ODI XI Selection Thread

I don't entirely disagree with you, however if that is the case then Michael Hussey should not play again and Brett Lee should not have been selected. There seems to be two policies in place. One for Vics and one NSW.All I am asking for is a little consistency and transparencey. Hodge has been scoring heavily in the one day arena for the past decade and he still cannot get a look in.Lee bowls a couple of overs in the Big bash and he is straight in, whilst Nannes twiddles his thumbs.

I agree that he should have been dropped a year ago from the test side but his one-day form hasn't waned in that period. His average last year was almost 46 which is fairly good for a guy who usually bats at 6 or 7 and his last three games he's averaging 80. Fairly hard to drop a guy on those stats even if he's getting on a bit and like I said his form in the side hasn't really dropped at all. That may come across as hypocritical but he's in the side and he's making runs so dropping a guy for that doesn't make any sense.

The test side is a different story in part, should have been dropped a year or so ago now he is is now our best batsman. But that's for another thread.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...rsh-faces-world-cup-axe-because-he-cant-bowl/

Can you believe this shit? Probably won't get picked because he can't bowl. What a load of crap.

I can believe that shit. This is our selectors after all. I'm not that surprised by anything they do any more and that sounds precisely the kind of brainlessness that they will indulge in.

Though dropping Badhands from the 20/20 team was a lovely move so they've gained a bit of credit there but they are so far in the red, they've a lot of backpayments to catch up.

That story about not having two skills (one of the other papers referred to Ferguson and Marsh as 'one-trick ponies') is even harder on Ferguson as he has a fine record already for Aus.

We've just got a look at what our ODI side is going to look at and the selectors
have predictably gone with an old side. They've learnt nothing from the test
series and previous ODI games.

We're persisting with guys like David
Hussey, Haddin, Lee, Bollinger and White who hasn't made runs this year at all.
Sure these guys are still decent players but they aren't likely to take us to a
world cup win and they aren't the future. Fair enough hanging onto older players
when there is none at state level doing any good but we have plenty of good
young players who should be playing ODIs.

Haddin is a rubbish keeper,
he's bloody shocking and his batting is not good enough to make up for it.
Hilditch loves him because he's a rubbish selector with NFI about cricket. White
is not making runs. David hussey is handy because of his bowling but he is not
as good of a batsman than Hodge by a long way. If we are going to go old Hodge
plays before Dave Hussey. Lee is still playing ok but he's not fast enough any
more to get international wickets with pace. Bollinger can't swing it and is not
that accurate. Johnson bowls pies in all forms of cricket except for that odd
occasion when the conditions give him swing. Johnson is a rubbish ODI bowler and
not a good enough batsman to play as an allrounder.

We have good young
players, but a selection comittee with no brains headed by an idiot.

What
the ODI team should be:

1. S. Watson - No brainer selection.
2. B. Hodge - Goes against youth policy but I don't think we should open with any one else and he is the best OD batsman in Australia.
3. A. Finch - One of the best OD bats around and a perfect age.
4. T. Pain (VC) - The best keeper batsman we have.
5. M. Clarke (C) - Will need to make runs.
6. M. Hussey - Here to save the day Bevan style.
7. D. Christian - damaging in form bat and a top wicket taker.
8. S. Smith - Is an allrounder, Hauritz who is now an allrounder is very close next in line here.
9. B. Lee - Can bat a bit and leeds the attack.
10. P. Siddle - Can bowl lines now.
11. M. Starc - The only left armer in Aust who swings the ball at good pace.

Squad
S. Taite - when he's not bowling fast he's no
good and he's not bowling fast or well at the moment and he's not fit.

C.
Ferguson - No form.

S. Marsh - No OD form.

M. Wade - Great record and a good keeper up there with Pain and ahead of Haddin arguably.

Hauritz - very handy spin all rounder who should never have been exiled.

B. Hilfenhaus - Reasonable back up but lacks bowling smarts and variation. OK ODI bowler.

O'Keefe - handy young all rounder.

OUT:
Haddin - Can't keep, not good enoug at batting to make up for it. Too old the be the future.

Johnson - Can only bowl in suitable conditions, mostly bowls pies, doesn't bat well enough to make up for it, too expensive. Can't bowl lines or hit the seam.

White - Hasn't made runs for a long time.

Bollinger - getting poor results, doesn't move the ball or bowl ultra fast. Is not accurate and can't bowl to a field.

D Hussey - very handy player but is not making runs and is too old.

Doherty - Just a bowler, nothing special. Poor fielder. Can't bat unlike Smith and Hauritz.

Clarke sux, get rid of him,.............PLEASE!
Watson holds our hopes make Hussey the skipper,...either one will be better than Clarke.
Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him?

Watching M. Hussey play now only confirms my opinion, even if we only get a season out of him, it will give us time to rebuild and find a permanent skipper.

Can't help but agree Jimbo. I thought Hussey was finished but if he and Watson had not been there the Poms would have whitewashed us. Haddin was woeful last night and showed he is not upto it and should be let go. The commentators ofcourse believed that Haddin is a star. Clarke came in playing like it was a Test Match and the crowd started booing him.
Clarke out, Finch in.Then they bring in Smith why???? Talk about overrated for a guy who has one shot ie leg side.
If Tait cannot bowl his 10 overs out then he should not be risked.Nannes in.

Finally, Marsh has been called up to the squad. There are probably a few others wondering if they will ever get a go or is this a bonus world cup for all the retiree's. We really are suffering in all forms of the game for Mr Hildich.

I would really appreciate it if the Aus batting coaches gave Phil Hughes a dvd of Shaun Marsh's innings and explained to him that players can hit balls through the leg side AS WELL as the off side behind and square of the wicket. In fact, players are allowed to hit the ball into the leg-side area all the way from fine leg to long on.

It's a legitimate part of cricket. Not some 'there be dragons' out of bounds area.

Another soft dismissal to Captain Clarke with the situation being absolutely ideal for him to find some form, the pressure would be starting to really mount.

After watching Jonathan Trott, I think I'll stop being so hard on Clarkey. Man, he was slow and selfish to a degree I've not quite seen before.

Michael Hussey: Surgery
Nathan Hauritz:Surgey
Shaun Tait:Lower back and leg injury and I cannot see him finishing a tour of India.
Michael Clark:Cannot buy a run.His technique and confidence is aboslutely stuffed.
Rick Ponting: Surgery and badly out of form.
Haddin:Making runs but technique will be found out in the world cup.Keeps stepping cross his creae to give himself room to hit through the off side and gives the bowler a good look at this stumps.He is also a poor keeper.
Brett Lee: Bowling well and is looking good, but his elbow injury could blow up at any time.
Mitchell Johnson: Erratic, moody and you just don't know what you are going to get.

This is the team at this point heading off to India for the World Cup. It is not a 7 day tour, but they could be there for 2 months.It will end in tears for all concerned.If and when Ponting comes back who misses out? Probably White.So if they get Watson, and Ponting and Clarke follow this summers script we could 3/ for something trying to build an innings and relying on one batsman and bowlers who can bat.

After watching Clarke bat in the last four ODI's, he really just isn't good enough anymore. Too slow and nothing he has done has looked convincing. The side looks a lot better with Clarke and Ponting not playing.

Not impressed with Marsh batting at three, should either be opening or be batting at six. It's another decision which is just baffling considering Marsh has scored something like 170 runs from his last two innings at six.

What
the ODI team should be:

1. S. Watson - No brainer selection.
2. B. Hodge - Goes against youth policy but I don't think we should open with any one else and he is the best OD batsman in Australia.
3. A. Finch - One of the best OD bats around and a perfect age.
4. T. Pain (VC) - The best keeper batsman we have.
5. M. Clarke (C) - Will need to make runs.
6. M. Hussey - Here to save the day Bevan style.
7. D. Christian - damaging in form bat and a top wicket taker.
8. S. Smith - Is an allrounder, Hauritz who is now an allrounder is very close next in line here.
9. B. Lee - Can bat a bit and leeds the attack.
10. P. Siddle - Can bowl lines now.
11. M. Starc - The only left armer in Aust who swings the ball at good pace.

Squad
S. Taite - when he's not bowling fast he's no
good and he's not bowling fast or well at the moment and he's not fit.

C.
Ferguson - No form.

S. Marsh - No OD form.

M. Wade - Great record and a good keeper up there with Pain and ahead of Haddin arguably.

Hauritz - very handy spin all rounder who should never have been exiled.

B. Hilfenhaus - Reasonable back up but lacks bowling smarts and variation. OK ODI bowler.

O'Keefe - handy young all rounder.

OUT:
Haddin - Can't keep, not good enoug at batting to make up for it. Too old the be the future.

Johnson - Can only bowl in suitable conditions, mostly bowls pies, doesn't bat well enough to make up for it, too expensive. Can't bowl lines or hit the seam.

White - Hasn't made runs for a long time.

Bollinger - getting poor results, doesn't move the ball or bowl ultra fast. Is not accurate and can't bowl to a field.

D Hussey - very handy player but is not making runs and is too old.

Doherty - Just a bowler, nothing special. Poor fielder. Can't bat unlike Smith and Hauritz.

Sorry but this squad is laughable.

No:

Hodge: Shouldn't be anywhere near the team due to age and him being a pretty shit person overall.
Paine: Umm, what's he done to replace Haddin?
Clarke: Too slow, completely out of form. Offers the side very little except captaincy.
Christian: Glorified slogger. Looks pedestrian at international level with the ball.
Siddle: Haha, please. Tests only thanks.
Starc: Will be good but a long way from playing for Australia regularly. Needs more time with NSW.
Wade: More of a test option than a one-day player. Well behind Haddin and Paine for a spot.

Future:

Smith: Wouldn't have had him here but looked good tonight. Took wickets and keep trying even when the team wasn't going to win. Like Finch he's a player of the future.
Finch: A player of the future but he has played two T20I's, I'd like to see how he goes at the longest form of the short game first.
O'Keefe: Young but looks good. Still a way to go before playing for Australia regularly.

Maybe:

Lee: Generally good but can be inconsistent. Will either get spanked or completely dominate, we need him to dominate a lot more than what he does already.
Hilfenhaus: Needs to work on his bowling away from the side. Reasonable bowler but needs some tricks as he doesn't try enough things at the bowling crease.

Yes:

Watson: Australia's best player for the last six months.
M Hussey: Australia's second best player for the last few months.
Tait: Bowls quick but must bowl three or four spells in ODi cricket to be of full use.
Ferguson: Averages something like 47 for Australia in ODI cricket.
Marsh: Scored something like 170 runs in his last two innings at number six. Should definitely be in the squad either opening or in the middle order, not at number three.
Hauritz: Australia's best spinner, should be there if he isn't injured.
Haddin: Does well opening the batting and scores quickly. Hasn't done much wrong in the one-day arena to warrant being dropped.
Johnson: Easily in our best attack but should be first change.
White: A bit out of form, his ability to clear the small boundaries in India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh will be important though.
Bollinger: Good honest bowler who tries hard and gets results. The test version of Peter Siddle.
D Hussey: Picked up his form in the last two games. Handy spin option which will be needed on the subcontinent.
Doherty: Should be at the World Cup as Australia's second full-time spin option. He's a very intelligent one-day bowler and could cause problems for other sides along with Hauritz and potentially D Hussey. CA are gambling by not taking two full-time spinners to an environment which demands two full-time spin options.

My World Cup Squad

1. Watson
2. Haddin
3. DJ Hussey
4. MEK Hussey (c)
5. Ferguson
6. Marsh
7. White
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Lee
11. Bollinger

12. Tait
13. Smith
14. Doherty
15. Voges

After watching Clarke bat in the last four ODI's, he really just isn't good enough anymore. Too slow and nothing he has done has looked convincing. The side looks a lot better with Clarke and Ponting not playing.

Not impressed with Marsh batting at three, should either be opening or be batting at six. It's another decision which is just baffling considering Marsh has scored something like 170 runs from his last two innings at six.

Marsh should be at 6 as he is covering for Hussey. It annoyed me straight away when he was moved to 3. Makes no sense to have moved him back up when he is good at 6. I think it was just Clarke covering his own arse, but it hasn't worked, has it?

Michael Hussey: Surgery
Nathan Hauritz:Surgey
Shaun Tait:Lower back and leg injury and I cannot see him finishing a tour of India.
Michael Clark:Cannot buy a run.His technique and confidence is aboslutely stuffed.
Rick Ponting: Surgery and badly out of form.
Haddin:Making runs but technique will be found out in the world cup.Keeps stepping cross his creae to give himself room to hit through the off side and gives the bowler a good look at this stumps.He is also a poor keeper.
Brett Lee: Bowling well and is looking good, but his elbow injury could blow up at any time.
Mitchell Johnson: Erratic, moody and you just don't know what you are going to get.

This is the team at this point heading off to India for the World Cup. It is not a 7 day tour, but they could be there for 2 months.It will end in tears for all concerned.If and when Ponting comes back who misses out? Probably White.So if they get Watson, and Ponting and Clarke follow this summers script we could 3/ for something trying to build an innings and relying on one batsman and bowlers who can bat.

We've got Punter and MIke Hussey going into the World Cup off the back of injuries with no match practise and Clarke in the worst form - just about - of his career.

You could add Cameron White's dicey form. He has hardly middled it all summer. I can't see how this World Cup can end in anything but tears. Bet the selectors and the coach still keep their jobs though.

Don't start me on Haddin's keeping on top of all that.

Shambles.

No:

Hodge: Shouldn't be anywhere near the team due to age and him being a pretty shit person overall.
You have personal experience that he is a shit person? Could bat left handed and would do better than Haddin. He can actually play shots on the leg side as well.

Paine: Umm, what's he done to replace Haddin?

....Has a hear beat. Is an infinitely batter batsmen and can actually stand up to the stumps and keep to a spinner.Haddin is the most overated player in the Australian team just behind Clerke.

Clarke: Too slow, completely out of form. Offers the side very little except captaincy.
.....Made 50 and everything is forgiven. He has been annointed and will be the next Australian Captain.

Christian: Glorified slogger. Looks pedestrian at international level with the ball.
.....Better bat than Smith but comes from South Australia; cannot be considered.

Siddle: Haha, please. Tests only thanks.
.....Victorian who has a bit of ticker and will give evrything unlike his NSW compatriots who chuck it in when it gets too hard.

Starc: Will be good but a long way from playing for Australia regularly. Needs more time with NSW.
.....Agreed but is already injury prone.

Wade: More of a test option than a one-day player. Well behind Haddin and Paine for a spot.

......Wade will die before he gives it up, and that is what this Test team needs. Haddin has thrown it in so many times this summer it makes me sick to my stomach.

Future:

Smith: Wouldn't have had him here but looked good tonight. Took wickets and keep trying even when the team wasn't going to win. Like Finch he's a player of the future.

......Had more sunshine blown up his arse he will unbearable in a few years.

Finch: A player of the future but he has played two T20I's, I'd like to see how he goes at the longest form of the short game first.

......He has played T 20's because the selectors believe that Haddin is the best opener in the country when it comes to one dayers.(Hilditch's words)

O'Keefe: Young but looks good. Still a way to go before playing for Australia regularly.
......Threatens Smith, will not see the light of day.

Maybe:

Lee: Generally good but can be inconsistent. Will either get spanked or completely dominate, we need him to dominate a lot more than what he does already.

......World Cup and then retire him no if's or buts.

Hilfenhaus: Needs to work on his bowling away from the side. Reasonable bowler but needs some tricks as he doesn't try enough things at the bowling crease.

.......Like to see him use the crease.Any chance the bowling coach could get off his arse and do something?

********You have forgotton Moises Henriques. NSW has done everything to give this kid a go. If he makes two consecutive centuries he will play for Australia. Coolest name in cricket and this should alone guarantee him a game.
Yes:

Watson: Australia's best player for the last six months.
**********Agreed but plays for himself. if he is not interested he will show it the way he is dismissed.

M Hussey: Australia's second best player for the last few months.
************Hero and should be given the cricket equivalent of the VC.

Tait: Bowls quick but must bowl three or four spells in ODi cricket to be of full use.
**********Heart of a pee who will chuck it in the moment it goes against him. Only interested in the radar gun. Waste of a natural talent.

Ferguson: Averages something like 47 for Australia in ODI cricket.
*************Could seriously become the next brad Hodge as they seem to pluck someone else (NSW) ahead of him. Not sure if he has many fans on the selection panel.

Marsh: Scored something like 170 runs in his last two innings at number six. Should definitely be in the squad either opening or in the middle order, not at number three.
*****Agreed.

Hauritz: Australia's best spinner, should be there if he isn't injured.
**************Game over with his shoulder.

Haddin: Does well opening the batting and scores quickly. Hasn't done much wrong in the one-day arena to warrant being dropped.
**********Refer to previous scathing assessments.

Johnson: Easily in our best attack but should be first change.
***********Toss of a coin and depends what meds he is on.I would love to see him and Watson open the batting one day and just watch them tee off.

White: A bit out of form, his ability to clear the small boundaries in India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh will be important though.
**************Should be the skipper and get rid of Clarke who is a liability. Has given up bowling as he was told to do so, and therefore cannot be a threat to Smith.Needs to work on his technique if he wants to move upto Test level.

Bollinger: Good honest bowler who tries hard and gets results. The test version of Peter Siddle.
....and he is from NSW which is difficult to believe.

D Hussey: Picked up his form in the last two games. Handy spin option which will be needed on the subcontinent.
....for a Victorian.

Doherty: Should be at the World Cup as Australia's second full-time spin option. He's a very intelligent one-day bowler and could cause problems for other sides along with Hauritz and potentially D Hussey. CA are gambling by not taking two full-time spinners to an environment which demands two full-time spin options.
...agreed.

well we won the series and finally in Brisbane what looked like a team performance. Even Clarke managed a few runs which is good for him if it can keep going. It has to be said that the first three wins were all on the shoulders of individual performances and this is where the weakness lies for us at the moment. We maybe doing quite ok on the one day rankings but the way we play depending on someone doing something brilliant won't win the world cup. We need to find those all round team performances again that win the hard games like Adelaide.
Good to see Smith finding some form in the run up to the cup, but really Clarke's form and captaincy are ordinary. LIP86 asks what is wrong with Haddin's form, well mostly poor with the bat and does not look like an opener as well his keeping isn't a scratch on Paine's. Are we to leave Paine out simply because Haddin is competent enough and holds the spot or do we select the best team we can. Marsh was great in his first game but has struggled since being moved to cover for Clarke's inadequacies.
The team seems close maybe a couple of changes but where is the leadership?

Hodge: You have personal experience that he is a shit person? Could bat left handed and would do better than Haddin. He can actually play shots on the leg side as well.

Don't need to, his actions are pathetic enough. I watched him get out in the T20 game against NSW and then smash a sponsors sign with the bat and walk past some little kids asking for his autograph. Would those be the actions of a person who isn't a shit bloke?

There have been enough murmurs in recent years about Hodge not being the best person to play cricket. All those people couldn't possibly be all wrong.

Paine: ....Has a hear beat. Is an infinitely batter batsmen and can actually stand up to the stumps and keep to a spinner.Haddin is the most overated player in the Australian team just behind Clerke.

I don't think Paine is a better bat to be honest. He's a a much less attacking player than what Haddin is and doesn't strike the ball as well. Agree that Haddin's keeping is shit though.

Clarke:.....Made 50 and everything is forgiven. He has been annointed and will be the next Australian Captain.

Unfortunately you're right. Clarke did look a bit better though in game five, hopefully that's a sign of things to come. If he doesn't come good he could face real pressure soon.

Christian: .....Better bat than Smith but comes from South Australia; cannot be considered.

Far from being a better batter than Smith. Christian is a slogger who is able to smash the ball on the leg side a lot better than most. Handy for T20 cricket but useless for anything else, okay bowler but looks fairly pedestrian.

Siddle: .....Victorian who has a bit of ticker and will give evrything unlike his NSW compatriots who chuck it in when it gets too hard.

Not a one-day bowler at all, needs to be kept for test cricket where he does quite well. I agree that he has a lot of ticker but that's useless in a format where there are other players who are better.

Wade: ......Wade will die before he gives it up, and that is what this Test team needs. Haddin has thrown it in so many times this summer it makes me sick to my stomach.

Form hasn't been great though which he needs to improve to put pressure on Haddin and Paine. Probably third in line at the moment.

Future:

Smith: ......Had more sunshine blown up his arse he will unbearable in a few years.

Has talent which isn't going to miraculously develop into scoring 100's and taking 5fa every game which is what everyone expects at the moment. The media has blown most of the sunshine up his arse which he can't be blamed for.

O'Keefe: ......Threatens Smith, will not see the light of day.

I think Smith will be more of a batter as his career moves forward. O'Keefe has much more chance of being an all-rounder as he has been so good at both through his short first-class career so far. Like Cam White, I think Smith will be pushed towards improving his batting and forgetting for bowling for the most part. If he keeps taking wickets though that might change.

Maybe:

Lee: ......World Cup and then retire him no if's or buts.

No arguments from me.

Hilfenhaus: .......Like to see him use the crease.Any chance the bowling coach could get off his arse and do something?

Think Troy Cooley has outlasted his regin as bowling coach.

********You have forgotton Moises Henriques. NSW has done everything to give this kid a go. If he makes two consecutive centuries he will play for Australia. Coolest name in cricket and this should alone guarantee him a game.

I forgot him cause I think he's shit. Overhyped player, been promised for a few years now about his talents but nothing has happened in that time.

Yes:

Watson: **********Agreed but plays for himself. if he is not interested he will show it the way he is dismissed.

Don't think he plays for himself too much.

M Hussey: ************Hero and should be given the cricket equivalent of the VC.

Agreed. Could even be given the captaincy for the ODI's and have an understudy beneath him to learn for a year or so.

Tait: **********Heart of a pee who will chuck it in the moment it goes against him. Only interested in the radar gun. Waste of a natural talent.

Being constantly injured probably has an effect on him. Still has a lot to offer in the one-day game provided he stays fit and keeps the right mindset.

Ferguson: *************Could seriously become the next brad Hodge as they seem to pluck someone else (NSW) ahead of him. Not sure if he has many fans on the selection panel.

Playing today so not far off being in the first XI.

Hauritz: **************Game over with his shoulder.

Bit early to write him off. Probably won't play the World Cup but would still be their best option once he returns to full fitness.

Haddin:**********Refer to previous scathing assessments.

Already made a few points on Haddin above.

Johnson: ***********Toss of a coin and depends what meds he is on.I would love to see him and Watson open the batting one day and just watch them tee off.

Need some proper coaching I feel. He has the goods but doesn't produce it often enough but his best is brilliant, his worst is awful.

White: **************Should be the skipper and get rid of Clarke who is a liability. Has given up bowling as he was told to do so, and therefore cannot be a threat to Smith.Needs to work on his technique if he wants to move upto Test level.

Will be captain eventually for sure. Would like to see him under Hussey for about a yera but that won't happen, his apprenticeship will be done under Clarke.

Great win last night to chase down 333. Clarke for once this season batted well and looked full of confidence. Granted the pitch was a road, but still did it. Ferguson looked good and the gamble with Johnson worked. Just as the team seems to be getting some form and rhythm, Ponting will come back as skipper. Not sure how Clarke will feel about this and really he should not be placed into this position. The batting line up will have to accomodate him naturally at 3 which means someone will miss out. If I was Cam White he would want to make a ton in the last match as it looks bad for him at the moment.Ponting retired from one day cricket and should stay retired. Hussey will struggle to get fit in 2 weeks, whilst Marsh has a chronic hamstring problem which he cannot get right.Tait bowled poorly. Yes it was a great win, but now we need the selectors to stand up and pick a team that will be fit and strong, and not carrying players because of their reputations.
I would still love to see Hodge opening and have Haddin (preferably Paine/Wade) floating between 5-8 depending on how he would be required.
Likely team:
Watson
Haddin (uhhhh)
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey D
Hussey M (White & Ferguson & Marsh as cover)
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hastings
Pea Heart Tait.

Back