Running between the wickets, quick singles etc

Re: Running between the wickets, quick singles etc

leggeb4 said:
Practise - My club will spend more time doing middle practise than just nets next season, as we are rubbish at accumliating easy runs. This helps when you pair batsman that are likely to bat together to build a relationship.
This is the exact same problem my team has, and our coach doesnt do as much training in the middle as i would like to see. there were 4 run outs in our last game (i was one of them :embarrassed:)

Suggest to him that the team would improve with middle practise, you can always get another session in the nets, but it's out in the middle with fielders where the the real practise is turned into results. Good luck with the training.

how do i put runs on the board i can only place the block shot and the slog shot which means i either stay in 4 a long time and score little runs or stay in for a shot time and slog it but get out easy any suggestions??

an easy thing to do is just play the defnce shot into a gap, or even drop it at your feet for a quick single. and because you come in at 9 you will more likely put the, no offence, better batsmen on strike and that is often the job of the tail ender

yes i no but alot of the time my coach tells me to go out there and score runs like any other batsmen would

but do you think you are helping the team by playing a few shots and getting out, or settling in, getting a few singles and building a partnership. and anyway you can only play to your capabilities, its all about feeling comfortable out there in the middle

i want to get out there and build a partnership ill jus have to learn to play certain shots

Well yeah, just work in the nets getting someone to throw or bowl down balls that that you can drive/cut/pull and work on honing your skills with those shots. then when your out in the middle build up your confidence with them

oh and by the way how old are you, if you dont mind?

kizza said:
how do i put runs on the board i can only place the block shot and the slog shot which means i either stay in 4 a long time and score little runs or stay in for a shot time and slog it but get out easy any suggestions??

Reply for a member with a similar problem:

Many cricketers have struggles with this problem with is part mental, part technical. If you go into bat with the mindset just to block, that’s exactly what you’ll do and importantly, your backswing is likely to follow suit in that it will be restricted and tight meaning any scoring opportunities that do present themselves will be harder to take advantage of.

If you watch Ricky Ponting, he picks that bat up from the word go with the toe of the bat always pointing to the sky. That gives him tremendous leverage to create the required bat speed to hit the ball hard and is also a subconscious statement of intent – he’s going in there to hit the ball

You also need to remove the fear factor of getting out, which is inhibiting your strokeplay. Next time you bat, pick an appropriate stroke to the type of bowler you’re facing and when he bowls a ball in that area, commit yourself 100% to the shot. For an example, you might be facing an off-spinner landing the ball consistently with the field up, preventing you pinching singles. Wait for a full or flighted ball and use your feet to hit him back over his head.

If successful, your calculated risk will result in a fielding change creating more gaps in the field enabling you to take more singles. It’s all about the intent you have when you go out there – don’t worry about getting out as it will hold you back.

Back