Subbies Thread

Not sure about a bloke who gets his giggles "potting" some one who has just suffered an horrific injury, who will miss 12 months of cricket, who will miss a large chunk of time off work and who faces a long painful rehab. other than to state that I think you're a moron.

Well, I guess, on reflection, I am pretty much sure about you.

And unlike Westland, I would like to see less of you on this forum and NOTHING would be perfect.

Not sure about a bloke who gets his giggles "potting" some one who has just suffered an horrific injury, who will miss 12 months of cricket, who will miss a large chunk of time off work and who faces a long painful rehab. other than to state that I think you're a moron.

And unlike Westland, I would like to see less of you on this forum and NOTHING would be perfect.

You may often be short but rarely are you wide !

Rumour has it not many grounds in the west will be ready for next week.

that would be disappointing - hopefully it is a 'report to grounds situation' and the clubs thaty do the work and put in the effort are rewarded with cricket this weekend. The grounds that aren't ready can have a one dayer the following week

On reflection, maybe I was too forgiving the main reason for my re-think being that once you have been shown up as acting deceptively anything further you post may be treated with suspicion. In a forum such as this, regaining credibility with the other members would be difficult as we seldom, if ever, meet face-to-face and, in many instances do not know the usernames in person. At least Will did own up when confronted with the facts, and that is a step in the right direction.

Rumour has it not many grounds in the west will be ready for next week.

Once again, the curators who are summer-season hobbyists out here in the west have their pitches ready for 5 October. I have never seen the pitch tables at Dempster Park and Lloyd Reserve look better at this time of year. They are a credit to Gray Barton(an Essendon player in his young days) and Neil (Ned) Kelly, the latter, now 80, being a Sunshine life member and named in its team-of-the century. Pres of Y'ville told me a couple of days ago that Melton's main table is out due to a major reno so Melton will be at the the Yarraville Oval on both Sat and Sun(2nds 0n Sun). Y'ville's pitch also made by an-after-hours hobbyist for, whilst the curator (Mark Scholes) is a full-time employee of the the local Council, it withdrew from pitch preparation in 2003. Mark won the Cricket Vic Pitch Award for his work at the Oval a couple of season's ago and came 2nd last season. He and I are in partnership in preparing the Yarraville Club C C's pitches and they too are now fit for play. If we can doit, why can't others? I have been told it is due many Council-employed curators taking time off over the Sept school term hols, but cannot offer an opinion as I have never worked for a Council. Can anyone throw light on this?

that would be disappointing - hopefully it is a 'report to grounds situation' and the clubs thaty do the work and put in the effort are rewarded with cricket this weekend. The grounds that aren't ready can have a one dayer the following week
Its a crazy form of the game is turf cricket, but we wouldn't have a bar of changing to synthetic pitches, would we?
I'm not a whiz on the comps match-play rules, but can adverse weather create a situation where sides that start this week could end up being disadvantaged vis a vis those that play a one-dayer the following week ?

Once again, the curators who are summer-season hobbyists out here in the west have their pitches ready for 5 October. I have never seen the pitch tables at Dempster Park and Lloyd Reserve look better at this time of year. They are a credit to Gray Barton(an Essendon player in his young days) and Neil (Ned) Kelly, the latter, now 80, being a Sunshine life member and named in its team-of-the century. Pres of Y'ville told me a couple of days ago that Melton's main table is out due to a major reno so Melton will be at the the Yarraville Oval on both Sat and Sun(2nds 0n Sun). Y'ville's pitch also made by an-after-hours hobbyist for, whilst the curator (Mark Scholes) is a full-time employee of the the local Council, it withdrew from pitch preparation in 2003. Mark won the Cricket Vic Pitch Award for his work at the Oval a couple of season's ago and came 2nd last season. He and I are in partnership in preparing the Yarraville Club C C's pitches and they too are now fit for play. If we can doit, why can't others? I have been told it is due many Council-employed curators taking time off over the Sept school term hols, but cannot offer an opinion as I have never worked for a Council. Can anyone throw light on this?
Over in the City of Kingston, the council don't prepare our pitches, it is all done by the club.

It is interesting that, up until last year, there was hardly ever a Saturday where the comp wasn't called off, we still had a centre wicket hit/game. The key I think is that the people who do the job for the 'Love of the Club' tend to put in more hours and do a better job than those who get paid for the pleasure.

That being said, Walter Galt is now a construction site, look forward to this time next year when we are looking to kick the season off on a great new ground.

Its a crazy form of the game is turf cricket, but we wouldn't have a bar of changing to synthetic pitches, would we?
I'm not a whiz on the comps match-play rules, but can adverse weather create a situation where sides that start this week could end up being disadvantaged vis a vis those that play a one-dayer the following week ?
I think the issue is if it's not 100%, you don't want to have to bat on a soft one. At least in a one dayer, conditions are reasonably even.

According to the umpires appointments it looks like only 3 grounds not ready to go.
Willy,Broady and Brighton are scheduled for one dayers Saturday week.
So presuming it will be report to grounds for everyone else.

According to the umpires appointments it looks like only 3 grounds not ready to go.
Willy,Broady and Brighton are scheduled for one dayers Saturday week.
So presuming it will be report to grounds for everyone else.
Would be nice if the appointments were on the website. Given the clubs get pinged for being a minute late re scores, would be nice to have the same!

Can confirm our 2's group is not right this week.

Over in the City of Kingston, the council don't prepare our pitches, it is all done by the club.

It is interesting that, up until last year, there was hardly ever a Saturday where the comp wasn't called off, we still had a centre wicket hit/game. The key I think is that the people who do the job for the 'Love of the Club' tend to put in more hours and do a better job than those who get paid for the pleasure.

That being said, Walter Galt is now a construction site, look forward to this time next year when we are looking to kick the season off on a great new ground.

I look forward to coming across to view your new facility next season; it will be an exciting time for your club and be a big lift in pride for you all. Just in case I have given the impression I don't get paid for my hobby, I do get a few bob out of it, which, on earlier posts, has had me claim it is similar in concept to umpiring at this level. But the umps get about as much turning up once per week for 5 hours, or so, as I get for many more hours. Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't do it if I did not enjoy it. As it is the case there are many clubs out here who prefer to pay outsiders, such as me, rather than ask members to voluntarily prepare their pitches, I have no qualms in accepting a modest fee for my work.

I look forward to coming across to view your new facility next season; it will be an exciting time for your club and be a big lift in pride for you all. Just in case I have given the impression I don't get paid for my hobby, I do get a few bob out of it, which, on earlier posts, has had me claim it is similar in concept to umpiring at this level. But the umps get about as much turning up once per week for 5 hours, or so, as I get for many more hours. Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't do it if I did not enjoy it. As it is the case there are many clubs out here who prefer to pay outsiders, such as me, rather than ask members to voluntarily prepare their pitches, I have no qualms in accepting a modest fee for my work.
It will certainly make the task of attracting players, I believe, a whole lot easier. We are also trying to get some turf training nets and if we can pull that off, will be a great coup.

I was probably comparing council professionals against volunteers and part timers. The later certainly seem to care more and work additional time if required.

YWL, is there any truth in what another curator told me this arvo, that Willi has been fined $1K by the subbies for not having their main oval's pitch fit for play week1? I am sceptical.

[
Was that Cheech or Chong that told you that Westy,either way it must have been great stuff he was smoking?

Thought so, PB. The combination of operating a walk-behind cricket pitch roller and smoking pot not a good career move I would suggest, so my informant may not be long able to continue spreading b... s... Could be a messy situation of a different kind!!! Looked up the Umpires' Appointments before posing my question, but same experience as SS.
Gutsy decision by the exec to get as many matches underway week 1 as pitches will allow.

Hats off to the association for making a great decision and to all the clubs that managed to get grounds prepared for todays play. I am not sure what the total numbers were but it is great that the day was played in perfect conditions and so many players managed to get a good day of cricket in.

Hats off to the association for making a great decision and to all the clubs that managed to get grounds prepared for todays play. I am not sure what the total numbers were but it is great that the day was played in perfect conditions and so many players managed to get a good day of cricket in.
Totally agree. If clubs put in the work to get a pitch up, let's play!

Back