Practicing fast bowling on your own

Ali Malik

Practicing fast bowling on your own

I live in Saudi Arabia where cricket isn't exactly the most popular sport, so I have to practice on my own. Any bowling drills to help?

Re: Practicing fast bowling on your own

It might help if you say what areas you're looking to work on, pace, accuracy or other, then I'm sure people will post some specific drills up for you.

Also, will you be playing on your own or with friends? I find it easier to train with friends!

Ali Malik said:
I live in Saudi Arabia where cricket isn't exactly the most popular sport, so I have to practice on my own. Any bowling drills to help?

You can practice accuracy on your own quite easily, just make sure you have a few balls so you dont have to keep going and fetch them.

There are some drills on this baord that you can try, like cricket snooker, easy to set up as well.

i sometimes practice on somedays when others skip practice. put targets on the pitch like in cricket snooker and bowl in the nets so you dont have to run after the ball each time  :laugh: but if you have 1 or 2 friends its more easier and fun.

my favourite way to practise seam (or fast) is my backgarden up against a wall, works a charm, put out some targets etc.

I've a similar thing with my leg spin right outside my house - I lay a flat piece of board in front of the wall - the boards 12" x 36" and try and bowl directly onto that. It's pretty good practice. As it's concrete I use dimpled hockey balls - same size, same weight very similar bounce and they don't wear out.

I use a tennis ball, or a skills ball (They're horrible, but they work,) but i may try those hocky balls.

Simbazz - they're a revelation if you're bowling on hard surfaces and it's just you and no batsman. Have a look at www.newitts.com and type in hockey balls. The slazenger one that come in a bag of 24 are about the cheapest on the internet. It's the way forard!

Someone else has bought em having seen my posts talking about them and he was saying he practices on wet grass and was ruining a proper ball about once a week or something. He also mentioned they're "Dog proof"!!

Yup i read Almost Austwick's post about that. It'll have to wait till after christmas though as money isn't to easy to get at the moment but cheers for the heads up.

Giving this a bump, as my thoughts are turning to this very topic, especially as the weather warms (he says as there is the talk of snow) and the evenings get longer.

I think I'm going to get a couple of boxes of old balls (or 2nds if I can source some) and just go down to the nearest nets and bowl. Put some springback stumps up and go for it.

I'll mark out some areas I want to work on and also mix the practice up with some core, strength and stability work but really just use it as a way to get some overs under my belt.

Perhaps bowling with a tennis ball may help you get faster. It is said that it is how Pakistan produce so many fast bowlers, because they have practiced putting their whole body into the action with a tennis ball.

It's something that I'm considering but I may go with a windball, so I least get some weight in my hand. A tennis ball feels far too light to me, but then again I may well give it a go.

Almost_Austwick said:
A tennis ball feels far too light to me, but then again I may well give it a go.

The lightness of the ball is part of the effect though as you have to put more weight on it against the greater effect of the wind.

Manee is right, also I'm sure I read it elsewhere on here. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose (well maybe a few tennis balls).

i live in houston texas and we have alot of fiellds but i dont have a license so i sometimes go to tennis courts and practice over there with hardball...hopefully when i get my license i can go to real nets.

Back