Run up and bound

Matt2010

Run up and bound

I started bowling leg spin a couple of months ago, and I have become quite good at bowling from the crease and get a fair amount of turn, but when I bowling, I struggle to get into a good position to release the ball. I have discovered that my bound is my major problem and i don't know how to rectify this. Please advise my on this issue

Re: Run up and bound

Matt welcome to the forum, hope you'll be a regular contributor. Without seeing a video of it it'll be difficult to say. Are you bounding off the correct leg? What is it you think that you're doing. Without seeing what it is you're doing the only solution I can offer in the short term is to go back to basics and use the stand start drill as a method or working towards correcting your perceived problem. Have a look at my video here and have a go at bowling like this untill you feel that this action becomes natural.

YouTube - Leg Spin bowling drill 'Stand Start'

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling Drill (Stand Start)

Is that any help do you think?

I find myself jumping upwards instead of forwards. During what you describe of "stand still" method, My technique is quite good but when bowling with a run up, I seem to be jumping upwards and I don't how to jump with my momentum going in a foward direction.

Yeah I reckon this drill will probably help then. If you do this drill and get used to this action, you'll find the motion is almost all forwards. Once you've kind of got this 'Explosion through the crease' aspect under your belt with primarily a forward motion (No jumping) the next step would be a 1 step drill where you step into the delivery action. Again this'll train you to go in from a smoother action. I think Warne in the Mark Richards (At the Gabba)? video says something along the lines of 'There's no jumping in' and if you watch his action through the crease it's smooth and not jumpy.

See this clip 4 mins and 40 seconds in YouTube - Shane Warne

Thanks. After I get use to my action, do I need to add a "jump" to my action to get into a sideways positon

Thanks. After I get use to my action, do I need to add a "jump" to my action to get into a sideways positon

Look again at these clips and see how much of a 'Jump' Warne uses, as a template for your bowling you can't go that wrong, but at the same time don't try and copy Warne exactly. If you feel okay with a jump - maybe work on the stand start drill, move on to the 1 step and into the delivery and see how it pans out, you might find that working on the 1 step drill, you'll be driving forwards more with less upwards motion? You wont really know till you put some time in with the stand start drill?

YouTube - IPL 2009: Best Of Shane Warne

I had a run up that was putting me off - had the same problem of not being able to channel the forward momentum properly. I think it's a question of what angle your body's at as you land on your back foot. I just junked a running run-up in favour of pacing into a gentle hop. At least to begin with I think it's best to trade the speed for accuracy, but I repeat I'm still trying to find a solution rather than having actually found one.

i had a jump when i first started out. i completely ditched the run up and bowled off of one step for ages. then i added a 4 pace "walk up" into the mix. then i ditched it again and got back to basics. now i can pretty much fully run in like a pace bowler and still rip my leg break. but il drag short at that speed. the best compromise ive found is the Warne walk in, with a couple of energetic strides at the end, into an explosion at the crease.

its all about maintaining forward momentum at all times, if youre jumping up then that will develop into weight transfer issues later. youll then end up struggling to rotate and keep your chest and hips aligned. id probably go to a one step approach and try to find your run up from there.

Matt2010;408479 said:
I find myself jumping upwards instead of forwards. During what you describe of "stand still" method, My technique is quite good but when bowling with a run up, I seem to be jumping upwards and I don't how to jump with my momentum going in a foward direction.

Gday Matt. Like you Im new to the art.Ive been practicing leggies for about a year now. Here are a few suggestions that have helped me. I found the feeling of jumping upward is from not getting my weight forward. I jump quite high leading into my delivery stride and I found leaning forward a little helps. My leading arm instead of pointing skywards at 90 degrees is at 45 degrees to the target which also gets my weight forward. These suggestions may or may not help but they are worth a try. Ive found leg spin is all about trial and error but so satisfying when its working.

Matt2010;408545 said:
What do you mean 45 degrees or 0.78 rad to the target

arm pointing half upwards, and half forwards. imagine the wicket keeper was about 30 feet tall, youd be pointing at his face with your leading arm lol.

I've watched some of Dave's standing drills and I'm convinced the purpose of it is to get the bowler to get his/her hips through by the time the arm is fully extended.

I think the main thing with a bowler getting used to bowling with a run up is both leg drive and getting the hips through. I can imagine it feeling very unnatural going from a side-on position and trying to push that back waist through. I can also imagine it being very strange for rhythm getting that back waist through before you even finish bowling the delivery.

But that strangeness of feeling is what I think Matt is struggling with.

I am generally Warne-centric. So for a change here is Anil Kumble.

Kumble takes 10 for in an innings.
mattq.jpg

Kumble is known for pushing the ball through. He has some pretty nice power while spinning it somewhat because he does one thing that most leg spinners don't. At his maximum extension of his arm, just before he is about to release.... his waist and shoulders are square to the batsman. Moreover to get to this position, his right leg has driven through so that from being side-on he is now completely square on.

Kumble seems to have a similar hop or jump that Matt is referring to -- get that waist going through and I think it'll solve your probs.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure what their primary purpose is unless of course you're able to video yourself doing them or have someone there with you commenting as to what you're doing wrong. Then again, that's not entirely true (I'm thinking as I'm writing here) because before now I've been practicing and not getting anywhere and decided to stop and strip everything back to basics and that's included the 'Stand start'. The affect on ocassions has been an instant improvement, because it's meant that I've increased the 'Explosion' through the crease and possibly the 180 rotation aspect of the action and straight away the balls turned off the wicket more. In the Beau Casson video I recall he said that that getting the stand start correct with the shoulders and hips rotating and the leg coming up and round and with everything pointing down the wicket, the affect should be more dip, drift and turn.

doctortran;408561 said:
I've watched some of Dave's standing drills and I'm convinced the purpose of it is to get the bowler to get his/her hips through by the time the arm is fully extended.

I think the main thing with a bowler getting used to bowling with a run up is both leg drive and getting the hips through. I can imagine it feeling very unnatural going from a side-on position and trying to push that back waist through. I can also imagine it being very strange for rhythm getting that back waist through before you even finish bowling the delivery.

But that strangeness of feeling is what I think Matt is struggling with.

I am generally Warne-centric. So for a change here is Anil Kumble.

Kumble takes 10 for in an innings.
mattq.jpg

Kumble is known for pushing the ball through. He has some pretty nice power while spinning it somewhat because he does one thing that most leg spinners don't. At his maximum extension of his arm, just before he is about to release.... his waist and shoulders are square to the batsman. Moreover to get to this position, his right leg has driven through so that from being side-on he is now completely square on.

Kumble seems to have a similar hop or jump that Matt is referring to -- get that waist going through and I think it'll solve your probs.

Tonight I was looking at the next stage on from the stand start, with the one step in and it kind of negates my skip and as you say it then makes it difficult to get side on. Taking it to 2 or 3 steps requires that I focus on just the walk in and delivery from a leg-centric point of view and I probably start to bowl more front on like possibly?

Matt2010;408565 said:
My main problem is the "jump". Do I need to jump and how do I do this

Possibly not, I don't really jump at all. Try it without the jump? Some people do have a very defined jump though, but earlier you've said that you feel you have too much upward motion, so you just need to work on going forward more. Have you tried the stand start and if so how did it work out?

Back