Pensioner Pages

Re: Pensioner Pages

Liz Ward;364241 said:
Unlikely to be bruising of the calcaneus; there is little there to bruise. If there was bruising in this area, you would be unable to put any weight on it at all and it certainly would not ease after a few minutes.

Symptoms are not consistant with plantar fasciitis at the moment but it is always worth bearing in mind. Causes of plantar fasciitis are poor biomechanics and tight calf muscles.

Now that sounds familiar - The tight calf muscles. Could this be due to inadequate warming up as I don't recall warming up much recently. I'm assuming that if I was to warm up correctly the tight calf muscles wouldn't be such a big issue and I'd be less likely to suffer 'Plantar Fasciitis'?

A warm up will help but it will not loosen tight muscles. You need to stretch everyday to improve flexibility... or, of course, you could have regular sports massage ;)

A warm up, with dynamic flexibility is vitally important prior to any activity. It is designed to mobilise muscles and joints already in good condition. Development stretches afterwards are just as important to lengthen muscles contracted during activity before they have a chance to cool down.

take up Yoga Dave, that will get your loosened up and flexible!

ive started stretching every day, nothing extreme, just the same basic stretches i do before exercise. ideally i need to see a physio to get my issues sorted but my wallet disagrees lol, so instead im stretching every day to get a bit more flexible and hopefully that will in turn reduce the tension in my muscles (not sure if it works like that though). i feel a lot more relaxed and "loose" when it then comes to playing cricket later in the week though having stretched for 20 mins every day.

once the cricket season ends (very soon) and i dont need to worry about not aching all week il start doing some proper exercise, running and stuff. i need to get in shape and get fit, i get out of breath taking quick singles when im batting, its really not good lol. and im only 24!!! so sounds like youre not doing too badly really Dave.

Yeah that sounds like an idea but 20 minutes a day sounds like hell. I'm supposed to be doing 20 minutes a day power walking and 20 minutes a day doing general exercises shoulders core strength and what have you - come Sunday I'll be knackered LOL!

just stretching is effortless. you can do it in front of the TV. dont take my word for it because my stretching regime might be really bad lol, but what i do is...

forward leaning calf stretches against a doorframe (one foot forward, one foot back, lean forward onto front foot and keep back foot on the floor)

backward leaning hamstring? stretches (opposite of above)

sideways leaning groin? stretches (sideways version of above)

feet shoulder width apart, legs straight, bend and touch the floor (or try to at least)

pull your foot up to your bum quadraceps stretches

fingers locked and push your palms away from your chest as far as you can stretch, and the opposite version behind the back

pull arm across your chest and turn head away stretch

push elbow down your back stretch

twist wrists around each other palms together and reach for the sky stretch

and i basically just repeat those. i dont know the proper names for any of them though as you can tell!! if Liz or David know any good stretches for the back and shoulders then there is probably an absence of those stretches in my routine. ive never been shown a stretch that i havent been told at some point or another is risky/dangerous/bad by someone else, so i just avoid doing them. i get my back and shoulders loose by gently using them initially and then building up the workload.

without wanting to hijack Daves thread, although im sure that the information im asking for is both relevant and useful to the topic at hand...

im doing the stretches i stated before exercise for about 10-15 mins, then some light jogging, with some extras thrown in (kicking backside, raising knees, crossing legs over and twisting hips, etc) and then i gradually build up my bowling, starting out just gently delivering the ball not caring where it goes, stretching between deliveries until eventually i feel completely loose.

i then go about my cricket, and afterwards i do all the stretches again for 10-15 mins, then go home.

is that the correct process? in one of those threads you linked to (which are very useful, thanks!) someone said about only doing the stretches AFTER exercise. so now im a little confused as i played football from the age of about 4 and doing laps around the pitch and stretching were the keys to the warm up prior to any activity, followed by a similar warm down after. so its the way ive always known.

I do some of these stretches before I play, not quite as many as you've suggested. If you were to do (Calf muscles) the stretches and then end up fielding in a relatively quiet position or somewhere were you just managed to stop the ball with no requirement to run, would the muscles them stiffening up again?

my legs tighten up big time in the field!! to the point that they sometimes hurt afterwards, even though ive barely moved lol. just standing up for long periods seems to have some kind of adverse effect. i try to stretch my legs in the field between deliveries which seems to help.

another thought i had a moment ago when i glanced at the powerball sat on my desk, is whether or not a powerball is of help for stiff wrists, arms, shoulders, etc? i use mine a few times a day for a few mins at a time because i find it stops me feeling any RSI pains when typing lol. i did a quick search on here figuring someone must have mentioned one before and sure enough they have and Liz has put up all sorts of advice. i figured that getting the powerball rotating and then holding my arm in my "bowling position" might help my rotator cuff strength and freedom of movement, is that a sensible idea? also, how about slowly moving my arm through its actual delivery movement whilst holding a powerball? any benefits to be had?

Yeah I do the same - I stretch when the balls out of play, but it doesn't seem to help much. I think I need to do something in the morning. I like the sounds of the swinging leg routine.

Jim2109;364261 said:
...im doing the stretches i stated before exercise for about 10-15 mins, then some light jogging, with some extras thrown in (kicking backside, raising knees, crossing legs over and twisting hips, etc) and then i gradually build up my bowling, starting out just gently delivering the ball not caring where it goes, stretching between deliveries until eventually i feel completely loose.

i then go about my cricket, and afterwards i do all the stretches again for 10-15 mins, then go home.

is that the correct process?...

Static stretches are really a 'no no' within an hour of activity. Have a look at...

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57476/

...particularly

Originally Posted by Liz Ward
Static Stretches are not only irrelevant within the game of cricket but are most likely to cause injury and loss of power.
[Kokkonen, Nelson and Cornwall 1998].

Static Stretching resulted in peak force reduction: 5% reduction in rate of force production and 8% decrease in Achilles tendon reflex activity.
[Rosenbaum and Hennig 1995]

Static Stretching resulted in a decrease in torque during eccentric contractions.
[Oberg 1993]

Static Stretches decrease eccentric strength by 9% for up to one hour.
[Bennett 1999]

This applies to all activity, including football ;)

someblokecalleddave;364267 said:
I do some of these stretches before I play, not quite as many as you've suggested. If you were to do (Calf muscles) the stretches and then end up fielding in a relatively quiet position or somewhere were you just managed to stop the ball with no requirement to run, would the muscles them stiffening up again?

Dave, the best way to keep your calf muscles in optimum condition in the field is to stand, feet parallel [very important!], hip width apart. Slowly rise on to your toes, as high as you can get and without stopping, slowly lower on to your heels, continuing by raising your toes so that you are on the back edge of your heels. Repeat often.

Liz Ward;364316 said:
Static stretches are really a 'no no' within an hour of activity. Have a look at...

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57476/

...particularly

Originally Posted by Liz Ward
Static Stretches are not only irrelevant within the game of cricket but are most likely to cause injury and loss of power.
[Kokkonen, Nelson and Cornwall 1998].

Static Stretching resulted in peak force reduction: 5% reduction in rate of force production and 8% decrease in Achilles tendon reflex activity.
[Rosenbaum and Hennig 1995]

Static Stretching resulted in a decrease in torque during eccentric contractions.
[Oberg 1993]

Static Stretches decrease eccentric strength by 9% for up to one hour.
[Bennett 1999]

This applies to all activity, including football ;)

interesting, il have to try a "dynamic" warmup from now on then and see if it works out better. this might be totally unrelated, but generally it takes me about an hour after ive stretched out and warmed up before my bowling starts to work properly. who knows, maybe this is a direct result of my static warm up!!!

So let's see if I've got this right now.

1. Wake up in the morning and I'm feeling a bit achey and stiff in the feet region, the swinging back and forth gradually building up to a more vigorous swing will ease me into a good start rather than hobbling around like an old dog for 5 minutes till I loosen up.
2. Get to the pitch early have at least 15 minutes warming up a la David Hinchcliffe video style.
3. To stay loose do the stretches as described above by Liz whilst in the field.
4. Warm down using stretching techniques?

On non exercise/playing days I should just do stretches?

I would just add that before you get out of bed, mobilise the ankles; push your toes away and towards you and rotate in both directions. Full range of motion in all directions.

Liz Ward;364377 said:
I would just add that before you get out of bed, mobilise the ankles; push your toes away and towards you and rotate in both directions. Full range of motion in all directions.

Yeah I already do that and have noticed that it helps. Cheers.

I just had a look at David's warm up vid on his website http://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-warm-up-video I know it's the thing to do, but watching this you can't help but smile and we all know the bloke knows what he's doing and on about. There is such a massive chasm between what should be happening at club level and what does happen. I already do some of this and get loads of people looking - but some of these should have them rolling around crying!

Oh Dave, you've done it now... brace yourself for a rant :D

Can somebody explain this to me please? I am at a loss to understand the cricket culture. Thank goodness the rugby season has started.

I offer my services, as most grassroots coaches, free of charge but no cricketer is interested. I do get the odd one who will say, "I need your help, what should I do". I spend hours with them giving them corrections to their biomechanics and writing personal programmes for them. I see them a week later to see how they have progressed and they have done s*d all. Why am I wasting my time? I am a prehabilitator [you've heard me say it so many times] but cricketers would rather get injured and pay me huge amounts of money, twice a week for several months in rehabilitaion. Cricketers must love pain and loss of play. I know I should not complain but money is not everything.

If I ask a cricketer to jump, they look at me as if to say, "What's that?". If I ask a rugby player to jump, they jump. They don't stop to think 'how high?', they put their all into it and jump. If I was to ask a rugby player to take their clothes off in the middle of a match and put themselve in a contorted position, they do it. They don't need to know why. They know I am an expert in what i do and if I ask them to do something, they know it is for their good. They don't need to know why... they don't want my job, they just want to be the best at their's.

This season, I offered the local cricket team free sport and remedial massage... not one took me up on it.

someblokecalleddave;364384 said:
Yeah I already do that and have noticed that it helps. Cheers.

I just had a look at David's warm up vid on his website How to warm up for cricket: The video | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips I know it's the thing to do, but watching this you can't help but smile and we all know the bloke knows what he's doing and on about. There is such a massive chasm between what should be happening at club level and what does happen. I already do some of this and get loads of people looking - but some of these should have them rolling around crying!

its not so bad if you play in a team where everyone does what they are told to and warms up together (pretty much every sport ive played except for cricket!). but if youre the only one warming up some of those moves could be quite amusing to everyone else lol.

my only guess is that cricket isnt seen my most of those who play it as a physical sport. there are lots of older guys playing at club level, some of whom cant even run, let alone stretch out. it seems to be underlined by a desire of anyone over the age of 30 being more desperate to bowl a team out 2nd up so that they can get to the bar for a beer than to win the match lol. it lacks team discipline (and doesnt necessarily require it), whereas something like Rugby or Football is all about discipline, and doing exactly what the coach says or getting physically punished (running, push ups, etc). il bet in teams where there isnt discipline the same applies as in cricket, and il bet those teams arent winning their league!!

at the end of the day though if you are serious about warming up and training properly then youre serious about playing cricket. the guys stood around chuckling and shouting comments are never likely to be playing high level cricket. its disrespectful, but ultimately youll have the last laugh when you score more runs and take more wickets than they do!

Jim, they never do! Most of the team are embedded in a culture of drinking as described in your 2nd paragraph. I get comments like 'You'll be knackered before you even start' or 'Take it easy Dave it's Sunday you'll be too knackered to have a drink'. Truth is I want to be able to get up on Monday morning and go to work, so if 10 - 15 minutes of looking a bit silly out in the field will enable that I'll be out there prancing around like David Hinchcliffe!

The fact that I don't drink erks them a bit I'm seen as not being a team player because I don't turn up at their do's and crawl home with them covered in puke and alcohol at 1am in the morning.

Back