Subbies 2011/12

In all seriousness, how do you think Melton would go in Premier Cricket?? Half of their team left premier cricket clubs to play subbies so why would those players want to go back and play in the comp that they left?

Take Harwood, Geisler, Allan etc out of that team and they would be struggling to get a win against North Melbourne or even Hawthorn Monash.

In all seriousness, how do you think Melton would go in Premier Cricket?? Half of their team left premier cricket clubs to play subbies so why would those players want to go back and play in the comp that they left?

Take Harwood, Geisler, Allan etc out of that team and they would be struggling to get a win against North Melbourne or even Hawthorn Monash.
So you are assuming that they will lose all those players and not recruit ANYBODY!!!! And yet you already rate them above a couple of your traditional clubs. So the Lions at their worst, losing their 3 "gun" players are better than some of of the strugglers at their BEST.

Let's see, if they can get ex players Dylan Kight, Ashley Sweet, Tim O'Brien and Ben McRae to return and recruit any number of juniors that currently live in their catchment area, that's not a bad start. Maybe they can convince Craig Berger to come an "help out" his old side.

They are not even in Premier Cricket, and they are starting to cop it from Premier site forum posters.

Let me tell you, this mob will take NO TIME at all in becoming a force in Premier Cricket, because they like to win,they have an enviable administration, and a junior development program, that is something most Premier clubs can only dream about.

Already over the last 4 seasons, Ringwood, Dandenong and Frankston have all played grand finals and won Premier flags. Oh, that's right, they were all former Subbies clubs. Better get used of another one, because Melton will be the best prepared side yet to join Premier Cricket.

So you are assuming that they will lose all those players and not recruit ANYBODY!!!! And yet you already rate them above a couple of your traditional clubs. So the Lions at their worst, losing their 3 "gun" players are better than some of of the strugglers at their BEST.

Let's see, if they can get ex players Dylan Kight, Ashley Sweet, Tim O'Brien and Ben McRae to return and recruit any number of juniors that currently live in their catchment area, that's not a bad start. Maybe they can convince Craig Berger to come an "help out" his old side.

They are not even in Premier Cricket, and they are starting to cop it from Premier site forum posters.

Let me tell you, this mob will take NO TIME at all in becoming a force in Premier Cricket, because they like to win,they have an enviable administration, and a junior development program, that is something most Premier clubs can only dream about.

Already over the last 4 seasons, Ringwood, Dandenong and Frankston have all played grand finals and won Premier flags. Oh, that's right, they were all former Subbies clubs. Better get used of another one, because Melton will be the best prepared side yet to join Premier Cricket.

Of course some players will return, and they def would be better than some premier sides, other players will flock to the club aswell, the only thing they may struggle with is the lack of the clubs around in the area (attracting local talent )
But saying this im sure there are more clubs in this area than there are around the North Melbourne area

I was assuming they would not keep those players mentioned considering they left premier cricket. I did not say they would not recruit anybody.

They might find it hard to get Kight back to the club with WA having a keen eye on him and being in the top 2 players at the doggies.

They are not copping it from me, their sub district record speaks for itself. I just did not ask the question in the right way.

It took Ringwood 30 years to win a flag, danadenong (after they merged with a few other clubs) 13 years and Frankston have not won a flag so while those teams have been up and about, it has taken time to get where they are.

Footscray Edgewater is very unhappy at the prospect of a competitor. It will happen, it is just a matter of when. Heard a whisper that Cricket Victoria may be in discussion with Wyndham City Council to develop a cricket complex at Tarneit. Geographically, it is within easy reach of Melton as well as Werribee, Hoppers Xing and Point Cook so, maybe, there is something in it. A potential draw-back could well be a new club would have to start from scratch, but I guess CV would have the resources to cope with that.

Footscray Edgewater is very unhappy at the prospect of a competitor. It will happen, it is just a matter of when. Heard a whisper that Cricket Victoria may be in discussion with Wyndham City Council to develop a cricket complex at Tarneit. Geographically, it is within easy reach of Melton as well as Werribee, Hoppers Xing and Point Cook so, maybe, there is something in it. A potential draw-back could well be a new club would have to start from scratch, but I guess CV would have the resources to cope with that.

Maybe put Tarneit cricket club in subbies ?? might be a bit of a push considering how young the club is

The question will be when not if Melton will play Premier cricket

Maybe put Tarneit cricket club in subbies ?? might be a bit of a push considering how young the club is

The question will be when not if Melton will play Premier cricket

What I thought I had adequately conveyed, freddie25, is that CV may have in mind establishing a strategically located facility for the establishment of a new Premier club, created by it, for the purpose of servicing the entire outer west rather than bringing Melton into Premier Cricket. By contrast, you are adamant Melton being admitted is a certainty. We shall just have to wait and see if you prediction is realised.

What I thought I had adequately conveyed, freddie25, is that CV may have in mind establishing a strategically located facility for the establishment of a new Premier club, created by it, for the purpose of servicing the entire outer west rather than bringing Melton into Premier Cricket. By contrast, you are adamant Melton being admitted is a certainty. We shall just have to wait and see if you prediction is realised.

I only make the point of Melton be a certainty because the romours of cv wanting more premier clubs and esp I'n growing areas,
If cv are looking for 2 new teams how can u go past Melton and plenty valley.

I don't see y u wouldnt just build a facility I'n Melton if they do play premier cricket, otherwise a place like caroline springs or derrimut - I'n between sunshine, altona, and werribee might be the go for establishing a facility

just saw on oakleighs twitter they have brendan mcguiness from prahan as playing coach. would help there struggling batting line-up so not a bad pick up. joe roberts from camberwell back there as well to add to a very handy bowling line up with pinwell, devlin, splatt, warren
pre season faves for mine in that group and cant wait to see melton v caulfield already.

just saw on oakleighs twitter they have brendan mcguiness from prahan as playing coach. would help there struggling batting line-up so not a bad pick up. joe roberts from camberwell back there as well to add to a very handy bowling line up with pinwell, devlin, splatt, warren
pre season faves for mine in that group and cant wait to see melton v caulfield already.
Solid pick up, mainly a 2's and 3's Premier player. Wouldn't have called Oakleigh's batting 'struggling'.

Solid pick up, mainly a 2's and 3's Premier player. Wouldn't have called Oakleigh's batting 'struggling'.
maybe not struggling but against caulfield they got found out both times plus the 20/20 semi final. still much better then a lot of clubs but to win a premiership it has to be rock solid

Mcguiness is a good bat and played about 60 games in the ones at Prahran so I'd rate him better than a 2nds & 3rds player.

Ormond have also picked up a few decent players. Dale Christie, Jayme Saleem and another who escapes me.

Mcguiness is a good bat and played about 60 games in the ones at Prahran so I'd rate him better than a 2nds & 3rds player.

Ormond have also picked up a few decent players. Dale Christie, Jayme Saleem and another who escapes me.

Rohan White is the other - all ex Hawthorn Monash. Fairly used to getting smashed every week. Should fit in well.

Rohan Wight played at Melbourne Uni also, mostly played seniors so should be a good addition to Ormond.

Has anyone else heard of other recruits??

congrats to the curator from Sunshine Cricket Club ,Dempster Park voted best playing deck for 2011/12 well done Jim boy
Thanks Dave. Interesting that the first and second ranking pitches, Sunshine and Yarraville respectively, are prepared by summer season only hobbyists as neither club enjoys municipal support in pitch preparation. What we hobbyists do is similar in concept to umpiring ---- it is simply a summer-season-only activity paying a few bob on the side. Yarraville's curator, Mark Scholes, does a mighty job in preparing high standard pitches as he is limited to curating outside the time he must give to his full-time job. We are both former cricketers who take on the job by choice. The heaviest thing I ever lifted in my full-time job was a pen!
Even Footscray Edgewater has to prepare its pitches and their curator still plies his trade as an electrician in the winter months for, of course, Footscray then have no need of him. This may give some of our toffy-nosed Easties an understanding as to what goes on out here when they lower themselves to come out West!!!

Rohan Wight played at Melbourne Uni also, mostly played seniors so should be a good addition to Ormond.

Has anyone else heard of other recruits??
Is White/Wight the same bloke who won Malvern's batting average last year?
Rohan O'Neill is back at Elsty after a year or 2 off.

Is White/Wight the same bloke who won Malvern's batting average last year?
Rohan O'Neill is back at Elsty after a year or 2 off.
Same spelling and he did play at Melb Uni until he went to Malvern. He and Hansen certainly make for improvement and their bowling should be sound.

The interesting question is the Malvern batting line up. Without Wight and Ranga getting on, Malvern's batting looks weaker.

Back