Nrl

B

BigJeff

Nrl

what happened to the titans this past weekend, losing to the rabittohs- anyone catch.

for that matter, anyone up for some NRL talk?

Re: Nrl

I've a question about Rugby League. I'm a long-time fan of Rugby Union, but am just now getting into league. So my question: when a man is tackled, is there no contesting of the ball (i.e. ruck)? I've noticed that SOMETIMES the man that is tackled tries to fight to get free, but other times he just waits and the tackler(s) get off. What's the deal?

Wilbix;175183 said:
I've a question about Rugby League. I'm a long-time fan of Rugby Union, but am just now getting into league. So my question: when a man is tackled, is there no contesting of the ball (i.e. ruck)? I've noticed that SOMETIMES the man that is tackled tries to fight to get free, but other times he just waits and the tackler(s) get off. What's the deal?

they just try and get free to get up quicker and get the game moving especially when a team is caught short of defenders, thats what i think anyway, i'm no expert

The scoring is also different, correct? Details?

Is there a specific length of time the tacklers have to get off of the player they tackle? Also, what is a 40/20 (or some other combo of numbers I heard the commentator use)

Wilbix;175366 said:
The scoring is also different, correct? Details?

Is there a specific length of time the tacklers have to get off of the player they tackle? Also, what is a 40/20 (or some other combo of numbers I heard the commentator use)

not sure about the length of time for tackles, 4 points for a try, 2 for a conversion, 1 for a drop goal.

40/20 is where you kick the ball from behind your 40metre line and it rolls out over the oppositions 20metre line. I think if you achieve this you keep possession.

If you achieve a 40/20 kick you get a scrum feed where the ball went into touch (obviously it will be somewhere inside your own 20 metres)

fantastic sport League is.

Canterbury Bulldogs fan here. :D

Thanks for all the answers!!! It seems a more fan-friendly sport, with more speed and action.

That said, I'm the kind of guy that loves seeing teams grind it out for 8-10 phases of play. Love it when the big boys run a few phases (being a prop myself).

But League is starting to grow on me, I guess there's room for both in my world of fandom. :D

League is a real TV sport. As far as i'm concerned anyway. (having said that -i've never actually been to a game).

It's the English/Aussie version of American Football. You only get a few plays to go down the field before the other teams gets the ball.

The 2008 season has been a good one so far, The games Centenary year has certainly brang some very good contests, even if its only the 3rd round.

Im just hoping that the Penrith Panthers can beat the Rabbits so we get of the bottom of the table :)

aussieman;175615 said:
League is a real TV sport. As far as i'm concerned anyway. (having said that -i've never actually been to a game).

It's the English/Aussie version of American Football. You only get a few plays to go down the field before the other teams gets the ball.
I've been to a few games (Parra games + Storm games) and yeah it is a TV game - a great game - but a TV game nonetheless.

It may be rough, but isnt that part of its appeal to most? You get athleticism, skills, speed, ball control, and its also got strength, size and some rough stuff.

Its the perfect winter sport.

I don't know why some Vics have to always put it down- I'm a NSW lad, but I still don't mind the AFL. I don't follow it religously, but if its on tv I'll still watch it. ;)

i don't know why people knock the sport: it usually comes from the idea of not knowing the sport. you see the tackles, and it seems like there is no-idea to the game.

it's the same as knocking the NFL in the US because these big guys wearing padding and the like and a lot of people who don't understand the sport think they are girls for wearing the padding and helmets. the knocking of any sporting event comes from not knowing the details of the game.

I am a victorian and enjoy the sport at times. More of a fan that half follows the results of the Storm and when there are some big stories in the paper will read them.

But do love watching State of Origin. The first touch in that is electric.

I don't knock it but ill say this it isn't my favourite sport nor will it ever be. But i have an appreciation for what the big fellers do.

Back