?
im 14 turning 15 in under a month nd im 6ft going on 6ft1?? any ideas?

I was gonna post this in the 'how fast are you' thread, but since kizzzzzza posted it, yeh, how fast should I be bowling, second year u14, I'm 14 in like 15 days (20 bucks will be fine, thanks :p). Thanks.

Ooo, I know someone who bowled 100k in u12s off like a 5 step run-up :eek:

I really wanna find out what speed I am, but yeh, I swing it a mile and i've been told I can swing any ball given to me, lol.

Hi Kyneo,

You're something special... give me an athlete and I will give you a cricketer, or a footballer, or a rugby player, or anything you want ;)

Your training will have to be different from the normal cricketer but you are on the right tracks. I hope you will stay with us and keep us updated of your progress; I have great hopes for you.

Your main hurdle is that your primary training must, and does, utilise your, more than fair share, of Type 1 muscle fibres. You now have to train your Type 2 fibres, possibly trying to retrain your Type 2a fibres to acquire the characteristics of Type 2b fibres.

You need more Motor Fitness training to improve the quality of your nervous system in getting messages through to your muscles.

You really do need to ease off the training a little with a rest day; of course, this does not necessarily mean you do 'nothing'.

Not all athletes will succumb to OTS (over-training syndrome) and I suspect you will not be one of them but you do need to keep an eye on the symptoms:

Decreased performance;
Increased depression and anxiety;
Increased susceptibility to infection;
Increased resting heart rate;
Sleep disturbances;
Increase in catabolic, compared with anabolic, hormones; and
Increased incidence of injuries.

You must work harder on your core: http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/ and you must look after your rotator cuff: http://www.harrowdrive.com/how-to-protect-your-shoulder-from-cricket-injury/

Big biceps are your enemy but you do need functional strength in your upper arms.

Your goals are great... for you. You go for them!

In answer to Kizza, ag23 and Jonesy with regards to how fast they should be bowling, well, the honest answer is how long is a piece of string?

There is no guideline for where you should be or what you should able to hit pace wise. Though you can make a fast bowler (to some extent) to be expressly quick, you still need to have the raw ingredients.

The best thing at your ages is to just work hard on the basics and not really worry too much about pace as it's all relative - your average 14 year old isn't going to like facing anything around 100 - 110kph, where as your average club cricketer is going to be used to it.

Pace will come as you get stronger and develop, just make sure that you the right framework for it to use (core, flexibility etc).

Back