Subbies 2011/12

Fair call I thought. How can you be voted best player in the comp but not in the best team? Can't remember the last time a Brownlow medallist missed All Australian.
2000 - Shane Woewodin.

Problem here is that thw Team of the Year is stats driven. At 300 runs and 30 wickets, there are statistically better players in the team. I'm sure selectors weren't given the result if the Hatch Medal prior to picking. PV won a lot of games with low run totals.

I didn't like the Prez's comments and they didn't go down well with clubs in our vicinity. As a general rule I reckon when you are accepting an award on BEHALF OF SOME ONE ELSE, congratulate the the player, say thank you and GET OFF!!!!.

By his comments, all he has done is embarrass himself, his club, but more importantly, Lorenzo Ingram. I doubt very much if he would have made those commnets. And while Ingram may have been unlucky not to be named in the team of the year, there is certainly an argument that he was also fortunate to win the medal, if you look at the numbers of the players who finished behind him.

But that's the way it is, the umpires saw it that way and good on him. The TOTY is picked on numbers and his didn't quite stack up.

If you want a lesson in class and dignity, Travaglia provided it (again) when being interviewed as the runner up. Either when accepting an award, on behalf of himself or his club, he represents his club superbly.

Thats right SS, most of our batting improvement needs to come from whats already within the club. Exciting to get a player of Pete's ability on board though. Bowling attack should be strong.
Any news from the Saints?

Apart from Entwistle, no newys yet although we are still on the hunt. PNG boys not coming back was a bit of a blow, however, we had a couple who were injured for most of the year who will hopefully be back. Plus young kids who we thought would be off may hang around for at least a year or two.

Yep from what I saw the PNG boys were both pretty handy. The bowler more so than the batsman. You guys also had 2 poms that had played a bit in the VTCA? WIll they be around again?
I know Ormond have appointed a new coach- probably more a coach than a gun player?
Havent heard a lot from Moorabbin or Elsty. Caulfield I know might lose a few?

Yep from what I saw the PNG boys were both pretty handy. The bowler more so than the batsman. You guys also had 2 poms that had played a bit in the VTCA? WIll they be around again?
I know Ormond have appointed a new coach- probably more a coach than a gun player?
Our VTCA boys Fenton & Dale will be back. Hawley (other Pom) may be back. We don't think we have lost anything other than the PNG boys, however, on past experiences, this always changes during an off season.

PV have picked up Matt Hunter formerly from Richmond. Throw him in with Ayres, Ingram and Sheedy and they have a reasonable top 6 now.

They we're a handy outfit this year, proved to be in the bracket just below the premium teams. I think these additions will have them up with Kew and Oakleigh of the NE group in season 2012/2013. Is Ingram staying around?
Bowling was good, batting hit and miss. These signings will definately be a huge boost. Ingram will be returning.

Was talking to some of the PV boys Hatch night who said he was back. We'll see, obviously a handy player and they certainly rate him.

Haven't heard too much more, aprt from the Brighton boys. Trying to shore up a few of our own!

Looks like there is a big influx of ex-premier cricketers into the subbies ranks this year. More than usual? Not sure it will make the premier clubs all that happy. When do they vote on the grant again? Any news from Malvern? I've heard that they may also be losing a few. If Caulfield do lose a few, they will replace like for like.

[like.[/quote]
Looks like there is a big influx of ex-premier cricketers into the subbies ranks this year. More than usual? Not sure it will make the premier clubs all that happy. When do they vote on the grant again? Any news from Malvern? I've heard that they may also be losing a few. If Caulfield do lose a few, they will replace like for like.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Premier Clubs insist the subbies introduce the player points system as a condition of their voting in favour of the grant in some form or other continuing. This is based on the thinking of a Premier Club with whom I have a connection. Hardly surprising really, since their comp already has it. As you will know, of the 'big three comps' the subbies is the odd man out.
Sunshine have appointed Rex Bennett as non-playing coach. I think he played in Footscray C C's 79/80 premiership team and have been told he has been coaching for more than 25 years, but this all I know about him. Can anyone fill in a few more details about his coaching background?

Back