New Zealand in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Zealand in England

Yeah, that 7th wicket was crucial, give NZ a share of the spoils, if not the edge.

Need a good reply by the bowlers tomorrow.

Good fight back by England but Colly and Bell must be on borrowed time, they looked hopeless out there. Colly is so out of form that he's struggle to get into an junior XI at the moment.

Anderson frustrates me greatly, one minute he's distinctly average and next he bowls like this. I guess he is still only young (25ish?) so has time on his hands but if he got consistent he'd be an awesome bowler cos he's quick and swings it. Reckon he'll take 9 and Broad will nick the last wicket hehe

Anderson's consistency has been brilliant in this series, he's been far and away our best bowler in the series. Sidebottom has been awful, hasn't made the batsmen play often enough, has bowled too wide, Broad's been unlucky and has deserved more wickets, I can see him picking up a bagfull in 1 innings which will give him confidence and secure his place. Monty's been dependable as always, but we've not really seen much of him, has bowled well when required though.

I agree he's bowled well in this series but to go as far as saying sidebottom has been bad? Seriously? I'd take a look at the figures (below and before this game yes). Very even stevens and he hasn't been on form like you said but definately not bowled badly. I know theres 6 more wickets for Anderson there but on a batting track when the balls doing not alot he will be very exspensive and not take wickets, from watching him i don't believe that in these conditions he bowls on a line and trys to be patient.

Anderson - 67 overs 239 runs 10 wickets
Sidebottom - 89 overs 222 runs 10 wickets

Just my opinion.

Sidebottom is generally very consistent but I think he has had a slightly up and down series. He hasn't bowled badly just not to the high standards we've seen from him over the past 12 months.

Anderson is very inconsistent. Though his stats compare, 60% of those wickets have come in the one innings, which puts a spin on things. He has a lot of talent but really need to deliver more than 1 innings per series. The other problem is that when he's bad, he's very, very bad.

Very impressed with Broad today, ok, he had a chance but we all need a slice of luck. Thought he batted well and along with Anderson has put the game firmly in the hands of England.

yeah true MC at least he's still mid twenties and the other guys in contention of coming back into the England setup (Hoggard, Flintoff and S Jones are 31,31 and 29 respectively so i can't see them - especially the last two being around for a long time because of injuries etc.) so he's gonna have more chances. Can't see him being dropped for SA though because of this test but surely we will bring in one of those 3 bowlers (most likely hoggard or flintoff over jones) because the bowling attack is definately missing something and if we play like we have in the first two tests against the Saffers they will walk over us.

England win by an innings and nine runs for a 2-0 series victory. Saw none of the action so can't comment. :p

mas cambios said:
Anderson is very inconsistent. Though his stats compare, 60% of those wickets have come in the one innings, which puts a spin on things. He has a lot of talent but really need to deliver more than 1 innings per series. The other problem is that when he's bad, he's very, very bad.

I don't do A-Level Maths, but i'm pretty sure 7 out of 20 doesn't equate to 60% ;)

Was referring more to the post above where it said that he'd taken 10 at 23.9 (when he'd only taken the 6 on Friday evening) - didn't bother checking his actual stats but the point is still there - you need more than one good innings from a bowler, per series.

A good win for England although they still have a number of concerns, mostly in the batting. The one day series may have come at the right time for Colly and Bell in that they have a chance to get some form.

The bowling attack still feels a little weak, and I would expect Simon Jones (having taken 19 at a shade over 11 to date) to be seriously in contention by the 2nd test, however, he needs to remain fit between now and then and continue to take wickets.

Flintoff will probably come back in, fitness permitting but there is a small voice in the back of my head which says that he'll probably break down again before then.

If Simon Jones remains fit over the period following the ODi series, and one of the bowlers has a bad series, then he could definitely be set for a recall. He's incredibly dangerous when on form, as proven by his CC figures this season. Not sure he's quite fit enough for a 5 day test match though. Flintoff will definitely come straight back in though, hopefully in place of Collingwood.

My team for SA series would be:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell/Bopara
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Sidebottom
Jones/Anderson
Panesar

There we have a cracking bowling attack, but with the same amount of batting. I would possibly be tempted to bring Prior in for Ambrose aswell, and have Prior at 6 and Flintoff at 7. Prior's been immense this season, his keeping has been spot on and he's the best batsman in England at the moment. I think he'd perform brilliantly if he came back in, the confidence boost would be massive. Ambrose has been OK, but relies on the bowlers bowling short and wide at him, something that South Africa won't do, Steyn and Ntini have far more control than Martin and Mills.

good team but i'd still like Hoggard in there somewhere, looks like he's gonna struggle now to get back in regardless of how well he bowls.

Hoggard would be nice to have in there but I think that is a pretty spot on team, based on what we currently have.

I really want S Jones back in as he offers something different from what we currently have and I truly believe that the diversity of our bowling attack during the Ashes was the difference between the teams. You had out and out pace, conventional swing, reverse swing and accurate, fast bowling with good bounce, which looking at the above squad we get somewhere near to (just missing the out and out pace) plus we have a better spinner.

ODI series 1-1 after three matches (one rained off). Could go either way but a series draw looks likely.

What was Pietersen thinking? Trying to go big on his second ball, he had plenty of time for that.

Run rate is ok but we're losing wickets, need to consolidate a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back