the flight,loop ,dip.spin

the flight,loop ,dip.spin

Hi to all of you reading this thread.i am a leg spinner. I recently had viral fever.now its cured, but when i bowl, all the balls just go flat, full toss or short.
I am not getting the loop in the ball i used to. The ball on release would make a beautiful curve which i love and drop,struggling the batsman . But sice the last week , the ball just goes flat or fulltoss no loop in the ball. the batsman just comes and smashes the ball.I am bowling like i used but i dont know the problem.
is it due the fever?
I am bowling like i usually do but suddenly i am bowling bad balls

can any 1 give me tips on how to get back the rip,loop & fight in the ball.
and some more useful tips if possible.
also my coaches told me i have dont use the wrist a lot but i use the fingers, as a legspinner.but i have been bowling like this for a long time,i think.I used to get the loop before and the rip after the ball pitched. but now nothing
plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss help!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

Re: the flight,loop ,dip.spin

I reckon you've just lost some of your fitness/muscle because you've been ill. Give it a couple of weeks of easy bowling to get your strength back and you'll be okay. I think you've posted video on youtube and you're the bloke with the double skip when you bowl? If so do you bowl with the 41/2 ounce ball of the full size - full weight ball?

With regards using the wrist you need to be practicing flicking the ball from hand to hand all of the time - look at what you're doing and use the wrsit and the 3rd finger to impart the spin.

yes i am the one who bowls with 2 skips.I use a normal 5 1/2 ounce ball. To practice using my wrist should i flick the ball from hand like how they do for a flipper

one more problem in my country is that i am not getting a chance to prove myself.recently i had gone for the selections in district level,i bowled well but due corruption and politics i was not selected,i am not telling that i am a great deserving bowler but a chance to prove myself would b fair enough.neither do my coaches give me attention.it all depends on Luck with me:(:(:(

Legspin is my life;379702 said:
yes i am the one who bowls with 2 skips.I use a normal 5 1/2 ounce ball. To practice using my wrist should i flick the ball from hand like how they do for a flipper

one more problem in my country is that i am not getting a chance to prove myself.recently i had gone for the selections in district level,i bowled well but due corruption and politics i was not selected,i am not telling that i am a great deserving bowler but a chance to prove myself would b fair enough.neither do my coaches give me attention.it all depends on Luck with me:(:(:(

Unless they are legspinners themselves a lot of coaches steer clear of the legspinner because they dont really know much about it and tend to leave them to self coach.
A lot of people would say blaming politics and corruption is overstating it but maybe that is the best way to describe some of the selections that take place everywhere. you just have to keep knocking on the door whilst improving your bowling. I suppose there are lots of legspinners where you are as well. Around here you just have to shake a tree and a legspinner will fall out.

Legspin is my life;379702 said:

Stick in their mate - your young and you've got the chance to become good at this. Ignore the knock backs and politics if you love cricket and bowling you'll keep on doing it with your mates in the street, in your back yard or where-ever. But the key is if you love it you'll keep doing it and if you keep doing it and improving someone at some point will sit up and take notice. As Macca said if you're a leg-spinner most of the the time you're going to be going it alone anyway. Don't give up - keep spinning the ball and keep on bowling.

Legspin is my life;380286 said:
the fulltoss and flat balls still continue .
no loop :(:(
Do your full tosses have loop? To get loop you have to spin up out of the hand, perhaps you are releasing too late and too fast?
If you stand near a high wall and spin some balls at it you should be striking the wall fairly high up.
Like dave said you have got plenty of time to correct it. Once you get it you wont have a problem. Spin up.

yes i am releasing it late and pushing it with force to get the ball to loop but sadly a fulltoss.
MY coach said me when bowling, to get the ball to loop, with the release you have to pull your arm to the left thigh so that the ball is flighted but also given the loop due to pull of our arms
but my coach says to achieve the pull i push it harder getting fulltoss.
i also observe the rip after the pitching of the ball is gone there is less energy .

i want to learn to do the follow through properly as i heaqrd shane warne say that the follow through is the most important aspect for a (leg)spinner.:(:(:(

Legspin is my life;380452 said:
i want to learn to do the follow through properly as i heaqrd shane warne say that the follow through is the most important aspect for a (leg)spinner.:(:(:(

Warne did not have much of a follow through in his teens and it was after Bob Simpson started to coach him in his early twenties that he learnt the importance. Simpson placed taped markers 5 or 6 yards down the pitch and made Warne reach that far in his follow through. This made a huge improvement in his bowling and the spin he could generate.

You may have to work on releasing the ball earlier and slightly slower to get loop. Most young spinners either bowl too flat and short or loop way too much. You need someone who knows legspin side on to your bowling to guage your flight.

someblokecalleddave;380464 said:
I'll leave that one for you to answer Macca!

I will tell all I know, but I will take it over to wrist spin thread. He began at about 11-12 years old in the U/13 at the East Sandrigham club in Melbourne. His first coach was Ron Cantlon who showed him Legbreak, topspinner and wrongun. His first attempts were double bouncers and wide wides!

one thing that may help you I was told to think Up so instead ripping down on the ball as hard as you can try and spin the ball up...

hi guys i am gettin the loop but still there is slightly a lack of pace in my bowling.my frnds warn me that u need to have considerable pace so that the batsman doesent smash it using his power

Legspin is my life;382376 said:
hi guys i am gettin the loop but still there is slightly a lack of pace in my bowling.my frnds warn me that u need to have considerable pace so that the batsman doesent smash it using his power

i wouldnt really agree with that. you could bowl at 30mph, so long as the line and length were good (with good flight) it would be hard to play a shot off of. if the ball drifts and turns as well then that will cause problems! Shane Warne bowled at an average speed of around 48mph iirc, that isnt fast at all. an average club leg spinner probably bowls at more like 30-35mph.

the faster you try and bowl, the less flight youll give the ball, the less consistent youll be, and the less the ball will do off the pitch. id ignore your friends and focus on line and length instead of pace. then in a few months when youre bowling them out every other ball ask them if they still think you need to bowl faster. batsmen arent generally that good for bowling advice. ive been told all sorts of weird things by them on how i should improve my bowling. the other thing is that different batsmen have different playing styles. so what works against one wont work against another.

Well, I haven't seen you bowl, but it is possible that you may be giving it too much flight. If the batsmen can take a few steps down the pitch and turn the ball into a waist high full-toss then it is rather a problem. While looping it up really high can work against tail-enders and weaker batsmen, it is a recipe to smashed against good players of spin. Of course, this is not to say that you should bowl darts against good players of spin, far from it, you should still loop it up, but you need to be aware if you go too high, the batsmen will smash you around the park.

thanx to every 1 for the suggestions.
what i meant was i have line and length and after severe practice i got my loop back.
but before i lost the loop i used to bowl really well, the ball used to loop in the air beautifully and after pitching rip through.i was amazed at it
but then after a viral fever :( i lost touch and the loop and the rip and turn.
but after severe practice i improved
now i have the loop and try to bowl line & length more often.but i am worried abt the pace after my frnds mentioned it.recently i had a club match.
i bowled well the batsman couldnt decide wat to do and stood there while the ball used to spin away to the keeper even umpires were happy to see me bowl and gave me a few tips on how to improve my line length and flight.they told me to always toss the ball up.but my frnds told that good batsman would play it better as the speed is a little less
one more thing is that my coaches and frnds tell me to use my wrist rather than the fingers.they tell me i get good turn while spinning with my fingers but on using my wrist i would get greater turn and control with the flight
is it possible to bowl legspin with fingers
also could you tell me how to practice using my wrist

also can any 1 tell me how to calculate the speed of my bowling witout the use of the any devices

and with the help of speed = distance/time

here a link to my video bad quality though

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBO8qr9Vy5U

its tough to estimate speed from video, unless youve got slow motion side-on footage of the ball out of the hand. you dont bowl particularly slowly though, not slow enough that id be concerned about increasing your speed. just focus on spinning the ball hard whilst maintaining accuracy.

to include your wrist you just need to spin the ball between your hands as often as you get time to. and try to flick the wrist (its more of an anti-clockwise rotation) in conjunction with the fingers. to get big revs you need to use both the fingers and the wrist. id say the fingers probably do more than the wrist, so if you already use the fingers well then youre off to a good start.

if you do want to increase your pace then the first thing id look at is the fluidity of your run-up. the skips in the middle of it are of no benefit. they are just a habit. if you feel comfortable as you are then maybe dont change. but if you want to find more pace then thats probably the first area to look at.

Yeah we've got youngsters on our team that are only about 5' tall and they just spin the ball up really slow, one of the kids on our team who's only 13 virtually bowled a team out on his own bowling slow and loopy with a bit of spin. The same kid had figures last year of 5 wickets for 7. I think it was the same game.

Back