Pensioner Pages

Re: Pensioner Pages

i dont drink either, it never ceases to amaze me when people look at you like youre from another planet when you tell them that you dont drink alcohol! the ridicule of trying to be healthy.... lol

i had a net practice session today for my bowling. i didnt warm up like normal with my stretches, i arrived, swang my arms around for a minute and then just started bowling fairly gently with a single ball (id been active all day so i was probably already quite loose). and everytime i went to collect the ball id do something off of David Hinchcliffes warmup video. did that for 10-15 mins and then i felt completely loose, and i was upping my effort all the time.

anyway, the long and short of it is that my bowling was the most consistent and good straight out of the traps that its ever been. maybe a coincidence, maybe a mental thing, or maybe my static stretching was hindering me. i did my static stretches for a warm down afterwards and was able to stretch out more than i ever have before as well. i could touch the ground with my feet together and bending over, which i think is a first since i was about 8 years old lol. now, sat in my chair, i feel like i could go out tomorrow morning and bowl for 2 hours and not feel hindered by tonights practice, which isnt normally the case, i usually ache!

one thing though that still bothers me is that over the course of maybe an hour i gradually tense up more and more. i think its a fatigue thing, and my muscles tighten up? and as this happens it has a HUGE effect on my bowling. it gets really inconsistent, i can physically feel my fingers gripping the ball harder (even though im trying to relax them and taking deep breaths, etc) and becoming less willing to release it, and all my timing goes off and i spray the ball all over the place (short, long, wide). its making practicing for more than an hour at a time difficult as i start out well and then completely lose my rhythm and cant get it back (this might also happen in a match situation, which wouldnt be good). any suggestions on this Liz? your earlier advice has worked wonders thus far!!!

It sounds like a hydration issue. Make sure you drink plenty of water before activity and have a bottle at hand to top up during activity.

It may help to have a protein drink after activity too. There are a lot of brands including protein in their recovery drinks these days.

Liz Ward;364573 said:
It sounds like a hydration issue. Make sure you drink plenty of water before activity and have a bottle at hand to top up during activity.

It may help to have a protein drink after activity too. There are a lot of brands including protein in their recovery drinks these days.

possibly. i always take a 2 litre bottle of orange squash with me though (isotonic mixture, plus i add a pinch of salt to aid hydration) and drink at regular intervals (every 15-30 mins). it doesnt really feel like dehydration.

i used to drink a protein shake after every training session when i played basketball so maybe il start doing that again anyway.

but the real issue is the mid-session "loss of mobility". maybe its just a lack of overall fitness and strength and theres nothing much i can do about it except for keep practicing and get fitter?

Making your own isotonic drinks is a very fine art and should only be prescribed by a nutritionist; it is amazing how many people get it wrong... wrong measurements, wrong products etc. It is amazing how many people use the 'no added sugar' variety of squash, which is useless. It is even more amazing how many people believe table salt will do... it just dehydrates. The wrong concentration/measurement can hinder hydration. Unless you get it right, you are better off using plain water.

For those thinking of making their own performance or recovery drinks... this might help:

Liz Ward;248847 said:
There are so many products on the market these days, I thought I might explain a few:

Hypertonic drinks contain more glucose than body fluids so absorption from the gut is slow. Most fruit juices and cans of fizzy drink fall into this category.

Hypotonic drinks contain less glucose than body fluids so absorption is faster than water, therefore, rehydration is faster.

Isotonic drinks contain the same amount of glucose as body fluids [approx. 4-8g/100ml] so not only is absorption faster and therefore rehydration but the extra glucose is useful to fuel continued exercise.

To make your own isotonic drink, dilute fruit juice [50/50] with plain water and add a fifth of a teaspoon of sea salt per 1 litre (1 teaspoon per 5 litres). There we go - simple and cheap!!

As I mentioned earlier, fruit juice is hypertonic [approx. 10-12g/100ml] so diluting it as above, produces a good isotonic drink [approx. 5-6g/ml]. Alternatively, you can take some neat orange squash, not the stuff with no added sugar; measure out enough to contain 60g sugar by using the nutrition label and simply dilute in 1 litre of plain water with a fifth of a teaspoon of sea salt.

Do make sure you use unrefined sea salt; table salt is a chemical and has no nutritional value. Unrefined sea salt, on the other hand, contains the minerals lost through sweating such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iron, chloride, sulphur, lithium, manganese as well as the trace elements selenium, chromium, phosphorous, zinc and iodine [wow! all in a little crystal!]

A word of warning, contrary to popular belief, Red Bull does not 'give you wings' on the field! Such diuretics, along with coffee, tea, cola etc encourage net water loss from the body.

However, unless you are an elite athlete, water is the best source of hydration.

so the "no added sugar" squash im using and the cheap table salt probably arent helping? :rolleyes:

i cant stand drinking water though, its so plain and tasteless, and its especially nasty if it gets warm. think il have to make my isotonic drink more carefully. weve actually got sea salt in the cupboard, i just didnt think it would be better. and we also have double concentrated "normal" squash that no-one drinks because its strong enough to clean drain pipes with (so il have to check the label to calculate quantities)

are lucozade sport and powerade isotonic?

Jim2109;364598 said:
so the "no added sugar" squash im using and the cheap table salt probably arent helping? :rolleyes:

:D

If you really are using the above products, the drink you think is hydrating you is actually having the opposite effect.

If you think about what a performance drink [as opposed to a recovery drink] provides, ie, glucose and minerals, you have provided neither with your ingredients. By using the 'no added sugar' variety [which I would never touch (see http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57486/)], you have eliminated the glucose... and the table salt does not have the necessary minerals... but it will dehydrate you.

However, get the concentration wrong [too much glucose] and you will also fail to hydrate.

As for the branded products, they produce all the recovery and performance varieties. You need to read the label and watch for tooth decay :).

With your activity levels, I would go for the hypotonic drinks rather than isotonic.

Liz all the stuff you suggested worked today. Woke up stretched and wiggled my feet as I laid in bed for a couple of minutes. Got out of bed and swung my legs gradually, bit by bit one at a time alternating and the first noticeable difference - none of the usual hobbling around like an old dog.

Then once at the match did some warm-ups a la' David Hinchcliffe, not as much as he suggests and not quite so vigorous and then when in the field more stretching to calves by going up on the toes with the feet straight in line with shoulders and hey presto when it came to chasing the ball...... I was Gazelle like with no pains! Brilliant - cheers!

Really pleased to hear it Dave. Thanks for the feedback; you have left me with a lovely thought for the day... I have a picture of a gazelle springing around with your face superimposed... lovely! What a lithe body you have :)

Feels like I'm falling apart here - I've just left this comment on Scotts website, he asked how my pre-season training was going....

Not good so far with regards my body. I’ve just come back from a practice session that was curtailed by a potential injury. Whilst bowling my leg breaks I seemed to have pulled a muscle in my calf quite badly, the pain was immediate and quite severe so I stopped and came straight back and have just had ice on it for a few minutes to see how it goes, I’ll get some more on there later over the rest of this evening and maybe do some tomorrow as well. The weird thing is I’ve just had some physio with Liz Ward regarding an injury in more or less the same place, but the other leg, the work that Liz did with it and the follow up advice seems to be working okay with the left leg but within a matter of a few days the other leg started to show signs of muscle pain in the same kind of area. So I don’t know if the changes I’ve made in my bowing action have now put stress on the other leg?

I’m thinking maybe I should rest up for 3 or 4 weeks and just do stretches over that period of time and then as the season gets nearer or if my legs feel okay (Calf muscles) I’ll start power walking to get the muscle strength back?

Other than that the actual bowling is looking very promising, it just seems that my lower legs can’t take the work that I’m expecting them to do. I blame the rubbish weather we’ve had I’ve hardly done any exercise since early November!!!

Jesus I hope it's not this - http://www.footeducation.com/calf-muscle-tear-gastrocnemius-tear

Liz Ward;364451 said:
Oh Dave, you've done it now... brace yourself for a rant :D

Can somebody explain this to me please? I am at a loss to understand the cricket culture. Thank goodness the rugby season has started.

I offer my services, as most grassroots coaches, free of charge but no cricketer is interested. I do get the odd one who will say, "I need your help, what should I do". I spend hours with them giving them corrections to their biomechanics and writing personal programmes for them. I see them a week later to see how they have progressed and they have done s*d all. Why am I wasting my time? I am a prehabilitator [you've heard me say it so many times] but cricketers would rather get injured and pay me huge amounts of money, twice a week for several months in rehabilitaion. Cricketers must love pain and loss of play. I know I should not complain but money is not everything.

If I ask a cricketer to jump, they look at me as if to say, "What's that?". If I ask a rugby player to jump, they jump. They don't stop to think 'how high?', they put their all into it and jump. If I was to ask a rugby player to take their clothes off in the middle of a match and put themselve in a contorted position, they do it. They don't need to know why. They know I am an expert in what i do and if I ask them to do something, they know it is for their good. They don't need to know why... they don't want my job, they just want to be the best at their's.

This season, I offered the local cricket team free sport and remedial massage... not one took me up on it.

Just reading the thread and this popped up :)

I've said it before... move to Australia Liz! We don't have the basic coaches, so I'm pretty sure after one week here you would want to go back that you are so over worked.

Good luck and hope everything works out Dave. With your mindset you certainly don't deserve this sort of thing.

Boris;390350 said:
Good luck and hope everything works out Dave. With your mindset you certainly don't deserve this sort of thing.

Cheers Boris 24 hours later and it feels a lot better. I am going to rest it for a number of weeks I reckon and start out small and build up again. As Macca said too much too soon and also not enough in the way of a warm up I reckon, in fact if I'm honest I did stretch the right leg beforehand at all, all the focus has been on the left leg.

Boris;390349 said:
Just reading the thread and this popped up :)

I've said it before... move to Australia Liz! We don't have the basic coaches, so I'm pretty sure after one week here you would want to go back that you are so over worked.

O Wow! That must have been a really bad day :D.

Dave, is the pain exactly as shown, as the higher circle on your link?
...or higher?
...more to one side?

Give me a number for your pain.

Liz this is where the pain is see link pulled+calf+muscle.jpg (image) the pain has subsided a great deal since yesterdy and doesn't seem to be spread across a large area as it initially seemed it did and tonight trying to find the specific point wasn't too easy.

Pain at the moment of doing it 5. Pain now - low if I walk on it 1 or 2. I just know from doing my achilles years ago that initially the pain was the same and then over a period of 2 weeks it virtually disappeared and then I re-did the injury and ended up in one of those boots for 8 months and I don't want that to happen.

At least it wasn't this bad...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRfDp2Z6gM&feature=related

Liz Ward;390391 said:
Not a good image for a Sunday night... ouch! So that's a leg break :D.

As for you... any chance of an up-to-date video when things ease a little more? This looks like something you're doing.

Yeah definitely and I suspect you're right, because the way I was bowling requires a lot more effort and it feels different to the other deliveries in that I seem to be compressed with my legs bent through the action - well that's how it feels. If you look at the old video YouTube - Someblokecalleddave leg breaks rotational analysis slow motion.avi you can see at 14 seconds there's a lot of muscle activity at this point and it's at this point that I've been noticing with bowling the delivery that I was trying, I seem to be putting a lot more strain on the leg at that very point. The feeling is that I'm more crouched than upright with this particualr delivery?

What I would really like to see is how you 'place' your back foot. So I am really interested in what happens at 13s on your previous video.

If possible, could you record from the rear [as before] and also from the left, so that I can see the back of your leg at this point.

Back