someblokecalleddave's Blog

Re: someblokecalleddave's Blog

If you're a regular visitor to the Spinning thread you may have noticed that we have a thread where we post links to on-line resources (videos, blogs, diagrams, explanations and guidance) http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t75717/ but recently one of the key videos that we direct people to has been removed.

The video that was removed was unlike any of the Jenner/warne videos that look primarily at the grips, this video dealt with

Run up and the fact that it should be straight. The drill involved using a series of cones creating a 'Lane' in which your run up was then directed in order you to run up in a straight line. The emphasis was that everything should be in line as you bowl, your hips, shoulders, eyes, leading arm, feet etc.

The explosion through the crease In this section Beau Casson demonstrated a standing start delivery emphasising a high leading arm, a defined rotation with the back leg almost kicking your butt. If I remember rightly there was also the reinforcement of the need for the landing leg to be pointing in the direction that you needed to be bowling when it landed (not the pivot leg) and that the rotation needed to be 180 degrees and with power -hence the description of it being an explosion through the crease.

The one step in delivery The follow up delivery was off of one step, but the rest of the message was pretty much the same, but possibly included the attention to the follow through and the fact that it is required and essential still.

The braced Pivot leg The need for a braced pivot leg through the action and the need for the rotation to be compact and through 180 degrees with eveything pointing down the wicket again. This was a clip filmed front on.

The first step onto the pivot foot There was some indication that this step needs to be fairly long, positive, pointing towards the stumps and then braced through the action and going up onto the toes in the pivot.

180 line drill This clip showed David Freedman pretending to explode through the crease going through the motions of a delivery along a line on a football pitch to check that every thing is straight and the rotation is 180 degrees along the line.

The follow through This is one aspect I'm not sure about either, the leading arm I think I recall was suggested that it 'Tucks in the ribs' neatly in a compact manner and the delivery (ball hand) follows through down to the left hip in the follow through action as you fade out of the explosion.

The reason I've written all this up is to possibly start some discussion with regards as to whether it sounds right and whether anyone want to under takes making a video themselves that demonstrates the drills. Indeed if you've ever been coached by Jenner or anyone that knows what they're talking about and you can replicate the drills please film them and upload them as there's nothing like this on the web at all. I'm considering it, but to be honest I'm a learner myself and might do more harm than good?

The boy did well
Blog+_9783.jpg

Best bowler of 2010 My older son, he bowls seam up and they said of him

"This goes to a lad, who despite not taking the most wickets, bowled, we felt in a very consistent and mature way, varying his technique and demonstrating a good solid bowling action and the ability to not get flustered by being hit for runs, this lad wins the best bowler of the year..... Ben Thompson".

Great stuff from the young bloke. He did well didn't he? Not always best figures equals best bowler.

Yeah he dabbles with it and gets it to turn when he does, but he hasn't got the patience at the minute to develop it further. There's also the fact that his younger brother Joe is a slow bowler and he's got exceptionally good accuracy line and length and bowls Leg-Breaks and Wrong Uns already. I think because the competition between the two of them is so over the top, bordering on being nasty sometimes, Ben wouldn't allow himself to be out-classed by his little brother by trying to bowl the same stuff. It's a good job that Joe didn't find his spin this year till their season was over because there would have been hell if Joe had won this award this year in the U11's!!! I reckon he would have been a close contender as well possibly coming 2nd, because the same as Ben, Joe doesn't get flustered either when being hit all over the park and Joe simply varies the pace, flight and length and I'm sure takes as many wickets? I actually prefer Joe's bowling because it's clever and accurate whereas Ben's sometimes just comes across as brute force albeit very accurate too. They're both hopefully going to go on and really enjoy their cricket and maybe one day appreciate each others differences and skills?

2:1 Joe wins U 11's next year?
4:1 Ben wins under 13's?

I'm a photographer by trade and I teach photography at the minute and get very little chance to shoot real pictures or work on commissions. As I've been teaching photography I've been gradually absorbed into the idea of Photography as contemporary art and my favourite genres are Typology, Topography and Deadpan in relation to landscapes. After years of teaching this stuff and having an interest in the concept of 'Space utilisation' I've finally come up with an idea for a photographic project......

I'm going to photograph neglected or de-commissioned cricket pitches exploring visually the effects of the passing of time or the subsequent use of the space. Near where I live within a matter of miles, I've already realised that there are 8 pitches that have been de-commissioned or neglected for some reason. If there's anyone out there that lives in Essex, Kent, London, or possibly within a 100 miles of Basildon or within 15 miles of the M1 between London and Derbyshire and you know of a neglected cricket pitch or space that was occupied by a cricket pitch and still has the pavillion or the remnants of the pavillion could you contact me so that I can research the area and consider it for my project please?

I almost posted this on another webpage at crictips but it got a bit waffly.............

I'm involved in the aforementioned debate over at bigcricket as I've got 2 boys that are 9 and 12. I'm in a situation where I'm aware that at 9 and 12 my lads do not share my obessessiveness with the game, so I have to be careful with the over-kill scenario. This evening when I came in my wife mentioned that the older lad Ben had turned down the suggestion to add swimming to his weekly activity list even though it's just for 1/2 an hour at lunch at school. The only other formal activity he's involved in through the winter is Karate and that's just an hour a week.
I spoke to him about the swimming and he said that it was boring. He's a good swimmer and I pointed out that if he was to join, just because of his physical size he'd probably be one of the faster swimmers and therefore be an integral part of the team? He disputed that saying that there was another kid that was a superb swimmer and that he'd be the best and reiterated the boredom aspect. I tried to make the point............
"But you say that bowling's boring".
"No - bowlings not....... I'm good at bowling - I always win, I'm far better at bowling".
You don't know how that was music to my ears, he gives off the impression of total indifference when it comes to cricket and like me when I was younger he needs to be motivated (Kicked up the backside almost) to get going.

I said on the other thread, that I believe that boys need to be directed and cajolled into doing things otherwise they will just end up sitting around eating crap and drinking energy drinks whilst sitting on their backside texting crap back and forth to each other about nothing expending no energy.

So I probably will suggest that Ben hasn't got any options and that he will be going swimming at his school Friday dinner times and we'll probably find that secretly he likes it just the same as he did tonight when he let the cat out of the bag letting me know that he obviously derives more pleasure out of his bowling than he outwardly admits or shows!

So I will be getting both of my lads out through the winter for an hour or so a week, just to keep things ticking over, just to keep them aware of their flagging fitness levels if karate does end up being the only thing that they do and I don't think that it'll have any detrimental affect. In fact I think that when it comes to nets again in February it'll mean that they'll be straight into the attack and seeing the benefits of keeping things ticking over.

More testing of the Sidearm Pro and some conclusions drawn now that might be useful if you're about to buy the lesser versions. In my humble opinion the lesser versions are not required and the Pro will do all the work you need. If you're looking to work with kids with the Sidearm, you might find ths useful http://www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/ (Jan 22nd entry)

Nets have started here in the UK running up to the start of the season at the end of March. So far so good with batsmen that are at my level. First and 2nd XI blokes are a bit more of a handful and I had one in the net tonight, got him a couple of times with LBW's and got the ball past the edge of the bat a few times, but he was good and I don't know whether he'd have padded the ball away and not offered a shot in a real match, but the deliveries he did that to were wrong uns, so I'm not sure why he went for that option with those deliveries. Towards the end realising that I wasnt really getting anywhere with this bloke, I thought about what I was doing wrong with my leg break and I realised I simply wasn't bringing the arm down and through past the hip in the follow through and this wasn't helping with the spin. Soon as I got that going (Last two balls) I was getting a lot more spin and the two last balls dipped and caused him problems. I need to go along to the net sessions with a bloody check list...

• Strong Leading arm
  • Land out of the bound with your foot at right angles to the direction so you're side on.
  • Whip the arm over
  • Get up on the pivot foot and twist
  • Bring the bowling arm over through past the hips
Something like that!

Interesting set up at our nets tonight, because of the snow (I'm assuming) there were hardly any blokes there, so I was able to bowl in the 3rd net on my own all night. Towards the end I was pretty much doing what I do in the summer - bowl a number of balls go and collect them - bowl again ad infinitum and no-one esle joined me. One of the batsman asked 'Why don't you bowl in this net'? I looked and there were 6 blokes, it would have panned out that I'd have bowled once every 4 minutes or so, whereas where I was I was bowling a ball every 30 seconds.

Overall it went okay, still not getting all the component parts of my bowling together, but it was turning quite a bit with loads of bounce and frequent drift, so looks promising. Hopefully off to the Essex County Ground tomorrow to meet up with forum regulars Tony M, his son Oli' and Liz Ward at some strength and conditioning do, I haven't got a clue as to what'll be happeining and I feel a bit of a Charalaton as it's meant for coaches and I'm not a coach! Taking both of my lads as well, watch this space tomorrow for a report as to how it went.

Dave - the course is Sunday, hope you can still make it. No need to feel out of place, I think having listened to Liz for a while on here you will be way ahead of many ECB trained coaches in this area. As this forum continually proves, there is more to good advice than qualifications and people's willingness to learn and share that knowledge in a way to help others is what it is really all about.

Looking forward to SUNDAY :)

Dave - the course is Sunday, hope you can still make it. No need to feel out of place, I think having listened to Liz for a while on here you will be way ahead of many ECB trained coaches in this area. As this forum continually proves, there is more to good advice than qualifications and people's willingness to learn and share that knowledge in a way to help others is what it is really all about.

Looking forward to SUNDAY :)

Yeah I think we're okay for Sunday too (99.9%) sure it'll be okay. That means we'll finish there and go straight to nets for the boys!

Back