Playing Spin

Re: Playing Spin

Im liking thi - you coming down the wicket to fake it - keep that up, that's a good tactic to play for all you confident batsmen who like to knock Leg Spinners for 4's and 6's. Take note and adopt as you're best strategy.

Dave, just to say, have a read through, and find some articles online regarding, "How to play spin," it may sound stupid as you're not a batsmen, but if you have the knowledge of how to play spin, you can in turn make your spin unplayable.

Yeah - I'll keep that in mind. To tell the truth last year I didn't get to face that many spinners, the one or two that I did drew me out of the wicket and I got stumped! It's the fast bowlers that bother me. Needless to say though as the season approaches I'll refer back to here and have a look.

i find reading the spin can be sometimes easy. i think its because i watch what the seams doing and i can see how its turning :D

wolf said:
When playing spin you have to try and knock them off their length. You have to try not to be afraid of going down the wicket. A lot of people think that when you go down the wicket you have to try and smack it, but you don't, just nudge it into gaps for singles. Another good tactic is too fake going down the wicket, and when the bowler sees you coming and drops it short, step back and cut it.

Yeah faking going down the wicket is a tactic I use against most of the spinners I face.

do you do it to put them off their lengths? i think i did that one game by accident, took a few skips forward and he started to drop it shorter, shame i couldnt capitalise :p

Coming down the wicket is one of the most effective parts to playing a spinner. Most get scared as you say Jimmy, they tend to drop it in short and you can hammer them, most spinners are clever and know what you're doing, but its a mental thing, if a batsmen advances, you tend to drop it shorter so they go back.

When you're advancing the one thing you have to look out for is one that fizzes and spits, because they turn like the wind, and if you dont get something on it then the WK surely will, and you'll be back in the pavilion ;)

Faking down the wicket is a good tactic.
Only important thing is to watch the ball very closely so there is a good chance to even play defensive shot perfectly :)

even if you just take a few skips around the crease, you can get into their mind, make them think you will come down to them

ive never tried faking coming down the wicket but it seems like a good tactic. seems a bit hard though. reading off the hand is the best tactic but if i fail to do that i generally sweep.

When defending agaisnt spinners i never know whether i should defend with bat and pad together or defend with my bat in front of the pad, what does everyone prefer and which way is the best?

Go one infront of the other, never go together its just begging for disaster. If its outside the line, stick the old pad out and be done with it. If its in line, get the bat on it, and leave the pad a little further back.

The main reason i say don't go with bat AND pad is because if the ball strikes the bat then the pad, its more difficult to see its hit the bat.

I always go with the bat in front of pad because pad first is always dangerous. I play late most times because its easier to wait for the ball to turn and play according to it.

Simbazz said:
Coming down the wicket is one of the most effective parts to playing a spinner. Most get scared as you say Jimmy, they tend to drop it in short and you can hammer them, most spinners are clever and know what you're doing, but its a mental thing, if a batsmen advances, you tend to drop it shorter so they go back.
if the bowler is smart instead of bowling short he might just bowl a wide one and get you stumped but most arent that smart.
ive seen many players make a big initial front foot movement and then go back on the backfoot and cut the ball. i find it hard to go back after im commited to playing of the front foot.

You're totally right Mike, mosty spinners do have a brain as spinning is probably more mental than skill. People would argue that point, but you don't neccesarily need the skills of Shane Warne to achieve what Shane Warne did.

Like you say, the best thing to do, is get the bowler thinking, look like you're gunna trot down the pitch, step back and hammer him through the offside, or leg side if he gives you a wanderer.

shane learnt to do new tricks with the ball because of his intellegence. i think if you have the brain you will develop the skills.

Indeed, Shane Warne was a very very clever man when it came to cricket, but outside of cricket, some would say he is rather dumb. That is a differnt topic altogether ;)

What i'm trying to get at is that as a spinner, and this is probably offtopic here, but its worthy all the same. Is that you don't need to spin the ball half a mile to get wickets, its about using your noggin (brain) and seeing how the batsmen reacts to certain things. As a fast bowler you go out there to totally outpace, out do and have a batsmen playing at thin air, and its effective, i would'nt say Brett Lee is as clever when it comes to bowling than Shane Warne, i wouldn't say many pacers are cleverer than spinners, Glenn Mcgrath was, but it took him plenty of time to slow it down a little, get those seamers going and just totally outwit a batsmen.

As a spin bowler, if you have 4 deliveries, then you're really only a slight way there. You need the knowledge of when to use each of those 4 deliveries. This is why i keep banging on about having a chat with the captain, the wicketkeeper and the slips during a game, they have the best view of anyone, not neccesarily the captain, but if he's the captain, he should be of some use.

Anyways, as a batsmen, its your outlook to whether you dismiss the intelligence of a spinner and go gung ho, which in some cases is the best way, as some spinners are deathly stupid, they will just basically tell you whats next. Just in the same way as a spinner might be cleverer than you and get you.

Its all about assessing the situation and play accordingly, which is the basic part of cricket a child should learn in his first season.

Back