Running between the wickets, quick singles etc

mas cambios

Running between the wickets, quick singles etc

Following on from the post asking how to up a scoring rate I though it would be an idea to look at the basics of running between the wickets.

This is often an overlooked skill but it could be the difference between a 50 and a hundred, especially in club cricket.

The very basics of this skill can be outlined in 10 points, as follows:

1. Only three calls should be used: Yes, No and Wait.

2. Early clear calling avoids confusion.

3. The batsman on strike must call when he hits the ball in front of the wicket. When the ball goes behind point or square leg, the non striker must call.

4. Good communication between the batsmen is a big advantage. If the non striker is aware of the area in which the striker feels he can work a single, the non striker can set off as soon as he sees the striker shape to play in this particular area.

5. The non striker must back up a couple of metres down the wicket as the bowler delivers.

6. When turning for a second,third or fourth run,the batsmen must always face the direction of the ball. In other words don’t turn blind. (He must make sure that the bat is in the appropriate hand to allow for this).

7. If at any stage the batsmen feel that the run will be of risk ,they must loudly and positively call NO!!!

8. When the batsmen reaches the other end, he must keep low so that he can make himself as long as possible which cuts down the distance he needs to run. This will also ensure a low body position which will help his legs drive and accelerate when coming out of the turn.

9. The batsman must always slide his bat into the crease.

10. The batsmen must always be alert and aware of the field placings.

A good way to train for this is to hold relay races or even races between 3 or 4 of you - think like a sprinter here, it may even be beneficial to get on down to your local athletics club to pick up tips and training advice.

A further option is to play tip and run and look to turn 1's into 2' and so on.

Re: Running between the wickets, quick singles etc

Good tips. I am pretty quick between the wickets but sometimes I fear taking quick singles because I think the fielder will do a good pick up and throw and run me out. Though I am still a sound runner between the wickets.

Nice One! I always had trouble with running between wickets. Now I see that I never followed the things you mention. I'm probably a bit too nervous when I am down the other end and don't know when to run.

I suck at running between the wickets. I once had a massive mix up with my mate. I hit it to the right of the fielder, waited a second or 2 before saying yes. Ran half way, only to here my mate call NO!!!!! I ran back, and was out by over a metre from a direct hit. Was so pissed off. :(

Its like crossing a road, look, listen and .... well the next word is "live," but ill replace it with "backing up,"

As a none striker, BACK UP!

Have faith in your own abilities, as long as it does not go straight to an infielder, there is usually a single on unless it is a good fielder. You must have mutual understanding with your partner if you are going to take quick singles though because hesitation costs loads of wickets with singles to the infield.

In addition to 5, as soon as the bowler jumps, the non striker is allowed to run, so take that into consideration.

im a confident runner bewtween wickets but i always seem to be batting with a partner who is either inexperienced or is a very unconfident runner, which results in me getting blamed for many runouts. ran one of me best mates out for a diamond duck in an akward mixup.

anyways, whats a good way (traning drill etc) to boost the confidence of people running between wickets/\?

RILES! said:
im a confident runner bewtween wickets but i always seem to be batting with a partner who is either inexperienced or is a very unconfident runner, which results in me getting blamed for many runouts. ran one of me best mates out for a diamond duck in an akward mixup.

anyways, whats a good way (traning drill etc) to boost the confidence of people running between wickets/\?

*Cough* Hammill *Cough*

I tend to use Stay, as No sounds like go. Also calls like look for 2

If you want to work on your running i really recommend doing interval sprints with someone observing here is an example:

Equipment needed:

Bat
Pads
Helmet
Gloves
Cones

Most equipment there is optional but is useful to train with your full batting weight. Get the observer to shout YES! Then run up and back between the cones twice as quick as possible to replicate a single. Have a 10 second break then repeat until you have run 8. Take a minute break and do again until you have done the 4x2runs 5 times in effect 40 runs. Its really useful :).

one of the guys in our team just keeps watching the ball and that always causes trouble i just say to him run when i call coz hes absolutley awful at judging runs.

Left_Hander said:
I just find it hard to have to faith in getting quick singles.

Same, I've had a couple of run outs where I've called yes, gotten half way down the pitch, and had to run all the way back. So I've ran a full pitch length, and the other guy has just stayed there.

It depends whos your batting partner.
I had a 57 run partnership last week, most of my runs in that partnership was just tapping it in the gaps and running. Then when he got out i wa batting with this other guy, he hit one into the gap, easy single. Im yeling "Yes, yes yes!" Got half way up the pitch and realised hes facing the other way, just standing there doing nothing. So i had to run back.

Sean said:
Same, I've had a couple of run outs where I've called yes, gotten half way down the pitch, and had to run all the way back. So I've ran a full pitch length, and the other guy has just stayed there.

this is why you must practice your running with others. im guessing your young and sometimes you young ones are scared to take charge. when out in the middle and with someone who is poor runner, take control. you tell him what to do, when to run and let him know your calls.

ok he needs to watch your blind spots but by having someone he trusts it will help you to score more

i love stealing quick singles :D. its just so much fun, especially seeing the opposition crack under the pressure. thats when the runs get the easiest :)

Loads of good avice here, as usual. There are a few things that can develop your running bewteen the wickets of course. You have to be confident and trust eachother.

Practise - My club will spend more time doing middle practise than just nets next season, as we are rubbish at accumliating easy runs. This helps when you pair batsman that are likely to bat together to build a relationship.

Netting - When using a bowling machine place a cone a third of the way down the track. After striking the ball, run to the cone and back. This gets you into the practise of looking for the run. Your coach can develop this with adding calling to the practise.

Turning - I have recently read that a good runner can judge the run and if a second is on, can turn on his stronger side to get back for 2. If this means turning blind, than no risk if judged well. It also states that when coaching the younger cricketer, teach them the correct way and watch the ball.

Back