the flight,loop ,dip.spin

Re: the flight,loop ,dip.spin

well that's the same with my U16's team, we're practically built on legspinners (I'm the only offy) and the one guy that gets all the wickets has massive loop and it takes almost a year to get there and the batsmen just try and absolutley flog it and in the end he makes alot of them look stupid...

The Edge Of Willow;382395 said:
Well, I haven't seen you bowl, but it is possible that you may be giving it too much flight. If the batsmen can take a few steps down the pitch and turn the ball into a waist high full-toss then it is rather a problem. While looping it up really high can work against tail-enders and weaker batsmen, it is a recipe to smashed against good players of spin. Of course, this is not to say that you should bowl darts against good players of spin, far from it, you should still loop it up, but you need to be aware if you go too high, the batsmen will smash you around the park.

Yeah slow and loopy works against a lot of batsmen even top-order guys at some levels but it wont work against really good players of spin often. They will just dance down and smash you off your line in no time. Fortunately that is not a high percentage of batsmen that can do it properly and quickly enough and last.

Warne the tv commentator was telling the spinners in that last test to slow down from the 90plus kmh they were bowling to around 80-85 kmh. He reckoned as well as allowing more loop it also gives the batsman more time to think and therefore more time to mess with their minds.

macca;382662 said:
Yeah slow and loopy works against a lot of batsmen even top-order guys at some levels but it wont work against really good players of spin often. They will just dance down and smash you off your line in no time. Fortunately that is not a high percentage of batsmen that can do it properly and quickly enough and last.

Warne the tv commentator was telling the spinners in that last test to slow down from the 90plus kmh they were bowling to around 80-85 kmh. He reckoned as well as allowing more loop it also gives the batsman more time to think and therefore more time to mess with their minds.

That particular kid played in a game where me and two other adult spinners 1 offie and 2 leggies got smashed all over the park, the bloke had reached 100 and looked invincible seeing off everyone. The kid pitched the ball up at what looked like about 30mph swung the bat in the way had been all game and it wasn't there to hit and wasn't due to be there for quite some time at the speed he bowled it at, needless to say the ball hit the stumps!!

someblokecalleddave;382664 said:
That particular kid played in a game where me and two other adult spinners 1 offie and 2 leggies got smashed all over the park, the bloke had reached 100 and looked invincible seeing off everyone. The kid pitched the ball up at what looked like about 30mph swung the bat in the way had been all game and it wasn't there to hit and wasn't due to be there for quite some time at the speed he bowled it at, needless to say the ball hit the stumps!!

That shows the value of varying pace to a batsman well set. Maybe you would have had his scalp yourself if you had tried some slower stuff ?

hi could any one of u tell me how to calculate the speed of my bowling without using any device
also i am frustrated by the fact that i dont bowl consistently
its like i practice for 2 days and i bowl well but after i dont practice for even a day i lose touch and bowl badly and i have to start practising again to get my form back

so is there any way to improve my consistency
i know legspin is not easy to bowl but why do i bowl good some days and badly on other days.why cant i just bowl good why cant i be stable

Legspin is my life;382703 said:
hi could any one of u tell me how to calculate the speed of my bowling without using any device
its like i practice for 2 days and i bowl well but after i dont practice for even a day i lose touch and bowl badly and i have to start practising again to get my form back

i know legspin is not easy to bowl but why do i bowl good some days and badly on other days.why cant i just bowl good why cant i be stable

I thnk all of us are like you. Consider yourself lucky that you have more good days than bad ones. Many would suggest you warm up in the nets before a game. In practice, wheen things are not going well, I start by bowling under arm, so that my eyes see what I have to do with my hands. I then bowl over a shorter distance and notice how the seam is coming out. I then bowl over a full distance, spin it less and just try to get into a rhythm, eventually I start trying to spin it more. If I have a really bad day, I really pack everything up and leave.

As regards speed, I would not get to obsessed. If your are lucky to have decent accuracy with line and length, go with that and try to vary flight landing it in that metre square. I once used a hoola hoop on a good length., and found it very difficult to land in, which means I am quite crap. As regards measuring speed Jim is our engineering aspect and he may set up a high tech contraption for you. But remember philpott says that all leggies have their intrinsic speed of bowling, some are fast others are slower through the air. I think unless you are playing against top grade batters you should not worry too much.Flighting the ball to defensive batters and tail enders will give you wickets, but have a faster ball for those who use their feet as I am sure many indians do. You are young, you have the passion and talent so all you need is hours of practice and experimentation. Enjoy it, leg spin bowling is very difficult but is a science and an art, love it and it will pay you back in time I am sure.

i think the key to day-to-day consistency (and consistency in general) is that you are able to reproduce the same action every time. this doesnt just apply to amateurs either.

as an example, ive watched both of the England vs SA test matches so far, and Stuart Broad has bowled some excellent spells for England. however he has also bowled some extremely poor ones. the same applies to him through his whole career so far, and because hes a very young bowler by international standards i think his consistency is particularly at fault.

what happens is he starts his bowling spell, and settles into a rhythm, the same as any other bowler. if hes having a good spell, and everything is working for him, then he bowls like he did in 2 innings against Australia in the summer, and against SA over the last 2 days of the test. he bowls a line and length that hits the top of off stump, and this accounted for clean bowling Jacques Kallis, and an excellent LBW (that would have been clean bowled) of AB deVilliers, who both left the ball!!! it was amazing bowling.

the commentators made the excellent point that when Broad finds his rhythm, hes as good as anyone on the planet. but more often than not he doesnt find that rhythm, and his hawkeye pitch analysis looks like a blind 5 year old got hold of a paintball gun.

so to get back to the point - rhythm is absolutely crucial. if you can reproduce the same action more often than not then your bowling will be of a higher and more consistent standard. likewise, you need to find that rhythm as quickly as possible in order that you can hit top form within a few minutes of practice. personally i find perfect rhythm only after frequent practice over several weeks, and even then it can take me hours to find my rhythm in any one session. you sound like youre really not too bad for consistency from what youve said!

the solution i think is to focus very hard on what you do, and to have a very specific mental preparation. e.g. associate parts of your action with a thought in your head, or a specific movement (like a batsmans trigger movement). count the steps in your runup in a rhythmic fashion, try to position every part of your body in the same way every time, focus on your point of delivery and keep your head as still as possible, follow through the same after each delivery, etc, etc.

if that means placing markers on the ground for every step you take then so be it. do whatever it takes to try and find consistency. once you find it and have drilled it into your head then the visual and audible aids wont be so necessary, the muscles will just know what to do. but that could take years, il bet some cricketers never even reach this stage!!

Legspin is my life;382703 said:

Without a device the best way to calculate your speed is an estimation by an experienced coach. a lot of players would be able to give you a rough idea from side-on.

The only sure way to become more consistent that I know works for some people at least, is to have long periods in your development where you bowl over 22 yards every single day. Of course you cant bowl 365 days in a row and in fact you need breaks from time to time but even as little 30 minutes fully focused training every day is better than longer but less frequent sessions in my opinion.

You have to have the repeatable action that jim wrote about. You must settle on an a basic action at some stage and be able to bowl with your eyes closed and still land it on good length in the middle of the pitch. You need to be patient though because it takes a few years to reach that stage. But anyone can if they have the dedication.

After a few years, depending on the individual, if you miss practise for one day you wont notice and neither will anyone else, if you miss for a week you might notice but no-one else will, but if you miss for a few weeks you will notice and so will the opposing batsmen and your captain.

there is actually quite an easy way to figure out your bowling speed. but its trickier (and less accurate) without slow motion. but its worth a try anyway.

firstly, you need some way to hold the camera completely still, a shaky picture wont work. bowl in the end net (so you can position the camera where you need it) and put a marker of some kind an exact distance from the bowling crease (6 yards would work well). it could just be a cone, or a colourful piece of rope hung on the nets, anything that is easily visible on camera.

you then need to record the bowling with the camera positioned so that it captures the ball from leaving your hand until it goes past the marker (it doesnt need to see the run up or the rest of the delivery). this will allow you to get a closer, higher quality picture so its easier to figure out the speed.

then you just open it in a suitable video player on your computer and freeze frame it, then count how many frames the ball takes to travel the distance, and you can derive speed from it. if you can get the video then il do the rest if you need.

from your youtube video its impossible to tell accurately, but your bowling is somewhere between 25-40mph. but i cant see the ball go past the stumps so its impossible to know for sure.

you can actually buy a speed testing cricket ball which is the easiest way possible. its made for baseball, but a company in Australia sells it for cricket as well. its called the "Platypus Speedball", but i have no idea where sells it apart from the company that makes it. you can probably mail order it from Australia though INTRODUCING THE INTELLIGENT BALL

Jim2109;382739 said:
you can actually buy a speed testing cricket ball which is the easiest way possible. its made for baseball, but a company in Australia sells it for cricket as well. its called the "Platypus Speedball", but i have no idea where sells it apart from the company that makes it. you can probably mail order it from Australia though INTRODUCING THE INTELLIGENT BALL

I will have to get one of those from kingsgrove Cricket - Balls - Speed Sensor - Platypus - Platypus Speed Sensor - Kingsgrove Sports Centre - Cricket Store and check it out. The kids at training will love that one, wonder how long it will last on concrete, maybe just use it on the local turf wicket.

macca;382741 said:
I will have to get one of those from kingsgrove Cricket - Balls - Speed Sensor - Platypus - Platypus Speed Sensor - Kingsgrove Sports Centre - Cricket Store and check it out. The kids at training will love that one, wonder how long it will last on concrete, maybe just use it on the local turf wicket.

apparently its setup so that it just times itself from the release out of the hand until it hits something, then calculates the speed based on a preset distance and time (i think you can change the distance).

so the best way to use it would be to set the distance to about 6 yards and bowl it at a brick wall! the ball is going to lose speed through the air, so its better to get the reading over a short initial distance to compare to the radar measurements that professional bowlers are assessed by. radar measures the ball very early in the flight just after it leaves the hand. if it cant go that short then just set it as short as possible, measure out the distance from a wall and do it that way. apparently if they bounce more than once it can screw the readings up, so youll want someone there catching it (or something soft at the base of the wall!).

let us know how you get on with it macca if you get one. im tempted myself, but my camera setup is ultimately more accurate, and i already own it, so no extra expense.

Jim2109;382742 said:
apparently its setup so that it just times itself from the release out of the hand until it hits something, then calculates the speed based on a preset distance and time (i think you can change the distance).

so the best way to use it would be to set the distance to about 6 yards and bowl it at a brick wall! the ball is going to lose speed through the air, so its better to get the reading over a short initial distance to compare to the radar measurements that professional bowlers are assessed by. radar measures the ball very early in the flight just after it leaves the hand. if it cant go that short then just set it as short as possible, measure out the distance from a wall and do it that way. apparently if they bounce more than once it can screw the readings up, so youll want someone there catching it (or something soft at the base of the wall!).

let us know how you get on with it macca if you get one. im tempted myself, but my camera setup is ultimately more accurate, and i already own it, so no extra expense.

Thanks for the information on that, i will definately get one because it will get my son and his mates going for a while, you need to add things like that to keep up the interest with this lot. Could be a handy gadget for them to muck around with as well. They tried using the radar gun out of a slot car set once, didn't work really but they all tried bowling flat out and ended up spraying the ball everywhere anyway but they had a lot of laughs.

hi to all bigcricket members ihere i hav uploaded another video of my bowling where it has gone horribly wrong
as u will see i cannot pitch the ball in one place not even one ball is proper
even if i do bowl properly its a googly
i hate to say this but i think i have got the googly syndrome again
also in my previous video titled "me bowling legspin pt 2"
YouTube - me bowling legspin pt 2

my action was different than it is in this video
i liked my previous action now i think i have lost it Plss help
my coach told me i worry a lot thats the reason i hav spoilt my bowling and the action
here are links to the new videos
YouTube - me bowling legspin 4

YouTube - legspin bowling 3.wmv

Back