Semi-final: Australia vs. New Zealand

B

Bennycoff

Semi-final: Australia vs. New Zealand

ICC Champions Trophy

Semi-final Action starts today

Australia take on New Zealand in what should be a fantastic match.

Australia have found some form with Watson, Ponting and McGrath all producing the goods last match with Martyn also starring this tournament. We've also seen the rise of Mitchell Johnson.

New Zealand have shown good signs this tournament however are still brittle and rely too heavily on Fleming. Mills has impressed this tournament and proves the wild card and if Bond gets going we'll have a game on our hands.

Teams (likely)

Australia: 1 Shane Watson, 2 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Damien Martyn, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Andrew Symonds, 7 Michael Hussey, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Mitchell Johnson, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Glenn McGrath.

New Zealand: 1 Lou Vincent, 2 Stephen Fleming (capt), 3 Nathan Astle, 4 Peter Fulton, 5 Hamish Marshall, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Brendon McCullum (wk), 8 Daniel Vettori, 9 James Franklin, 10 Shane Bond, 11 Kyle Mills.

Go Aussie Go, I'm confident we can beat the Kiwis. :D

Re: Semi-final: Australia vs. New Zealand

I think the Aussies will be overconfident and NZ will pull off the win. I think. I'd be a bit more certain if Jetan Patel were playing for them. I'm not sure why he got dropped. Seems a bit unfair.

I am hoping the Aussies pull off a comfortable win but who knows with our history in this tournament.

cleazer;110456 said:
I'd be a bit more certain if Jetan Patel were playing for them. I'm not sure why he got dropped. Seems a bit unfair.

Maybe New Zealand doesn't think they have as much need for a spinner? :confused: I agree he should have been there.

Confident we can smash these Kiwis. If Bond doesn't fire we should win easily.

Mills gets Gilchrist too!
What a start!

4-2 after 2.5 overs

Good partnership for Ponting and Martyn.

62-2 after 16.

Ponting & Martyn have settled Australia in...
69/2, both on 26 runs in 18 overs.

95-3 after 25 overs

Hussey has looked a little uncomfortable out there, though that may have been more due to Vettori than him.

133-4 after 32.

The Ponting wicket was indeed a big one, he's certainly looked to be the best batsman out there so far today.

Still on target for somewhere around 240 or 250 here, barring a few quick wickets.

I wonder how many more overs Franklin is going to get today. The fewer the better from New Zealand's point of view.

big six by symonds puts vettori back in his box, yay

EDIT: hhmmm not comfortable anymore Hussey out for 35, symonds on 46*, 188/5 from 40.1 overs.

Shocking!
Franklin comes back on for no apparent reason, and then he gets Hussey with the first ball of the over. Go figure. I'm a little surprised Hussey lasted as long as he did today.

Australia 188-5 after 40.1

Symonds is out there playing like he's Andrew Symonds today. What a fun hitter to watch!

EDIT: a wicket maiden for Franklin! 188-5 after 41. How bizarre is that? Out of nowhere, Franklin gets a maiden and a wicket.

yeh and off half the normal run-up too. the gods are against us lol jokes jokes.

EDIT: Symonds out for 58. seems to be "the" number 211/6

EDIT: Clarke out for 14. 220/7 with 3 overs to go.

Well after a poor start Australia have recovered to post a decent total of 240. Mills was best with the ball getting 4-38. Ponting and Symonds both posted healthy 58's.

EDIT: Vincent out early for 1. 16/1 off 5.3 overs.

Back