Semi-final: Australia vs. New Zealand

Re: Semi-final: Australia vs. New Zealand

Australia finished up with 9/240 off their 50 overs. Ponting and Symonds each top scored with 58. Kyle Mills continued his recent good form with 4/38. Shane Bond took 2/55.

New Zealand's innings started horribly, they slumped to 6/35 when McCullum fell in the 15th over with Fleming the only real contributor with 15. Then a wonderful 103-run partnership between Oram and Vettori seemed to get them back in a reasonable position.

But consistent wickets see them currently at 9/204 after 45.3 overs. Mills is on 20, Bond on 8.

And that's it!! Mills edges Lee to Gilchrist and is out for 21 with Bond stranded on 9.

New Zealand are all out for 206. Lee finishes with 2/31 and McGrath back to his best with 3/22. Bracken picked up 2/34.

Australia win by 34 runs and are into the Champions Trophy for the first time!!!

Man of the Match was Glenn McGrath.

Well, that sure was an interesting end to the match there. Vettori was fantastic, and even after he went, it seemed like Mills and Bond were still going for it. Surprisingly entertaining match considering how absolutely worthless the New Zealand top order was.

Should be an interesting final. Australia is either going to face South Africa, the #2 team in the world who beat the Aussies in that ridiculous run-fest earlier this year, or the West Indies, who seem to have no fear when facing Australia lately.

another "classic" Australia-New Zealand game.

Australia-New Zealand games always seem to throw something into the works don't they? There is always excitement of some sort when they play

Good quality game and some excitment. Would be great to see the Aussies have a win overall, but who really knows.

i'd prefer that the aussies faced South Africa, given the fact the the Windies beat us earlier in the tournament.

rumblah;110759 said:
i'd prefer that the aussies faced South Africa, given the fact the the Windies beat us earlier in the tournament.

If we do play South Africa hopefully its another cracker like earlier in the year when we posted 434 and they chased the runs but i cant c that happening especially knowing these dodgy Indian tracks. Bowlers will be to strong for South Africa.
We should be able to beat West Indies if we play them, they havent seemed to be able to produce on the big stage lately

This_was_Smith:)

jamie_yob29;110772 said:
If we do play South Africa hopefully its another cracker like earlier in the year when we posted 434 and they chased the runs but i cant c that happening especially knowing these dodgy Indian tracks. Bowlers will be to strong for South Africa.
We should be able to beat West Indies if we play them, they havent seemed to be able to produce on the big stage lately
This_was_Smith:)

are you forgetting they beat us earlier in the tournament?

Damn Australians, they always win in the end. :mad:

If only all these teams like New Zealand, India didn't bat stupidly when they face yellow and green colors, the most responsible batsmen committing harakiri! These other teams definitely have individual talent, but always lack in strategy, vital teamwork when playing against Australia. No matter what Vettori and Oram set out to do, it was all over when Fleming went to a horrible shot. Fleming was supposed to be the main man, responsible to carry through the innings.

One day, these Aussies will surely be beaten. Sigh. I'm sure either of South Africa or West Indies will be able to do it. I really, really hope so.

Back