Playing Spin

Left_Hander

Playing Spin

I have struggled many a times playing spin bowling. I am pretty decent at getting quick bowlers away but when it comes to playing spin I have absoutely no idea. I am a batsmen and I am really good at getting foward and blocking out deliveries. I got out to a spinner in my last game by chopping it onto my stumps. Came slightly above my waist and I thought it was going to be spinning away from me so I decided to cut and play with the spin but I chopped it onto my stumps. It was my first ball facing the spinner. My question is, how can I get better at playing spin bowling? Picking it out of the hand, or what shot to play etc would be a great help.

To add to the embrassment, I am a part-time spin bowler :mad:

Re: Playing Spin

LOL, no worries, my enemy is spins aswell :p

Firstly, you gotta get comfortable with both a big stride forward, and secondly, trotting down the track, both with make playing spin easier! Once you've got comfortable with them, then you can look to try to depict the hand, which is the hardest bit, and then, you learn how to smash 'em around!

Thanks Simon. Next net session I will ask some guys to throw some spinners down to me so I can practice playing against it.

I've gotta run out, but when i get back ill post up some hand variations with pictures, and what not, although its the basics, can improve your batting quite a bit.

Oh thank you so much Simbazz. This site is really helping me with my cricket. Which was the main reason I joined up. Maybe I will tell my mates about it so they can help there game as well. I can't express how happy I am that people are really willing to help with my problems.

Also, with the spinner I was talking about, I only faced the one ball but from what I got he seemed like he was a leg-spinner (left arm). So it was a leftie on a leftie.

Thanks

It's also useful to practice your footwork when playing against spin not just getting the big stride in. Get comfortable with walking down the crease, adjusting to different length balls - in some cases it can be as much about dealing with the flight as dealing with the spin.

It's also useful to learn to play with soft hands so that you 'deaden' the ball rather than allow it pop up off the bat.

I also find the flight bit hard as well because i have quite a bit of time to decide what shot I am going to play which makes me think a 100 different things and then I get confused.

Popping it off the bat can be a problem but there is hardly ever any in close fielders so it doesn't bother me too much.

Flight is easily combatted with standing just outside your crease, just so the outside of your shoe is touching the crease, that way, if you miss the ball, you simply slide back in, its like facing swing, but slower, and it drifts rather than swings, big loopey ones are easy, just swat them away, roll your wrists so to ground them, and you're away.

When playing spin, I have a wider stance than facing the quicks as it gets your foot closer to the pitch of the ball. I wouldn't worry too much about picking the ball out of the hand at this stage as the deliveries are probably all the same. :)

You make a good point Will, and i do exactly the same, for the quicks, i have my lets planeted fairly close together, gives me stability, and allows me to move my front foot to plant it elsewhere.

Facing the spins, i have a much wider stance, my leg a good distanct apart, with my bat in the midde, my third leg...if you excuse the, is it a pun? Having a wider leg stances allows me to push off with my back foot so i have the ability and sharpness to either catch the ball on the full, allowing me to manuvere it round along the ground without too much trouble OR dance down to where the ball pitches and swat it away for a boundry.

Good point Will, Rep to you my friend!

Rajan, thats a decent thing to do, but you have to be a bit wary of the spin, if an offspinner comes in, full tosses you try to hit WITH the spin rather than against it, its easier as the ball is carrying on its normal path. Also, if you're the slighest bit tired, trying to hit the full toss for 6 can be dangerous as it takes more effort with some shots.

But taking it on the full toss is a good advantage as it takes the whole point of the spinner out of the game, he can decieve you! And when he gets wind of you trying to hit him on the full toss he'll bowl shorter, thats when the backfoot jabs come into play.

I am ok against playing spin (on my day).

They key is that spinners will always chuck down the odd short ball or half volley, just wait for it and punish it. Do not try and attack length balls except in the later overs because attacking length balls leaves you open to googlies, arm balls, top spinners...etc and in the event you are driving, you may get caught in the infield or edge one.

In the event there is a spinner who is bowling a good line and length every ball, chances are that they cannot spin the ball and that their main weapon is a change of pace - look to use your feet to move either outside the line of the ball or charge the ball, just be wary of a potential quicker ball, these type of bowlers make batsman get themselves out, make sure you don't do that to one of those non spinning spinners.

I bowl leggies and then got out to a leggie in the grand final. You'd think that spinners themselves would be good against other spinners, but it seems that it is not true. :(

Sean said:
I bowl leggies and then got out to a leggie in the grand final. You'd think that spinners themselves would be good against other spinners, but it seems that it is not true. :(

Yeah totally true, if you bowl some leggies, stand yourself in front of a mirror and bowl in slow motion, that way you can see what your hands doing, it'll give you a rough idea IF you struggle against spin.

playing spin is my strenght. but sometimes if it is hard to pick up the ball then i sweep them or play at the pitch of the ball.

Left_Hander said:
I have struggled many a times playing spin bowling. I am pretty decent at getting quick bowlers away but when it comes to playing spin I have absoutely no idea. I am a batsmen and I am really good at getting foward and blocking out deliveries. I got out to a spinner in my last game by chopping it onto my stumps. Came slightly above my waist and I thought it was going to be spinning away from me so I decided to cut and play with the spin but I chopped it onto my stumps. It was my first ball facing the spinner. My question is, how can I get better at playing spin bowling? Picking it out of the hand, or what shot to play etc would be a great help.

To add to the embrassment, I am a part-time spin bowler :mad:

Depends How comfortable your feeling, early in ur innings if ur having trouble just stay in ur crease and keep a cool head.

as ur getting more confident use your feet more and just punch the ball through gaps. drivings normally effective against spinners in my experience.

and as for picking the ball not much i can help you with except watch it carefully out of the bowlers hand.

hope i helped

When playing spin you have to try and knock them off their length. You have to try not to be afraid of going down the wicket. A lot of people think that when you go down the wicket you have to try and smack it, but you don't, just nudge it into gaps for singles. Another good tactic is too fake going down the wicket, and when the bowler sees you coming and drops it short, step back and cut it.

Back