Should KUMBLE retire after AUTRALIA series

Is this the best time for Kumble to announce retirment?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Should KUMBLE retire after AUTRALIA series

mas cambios;273599 said:
The emergence of Mishra probably makes it easier for him to go as well, as he may well feel that a replacement has been found.
Yeah and he has shown his skills as well. I reckon he will stay in the team now that Kumble is out injured.

Good point Scott; with Amit taking wickets on his debut test match...the selectors and everybody in general will feel relieved and now can think of taking up replacement issue of senior players more aggressively.

This will be a confidence booster for other upcoming players hopeful of
playing cricket for India and the seniors might feel the pinch...

We need to groom the next set of players so as to replace the current lot like sachin,saurav,rahul,laxman and kumble..

Today if u look Australis do not have a spin bowling option after shane.
Cameroon white has so far not be effective...

Seems that Kumble has taken the advice of the OP. He's going to announce his retirement today.

mas cambios;277623 said:
Was he pushed or did he jump?
He had to due to the injuries that he has got. So it was probably doctor's orders there as well as him making his own decision. He already knew that he was retiring but didn't know if it was going to be after the series or during. It has been done now all because he has a nasty finger injury and his shoulder is giving him some hassles.

You could be right but I have a feeling that they may have told him that Dhoni was taking over for the final game.

The Indian selectors are loyal to some but others they don't quite have the same levels of sentimentality over.

Regardless of what happened, he served his country well over a number of years, won them countless games and saved a fair few as well. Along with Warne and Murali, he helped to push spin bowling back into the minds of selectors and will be missed.

mas cambios;277656 said:
You could be right but I have a feeling that they may have told him that Dhoni was taking over for the final game.

The Indian selectors are loyal to some but others they don't quite have the same levels of sentimentality over.

Regardless of what happened, he served his country well over a number of years, won them countless games and saved a fair few as well. Along with Warne and Murali, he helped to push spin bowling back into the minds of selectors and will be missed.
I can tell you it is definately due to injury. Found that one out on the radio last night.
Grandstand: Criticism not behind retirement: Kumble

That's the official line, he's hardly likely to come out and bash the Indian board/selectors is he. Look at the trouble Ganguly attracted when he laid into the BCCI and local boards.

Kumble has a bit more class than that. I don't doubt that the injury has a part to play in it but I can't feeling that the performance of the Indian side in the last test (under Dhoni) played a part. His captaincy received a lot of praise whereas Kumble got little more than stick, espeically coming off a bad run (defeat to SL etc).

Politics plays a large part in Indian cricket, most of it behind closed doors, always helps to keep your mind open about things and read a variety of press reports from different media agencies.

mas cambios;277716 said:
That's the official line, he's hardly likely to come out and bash the Indian board/selectors is he. Look at the trouble Ganguly attracted when he laid into the BCCI and local boards.

Kumble has a bit more class than that. I don't doubt that the injury has a part to play in it but I can't feeling that the performance of the Indian side in the last test (under Dhoni) played a part. His captaincy received a lot of praise whereas Kumble got little more than stick, espeically coming off a bad run (defeat to SL etc).

Politics plays a large part in Indian cricket, most of it behind closed doors, always helps to keep your mind open about things and read a variety of press reports from different media agencies.
Anil has never been that sort of guy to actually sound like he has been on the angry pills with the selectors. He just takes everything on the chin. I don't think that Politics was the case here. I think that Anil just thought that this was his time to go out.
Expect Satchin to go out on his own terms as well.
I think that Mishra will be the guy to replace Anil as the main leg spinner. He is just as awesome and will fit in those huge shoes that Kumble has left behind.

mas cambios;277716 said:

You're right on Kumble as a guy. He will go down as not only one of the real gentlemen of cricket, but along with Shane Warne as one of the guys who brought back the art of legspin and a champion legspinner at that, which was considered near dead for a long time.:)
As for him retiring, he wasn't going to play anyway in the next test with his finger, plus his form was really on the wane.
For India's sake, they would want to hope that Mishra is ready to take on the mantle of no.1 spinner from here on in, and for the captaincy not to affect Dhoni too much, as he has the responsibility of keeping and being a matchwinning batsman. I suspect the first point I made will be a success at the very least.

I'm not going to make any assumptions here, as in was he pushed. If anything, I will say he was aloud to go out on his own terms.

And if Mishra doesn't work out- they have that other young guy who played in the one day series out here last year- Chalwa or something like that??? :confused:

Anil Kumble's decision was a stunner but it was expected sooner or later...
But he took that call.
As a player he will always be remembered as a champion and never give up player...
He also gave his best efforts for the team's cause...
After his retirement their are chances of Amit Mishra taking the leg spin bowling forward for India...and Piyush Chawla is also in the waiting...
Plus there is a new left arm spinner-Ojha who is in the selectors mind...
So we have many spin bowling options but the important thing is for Harbhajan singh to handle the spin department with more maturity and try to avoid the off field acts..

Virendersingh.berthwal;278182 said:
So we have many spin bowling options but the important thing is for Harbhajan singh to handle the spin department with more maturity and try to avoid the off field acts..

Is that possible? :D

Virendersingh.berthwal;278182 said:
Anil Kumble's decision was a stunner but it was expected sooner or later...
But he took that call.
As a player he will always be remembered as a champion and never give up player...
He also gave his best efforts for the team's cause...
After his retirement their are chances of Amit Mishra taking the leg spin bowling forward for India...and Piyush Chawla is also in the waiting...
Plus there is a new left arm spinner-Ojha who is in the selectors mind...
I am looking forward to seeing all these new spinners in action. Don't forget you have got Sehwag who is an awesome spinner.

schwab2clarkson;278262 said:
I am looking forward to seeing all these new spinners in action. Don't forget you have got Sehwag who is an awesome spinner.

Please it was one game where he was able to utilise the pitch to his abilities. He is a part-timer that was succesful in one game not heaps. And I doubt his first class stats would tell you any different.

Bolwing stats are around the 37 mark for both tests and first class. Not the worst in the world by any means but not the mark of a front line spinner.

D.K;278283 said:
Please it was one game where he was able to utilise the pitch to his abilities. He is a part-timer that was succesful in one game not heaps. And I doubt his first class stats would tell you any different.
Sehwag is one of the best bowlers I have ever seen. He shouldn't be used as a part timer. I am telling you that he is awesome. It wasn't just the pitch, It was what he bowled. He was used more when Tendulkar was skipper. The rest of the skippers haven't really used him more.

Agreed;at times shewag is under utilised but his main role in the team is batting...
but in test matches he can bowl a few overs...as well

schwab2clarkson;278387 said:
Sehwag is one of the best bowlers I have ever seen. He shouldn't be used as a part timer. I am telling you that he is awesome. It wasn't just the pitch, It was what he bowled. He was used more when Tendulkar was skipper. The rest of the skippers haven't really used him more.
The last time Tendulkar captained India was before Sehwag made his debut. Sehwag is a part time bowler who can be effective in helpful conditions.

Back