New Zealand in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Zealand in England

what a great finish to the game that was, i was at the ground for the whole 4th day was a great atmosphere, strauss and pietersen batted beautifully and vaughan was good at times. Best part was the crowd, was sitting next to the barmy army so there was a great atmosphere, stupid moment of the day had to be pietersen's run out running after the fielder has the ball in his hand who's only half way to the rope is silly at any time.

can't see Anderson being kept for the South Africa series but he's still only 25 so has time on his hands to get more consistent. That's what is so frustrating about him - his inconsistency. Stuart Broad and Sidebottom should be kept (Broad cos he is a good bowler but seems like one of those unlucky ones who bowls well but hasn't got many wickets yet and cos it would do his confidence alot of good if the selectors stuck with him). So Andersons Replacement - Hoggard or Flintoff? Would like to see them both back in but that would mean either dropping Broad or dropping a batsman which i can't really see happening.

Flintoff is the logical choice, as he is probably the best bowler we have (well, certainly in the top 3) and would be a decent no.7 batsman. The big question mark is fitness - can he last 5 days?

I would be tempted to drop Anderson for Jones later in the summer and maybe have Freddie in for a batsman, but pick Prior over Ambrose. Bat Prior at 6, Flintoff at 7, Broad at 8 and Sidey at 9. Then Jones and Panesar would argue over no.11. It would give a good rounded attack (which I don't think picking Hoggard would do) and it doesn't look too long a tail. The only problem really is which batsman to drop for it, especially if the team are struggling for runs. Bell looks to have a great future while Collingwood really does deserve to be in the team if he's on form.

jelly beanz i have to agree with you with most of that england need a decent strike bowler, new zealand made the bowling attack look very ordinary in the first innings at old trafford and it looked like we were short of a genuine fast strike bowler. Heaven help us if we continue fielding the same bowling attack against a team like south africa they'd be looking at 500+

Anderson should be picked ahead of Broad. He's bowled much better in recent times, and has been very consistent in this series. He's followed the captains instructions, bowled with hostility when required, and bowled an accurate spell when required aswell (start of NZ 2nd innings). He's a fantastic bowler, and is starting to gain that consistency, he's been our best quicky in this series so far, Sidebottom's been guilty of bowling too wide so far, economical, but not as threatening as normal.

Flintoff would just come in as a straight swap for Broad for me, with Flintoff bowling as part of a 4 man attack. Obviously he'll have to prove his fitness before coming in though.

Also, even considering bringing Jones back in yet is ludicrous. Even Worcestershire are not playing him in every game because of his fragile fitness levels, winter away tours will be his earliest hope of getting in the side I reckon.

One day squad annouced:

England one-day squad:
Paul Collingwood (Durham, capt), Alastair Cook (Essex), Tim Ambrose (Warks, wkt), Ian Bell (Warks), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Luke Wright (Sussex), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), Stuart Broad (Notts), Ryan Sidebottom (Notts), James Anderson (Lancs), Graeme Swann (Notts), Chris Tremlett (Hampshire).

Mustard is out so Ambrose will get some one day experience. Also means that we need someone to open, have a feeling that they may try Bopara and/or Wright.

Whilst there are rumours that I'm due a call up, I think it's safe to say that I'm looking more towards the South African series :laugh:

I think the team for the one dayers should be:

Cook
Wright
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood (c)
Bopara
Ambrose (wk)
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

Shah and Mascarenhas would feel sightly hard done by if this was the actual team, but I spose Mas could come in for Swann and Shah for Wright or Bopara.

Cook
Wright
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Shah
Ambrose
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

That'd be my team. I'd have preferred Mustard opening with Wright at 6 though. At least it gives Wright a good chance to impress, just hope he doesnt try and slog. He did well for Sussex last year opening the batting, so i'm guessing that'll be his position.

Cook
Wright
Pietersen
Bell/Bopara
Collingwood
Shah
Ambrose
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

Pretty similar to others but I'm undecided on Bell or Bopara.

Cook
Swann
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Shah
Mascheranas
Ambrose
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

Final test due to start and England looking for the 2-0 win and New Zealand will be trying to bring it back to 1-1.

Weather will seemingly be a factor once again (oh, the joy of a British summer) but with both batting line ups prone to collapse, who knows what may happen.

well this is a rather shocking batting display by England. Went from 84-2 to 86-5 i think in 3 overs after lunch, Bell and Colly getting ducks. Now 97-5 with KP 28*

A bit of a fight back to reach 180-5 at tea (watch me curse them now!). Need a big score from KP and at least 75 odd from Ambrose.

With Ambrose and KP gone the most we could really hope for now is about 320. Most likely we'll get around 300 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back