Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

Actually my disappointment in Harmison stems from about 2007 and he bowled utter tripe to the visiting West Indies team in England. He shouldn't even be mentioned anymore in connection with a national guernsey, it is just wrong that his name is still bandied about in the press over here.

The Aussie pitches aren't flat enough to ensure draws, I wouldn't get too confident about that Eddie. Draws aren't a regular feature of Aus cricket, which is all the better for the game. There was one against the West Indies recently, then there was one against India back in THAT series, I can't think of too many others.

Did I?

I was a lot more conservative with Australia's chances last year, simply because the team had been unsettled in the previous 6 months leading up to the Ashes.

Brett Lee was in and than out, we had a talented but inexperienced bowling attack, we had a number of debut players in their first year of international cricket. Still, there were positives to be had despite losing the Ashes.

Time moves on, and further chances will come.

Australia at home are still a formidable team, hell, South Africa had to play out of their skins to beat us. I'm confident the Australia team, containing eleven Australians, can regain the Ashes in a few months time.

But more importantly, I see a bright 4 or 5 years for this Australian team. The talent coming through the first class system is electric: Steve Smith, Tim Paine, Phil Hughes, Callum Ferguson, and that is just the batsmen.

I am a lot more confident of Australia's future than I was 12 months ago, I think we can launch another assault on international cricket stage starting with this years Ashes series.

You know what else I am proud of?

The fact that Australians are representing Australia, and they come from a range of backgrounds with great stories to tell. Ponting came from one of the poorest areas in Tasmania, to become Australia's second best ever batsmen. Doug Bollinger, who a few years ago was playing 2nd grade, in now one of the premier fast bowlers in the world.

Hauritz is now Australia's main spinner, and he has taken 50 odd wickets @ 30 while averaging 20+ with the bat.

Usman Khawaja will become the first muslim to play for Australia, born in Pakistan but who moved to Australia at a young age with his family in search of a better life.

Now constrast that with England's approach to Darren Pattinson: one of the leading players in Victoria's shield team, his brother is a strong chance to play for Australia, yet England selected him in their side when this guy doesn't have the slightest affinity to England's culture.

Raised in Australia, he played for England on the basis of some technical law, good luck to him to, a chance to make a career in international cricket. But he isn't English, and I'd find it patronising if overseas players started influxing Australia to make it at international level simply because Australia didn't have the home grown talent to make a full cricket team.

Reflect on that if you would eddie.

The lack of draws has more to do with the quality of teams visiting, Perth is one of the flattest pitches around these days, Adelaide would have been a draw last time England visited if not for Shane Warne, Sydney is usually very good for batting as is Melbourne. Brisbane depends on the weather but if the sun is out then runs will flow

As for Darren Pattinson, you mean that strange technical law of being born in England and being an English citizen? Yeah, well technical that one :rolleyes:

Just because his parents moved him to Australia at a young age, he always remained English and he was far from a top player in Victorias team, he wasnt and still isnt in Victorias best side

But you are right, it would be disgraceful if people born in Australia had the nerve to come back here and want to play Test cricket, much more Australian are those born overseas who came here for a better life... :rolleyes:

eddiesmith;398397 said:
The lack of draws has more to do with the quality of teams visiting, Perth is one of the flattest pitches around these days, Adelaide would have been a draw last time England visited if not for Shane Warne, Sydney is usually very good for batting as is Melbourne. Brisbane depends on the weather but if the sun is out then runs will flow.

But Shane Warne and OoohAaah haven't played since the beginning of 2007 and there has only been two draws in that time, even though the opposition has included South Africa, Sri Lanka and India. Your reasoning doesn't work there.

a for effort;398300 said:
I'm confident that Graemme Swann would not give a flying fudge and Ricky and the lads reminding him that he was caught drink-driving, has a big chin, or is '!@#$ing #$%house' (as is the preferred taunt by the Australian wordsmiths).

HAving Met swann, (hes a local in the pub a few doors down to my mates house in nottingham, where my mate works... apparently is quite a regular) he is really quite funny and witty, and I really think that your ideas of verbally working over him will not really have much effect on him.

England's batsmen are weak against the bouncing ball, I have no doubt about that.
This is quite true, due to our real lack of pitches that have the conditions for a large contingent of bouncers.

However, when your charging in on a hard Australian wicket you need to be strong, England's bowlers probably haven't lifted a weight in their life.
quite the opposite, we have a bit of a fitnes coach problem at the moment because the coach seems to think the cricket team should all be built like rugby players. (possibly because he is an ex rugby coach IIRC, can't remember his name off my head)
You cannot tell me that an Australian pace attack of Bollinger, Johnson, Hilfenhaus/Harris, Hauritz and Watson is inferior to England's attack of Anderson, Onions, Broad and Swann under Australian conditions.
the only one who bothers me really on that list is bollinger ...

SteveyD;398400 said:
HAving Met swann, (hes a local in the pub a few doors down to my mates house in nottingham, where my mate works... apparently is quite a regular) he is really quite funny and witty, and I really think that your ideas of verbally working over him will not really have much effect on him.

I know, he's brilliant. That was my point.

Beeswax;398399 said:
But Shane Warne and OoohAaah haven't played since the beginning of 2007 and there has only been two draws in that time, even though the opposition has included South Africa, Sri Lanka and India. Your reasoning doesn't work there.

No there wasnt any draws when South Africa came last time but that was because it was Australia who played shit and South Africa won plus no games in Adelaide

As for India, actually the Adelaide Oval match was a draw and Sydney would have been if not for the greatest choke in cricket history, 3/0 in 5 balls in what was probably the last over of the day...Although looking back there was 95 overs bowled that day with no rain delays and an innings break

Sri Lanka? What a joke, they are rubbish away from home

eddiesmith;398404 said:
No there wasnt any draws when South Africa came last time but that was because it was Australia who played shit and South Africa won plus no games in Adelaide

As for India, actually the Adelaide Oval match was a draw and Sydney would have been if not for the greatest choke in cricket history, 3/0 in 5 balls in what was probably the last over of the day...Although looking back there was 95 overs bowled that day with no rain delays and an innings break

Sri Lanka? What a joke, they are rubbish away from home

Ohh, come on, I could say the same thing about other sides, they should have won this, they should have lost that, there isn't that many good quality sides around, who exactly do you expect to be over here drawing all these matches with Aus then, if you are going to give disclaiming 'should'ves' for matches that are wins or losses? I have already mentioned the India series one match that was a draw, that and one match against the West Indies. From what I can see despite Australia having the 'flattest pitches in the world' only Adelaide has draws recently and not exactly regularly.

The pitches may be the flattest in the world as you claim, but the results don't show it, that is the material point.

SteveyD;398400 said:

This is quite true, due to our real lack of pitches that have the conditions for a large contingent of bouncers.

quite the opposite, we have a bit of a fitnes coach problem at the moment because the coach seems to think the cricket team should all be built like rugby players. (possibly because he is an ex rugby coach IIRC, can't remember his name off my head)

the only one who bothers me really on that list is bollinger ...

England's batsmen, like everyone else bar Australian and South African players, play most of their cricket on featherbeds. You might get some swing and seam in England but the bounce is minimal and the wickets are slow.

In Australia this summer there was good carry in all of the wickets, that extra bounce and carry is what gets batsmen into trouble, not the movement off the seam.

When the Australian bowlers get on a wicket with some bounce and carry they look a totally different force to when they are bowling on featherbeds. That is why Australia are so hard to beat at home, they may look ordinary away from home at certain times, but we still enjoy a massive advantage of being bought up on hard wickets. Johnson, Harris, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are ideally suited to Australian wickets.

Another advantage we have is that arguably England's two most important players in Strauss and Anderson, had a miserable tour out here last time. The pressure will be immense of them to perform. Especially, James "Jimmy" Anderson.

Oh, and Im not worried about any member of England's attack, nor are the Australian batsmen. When you come to Australia mate, your coming to play with the big boys, in our yard, in our grounds, with our fans and media ready to give everything back that we copped last year, with interest.

It will be interesting to see how the likes of Anderson, Broad and Swann cope with the expectation.

All the talk out of England is that Australia is "there for the taking". Bob Willis even described out attack as "appalling".

We look forward to the Ashes returning to Australia, it will be a glorious day. We are taking back what is ours, and what you don't deserve.

Beeswax;398405 said:
Ohh, come on, I could say the same thing about other sides, they should have won this, they should have lost that, there isn't that many good quality sides around, who exactly do you expect to be over here drawing all these matches with Aus then, if you are going to give disclaiming 'should'ves' for matches that are wins or losses? I have already mentioned the India series one match that was a draw, that and one match against the West Indies. From what I can see despite Australia having the 'flattest pitches in the world' only Adelaide has draws recently and not exactly regularly.

The pitches may be the flattest in the world as you claim, but the results don't show it, that is the material point.

LOL at Eddie pinning his hope on going for the draw; the chest beating hides the fact that deep down eddie thinks England hasn't got what it takes to beat us in Australia, so his going to go for the draw instead.

Just like Fletcher did in 2006, with amusing results :D :p:cool:

Just look at the domestic comp, Adelaide and Perth are the flattest pitches, doesnt stop teams beating them because they are quite poor, the MCG is flat, but Victoria plays attacking cricket and gets the wins

When you have poor teams it doesnt matter how flat the pitch is, but if the England batsmen apply themselves there is no reason they shouldnt make big scores on flat pitches in Australia and if both sides are making 600 which apparently Australia will every day with such a poor English bowling attack then there will be a few draws

Both teams have weak bowling lineups, add in the Aussie pitches and there should be some draws unless Australia take some risk

eddiesmith;398397 said:
The lack of draws has more to do with the quality of teams visiting, Perth is one of the flattest pitches around these days, Adelaide would have been a draw last time England visited if not for Shane Warne, Sydney is usually very good for batting as is Melbourne. Brisbane depends on the weather but if the sun is out then runs will flow

As for Darren Pattinson, you mean that strange technical law of being born in England and being an English citizen? Yeah, well technical that one :rolleyes:

Just because his parents moved him to Australia at a young age, he always remained English and he was far from a top player in Victorias team, he wasnt and still isnt in Victorias best side

But you are right, it would be disgraceful if people born in Australia had the nerve to come back here and want to play Test cricket, much more Australian are those born overseas who came here for a better life... :rolleyes:

Come on Eddie.

His younger brother is going to play for Australia in the future, so is the young brother Australian and the older English? :eek:

Basically both were bought up in Australia and are accustomed to Australian culture. Darren Pattinson probably couldn't give a fig about the English cricket team, he simply plays county cricket to pay the bills and if some geezer asks him to kit up for a test match against South Africa well, his not going to refuse is he?

Darren Pattison has no affinity with the English flag, other than he was born in England 30 odd years ago which he can't even remember.

What is Pattison's favourite AFL team?

eddiesmith;398409 said:
Just look at the domestic comp, Adelaide and Perth are the flattest pitches, doesnt stop teams beating them because they are quite poor, the MCG is flat, but Victoria plays attacking cricket and gets the wins

When you have poor teams it doesnt matter how flat the pitch is, but if the England batsmen apply themselves there is no reason they shouldnt make big scores on flat pitches in Australia and if both sides are making 600 which apparently Australia will every day with such a poor English bowling attack then there will be a few draws

Both teams have weak bowling lineups, add in the Aussie pitches and there should be some draws unless Australia take some risk

The MCG had a bit in it this year during the test match Eddie. I remember the Australian bowlers getting a bit of reverse late in the game plus some good carry as well. I remember Siddle roughing up Yousuf with a short ball at the ribcage caught by Haddin.

The difference was, that when Pakistan was bowling, there two strike bowlers were Asif and the young fella Amer, who probably weight 90 kg combined.

Not strong enough to get anything out of the deck, although, Asif did get Ponting in the first dig with a ripper.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398410 said:
Come on Eddie.

His younger brother is going to play for Australia in the future, so is the young brother Australian and the older English? :eek:

Basically both were bought up in Australia and are accustomed to Australian culture. Darren Pattinson probably couldn't give a fig about the English cricket team, he simply plays county cricket to pay the bills and if some geezer asks him to kit up for a test match against South Africa well, his not going to refuse is he?

Darren Pattison has no affinity with the English flag, other than he was born in England 30 odd years ago which he can't even remember.

What is Pattison's favourite AFL team?

Dont know, do know he barracks for Man Utd, Grimbsy Town and England

He is English, still very proud of his English heritage as is his Father, it was the Mother who wanted to leave England, dont think Darren had much say in it ;) Plus he went back to play cricket in England from the age of 16, pretty much as soon he was old enough to do so, not just someone who once he hit the first class scene saw it as some more money

Oh and it wasnt 30 odd years ago, he is only 30, not 30 odd

Of course his going to say his 'proud' to play for England, back in 2008 when he made his debut it was a great chance for him to play test cricket, your not exactly going to pass that up. My brothers supports Tottenham spurs, doesn't mean his English.

Fact is, Darren Pattinson's brother is a fair chance of representing Australian at international level, and Pattinson represents Victoria at shield level.

He sounds like a Australian as well.

Ryan Harris represents Deccan, he must be Indian :D

Darren also represents Notts as an Englishman, so what if his brother might represent Australia? He was born here, good luck to him, Darren was born in England to an English family who moved here before his brother, more than 10 years younger, was born

As for Darren being proud English, he said this well after his test debut and at a time he admitted he probably wont play for them again, got nothing to gain by saying it other than its the truth

But by your reckoning, Kevin Pietersen is more English than Darren? What a joke :rolleyes:

'Just look at the domestic comp, Adelaide and Perth are the flattest pitches, doesnt stop teams beating them because they are quite poor, the MCG is flat, but Victoria plays attacking cricket and gets the wins

Both teams have weak bowling lineups, add in the Aussie pitches and there should be some draws unless Australia take some risks'.

How often does either team make 600?

We'll have to disagree on this one.

eddiesmith;398419 said:
Ryan Harris represents Deccan, he must be Indian :D

Darren also represents Notts as an Englishman, so what if his brother might represent Australia? He was born here, good luck to him, Darren was born in England to an English family who moved here before his brother, more than 10 years younger, was born

As for Darren being proud English, he said this well after his test debut and at a time he admitted he probably wont play for them again, got nothing to gain by saying it other than its the truth

But by your reckoning, Kevin Pietersen is more English than Darren? What a joke :rolleyes:

Hussain was born in India, so what, you can't help we you are born, or if your family moves when your young. However, you can't tell me, that a guy that grew up in Australia, can suddenly become a proud Englishmen just because he was born in England?

It is absolute crap, it is like Trott and Kieswetter, these guys grew up in South Africa, they have South African accents. They have switched to England to 'further' there careers, it is purely a career move, because these players see a better future playing in England, because they have more chance of playing international cricket for England than South Africa.

It is purely based on money and/ or opportunity. If the only thing your good at is swinging a bat or bowling a ball, than your going to go anywhere to further your career and earn money.

Nash lost his Queensland contract, so he moved to the West Indies to further his career. You can't stand there with a straight face and say that Nash has any meaningful link to the West Indies other than his parents were born there.

I don't hold it against these guys, they are just doing what is best for their careers. Geoff Boycott said the same thing, it is nothing personal, it is the principle. Why should England be offering a spot in the team to these people because they are purely after the money.

It is an interesting question, would you rather be represented by 11 Australians, or 11 Englishmen and be crap, or be represented by a 'united nations' team and be half decent?

Beeswax;398422 said:
'Just look at the domestic comp, Adelaide and Perth are the flattest pitches, doesnt stop teams beating them because they are quite poor, the MCG is flat, but Victoria plays attacking cricket and gets the wins

Both teams have weak bowling lineups, add in the Aussie pitches and there should be some draws unless Australia take some risks'.

How often does either team make 600?

We'll have to disagree on this one.

Got to love the English; banking on the draws rather than actually going for the win.

The Australian seamers will run rampant through the English batsmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back