ODI XI Selection Thread

Clarke should stay at 5. Looked so much happier there. I wish the selectors and whoever else has a say would see him as the lower order batsman he is in ALL formats and stop dumping him into the top 4.

I like the team without Punter and he is going to have to fire when he comes back as he has been out of form all summer and if he takes a few games at the WC to find some rhythm it will look like absolute shyte to have brought him back.

Voges is ok, he's only there to save on the airfare for someone else.

Personally I dont think we should be taking anyone with an injury cloud over them into the World Cup. That includes Ponting, Mike Hussey and Tait. My XI and squad would be-

S. Watson
A. Finch
C. White
M. Clarke
C. Ferguson
B. Haddin
S. Smith
M. Johnson
B.Lee
X. Doherty
D.Bollinger

D. Christian
T. Paine
P. Cummins
D. Nannes

Great win last night to chase down 333. Clarke for once this season batted well and looked full of confidence. Granted the pitch was a road, but still did it. Ferguson looked good and the gamble with Johnson worked. Just as the team seems to be getting some form and rhythm, Ponting will come back as skipper. Not sure how Clarke will feel about this and really he should not be placed into this position. The batting line up will have to accomodate him naturally at 3 which means someone will miss out. If I was Cam White he would want to make a ton in the last match as it looks bad for him at the moment.Ponting retired from one day cricket and should stay retired. Hussey will struggle to get fit in 2 weeks, whilst Marsh has a chronic hamstring problem which he cannot get right.Tait bowled poorly. Yes it was a great win, but now we need the selectors to stand up and pick a team that will be fit and strong, and not carrying players because of their reputations.
I would still love to see Hodge opening and have Haddin (preferably Paine/Wade) floating between 5-8 depending on how he would be required.
Likely team:
Watson
Haddin (uhhhh)
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey D
Hussey M (White & Ferguson & Marsh as cover)
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hastings
Pea Heart Tait.

Was really a good performance with the bat by a group of players, fantastic to see. The team are going better than i thought they would but it is only England. The question for the world cup is how we deal with the subcontinent's slow pitches. I don't think all those fast bowlers will be a good idea over there. We will need to slow the ball and make the batsman do the work.
Ricky will have to work his way back in but without doubt this is his final opportunity to find form. Haddin is truly horrible but the selectors love him, also why has the heat come off Hildich, he is still hopeless.

Personally I dont think we should be taking anyone with an injury cloud over them into the World Cup. That includes Ponting, Mike Hussey and Tait. My XI and squad would be-

S. Watson
A. Finch
C. White
M. Clarke
C. Ferguson
B. Haddin
S. Smith
M. Johnson
B.Lee
X. Doherty
D.Bollinger

D. Christian
T. Paine
P. Cummins
D. Nannes

Once again my selection is proven wrong. Dussey must go!

Callum Ferguson looks like he can't play spin on that showing. Awful. White is still looking duff. Johnson, Punter, Paine, White and Watson played aggressive shots which were unnecessary with such a low rr. Really quite brainless stuff.

MJ annoyed me as he was looking ok against the spin bowlers, well compared to most of the middle order anyway.

Another Clarke failure, getting boring really. Do remember it was a practice match and some of them are looking for the pace of the slow Indian strip, never mind a few big ones missing the worry is more the middle order looking fragile.

A win is a win, but the Aussies looked like a bunch of debutants when they were batting.Everyone was afraid to fail.Krejzer is going to be slaughtered when we play the better teams.Hussey needs to bat at four.We should qualify for the Quarter finals, but then it will end pretty quickly.

Should be a good game tonight between Australia and SL. A lot of talk about who is to go over to replace Bollinger whether that be M.Hussey, a quick or a spin option. Ideally I'd like Hussey as he is our best ODI batsman imo, the long breaks between games could work in his favour as the quicks can get rest. I guess a lot depends on tonight's game against quality opposition, if they are worried about a certain player/s performances that may be what influences their decision.

Well the game was a wash out and in terms of making the decision as to who to send over there it was not a good result. I took it that the selectors were milling around waiting to see where they had left the gaping whole in the team so they could send what they need to cover the mistake. Things are going ok so far, but i still have no faith in Hildich.

Pretty happy with that, we need Hussey and Nannes would do a good job if someone goes down. I guess another spin option would've been handy, a lot resting on Krezja..

Back