The Lounge 2

Well, Spain did it and just beat England. The winning goal was sublime.I picked England to win but in hindsight, Spain deserved their win.
And all that noise about a stolen kiss on the lips. 😮
Agreed that was wrong and stupid, and sadly a distraction of the big story. Spain won, England 2nd, Sweden 3rd and Australia 4th!

I thoroughly enjoyed the series. 😊
Yeah it's the taking part that counts 🤗

I'm happy to be called a Pom even given my £10 fare to Utopia.
More accurately I'm an Anglo Irish Aussie. I love my sun burnt country that's dirt by sea.

I'm concerned what our Summer will be like this year in Australia. Given the extreme heat waves in northern climes, and us predicted to have a warm Spring, doesn't bode well for my little corner in Australia.
Again it seems the worst affected will the southern and eastern states where I have family.
Our poor too are being squeezed unfairly by the Inflation monster (some say by price gouging by big businesses...)

I'm still amazed some folk still think GW is not human induced.
I avoid such debates. Just "Not" worth the effort to be honest.

Their minds are set in concrete.

Again it seems the worst affected will the southern and eastern states where I have family.
Terry the Western Seaboard wont escape these burning temps as WA will be hit by the Indian Ocean Dipole event while we on the Eastern Seaboard will have the El Nino event to tend with. Of course GW is human induced.

This is amazing, game changing for the human race if it comes to fruition. You can be proud of your scientists Thomas.

I read about this a while ago while searching for the causes of diseases and when it was less certain and still more speculative: " the process of transcription gets faster as we age, and this accelerated transcription causes Pol II to make more mistakes, leading to essentially “bad” copies that can lead to numerous diseases. "
It would be a whopper if they could substantiate their findings and used them for both making people live longer and eradicating diseases.

It would be a whopper if they could substantiate their findings and used them for both making people live longer and eradicating diseases.
Certainly would, as I said a human race game changer. Of course for every upside there is usually a downside. With people living longer due to the this exciting development plus even longer after major disease is eliminated, how do we feed all these extra people that normally would have decreased the world population?

Terry the Western Seaboard wont escape these burning temps as WA will be hit by the Indian Ocean Dipole event while we on the Eastern Seaboard will have the El Nino event to tend with. Of course GW is human induced.

I'm dreading the intense heat this coming Summer might dish up to Western Australia. Bush fires will be awful with all the extra growth from all the heavy rains we've had.

Too right that GW is human induced but some think otherwise, thinking they know more than Scientists. Trump once said GW was all a Chinese con job. He even suggested injecting disinfectant would kill off Covid. A self proclaimed genius. God help the world if he gets back in.

He is facing charge after charge and if not convicted he can still run for President. :eek:

A little slip there Craig. Their US laws are so wacky and dated I heard it often said he could be President even "if jailed"? Something like that. Trump boasted that too.
Looney indeed but once President he could pardon himself. That is so wrong morally, yet possible legally.
I read he can't pardon himself for his attempted electoral fraud in Georgia ( ..twelve thousand votes please... all recorded) as that's a state crime and not a federal one,... something like that.

Lock him up! "Please."

The World can't afford such Lunacy from the US, still a leading world power going belly up if led by a Chief Republican Narcissist Loon!
It pains me to say Biden is too long in the tooth and Harris a bit green and toothless too. I hear Obama could run again? Please do.
On the bright side even more charges are coming Trump's way.
So many I lose track. Great to see him pay for his sordid past. He is a vile creature with not a shred of decency.

It'd be a cleansing if Mike Pence took the reins of state were the Republicans to win in 2024. I doubt it, his numbers are sadly lame.
That's later next year, a time of reckoning for sure.

Australia's dreadful leadership by Morrison is likewise a stain upon our nation. Squeaky populists do seem to get the oil.

ftfbjyg.jpg

That's Barnaby agape at the sight of Moronson's lump of clean coal,

As for our ageing bodies and minds, Another 10% to 20% bonus of life expectancy without disease does sound attractive even if a bit late for the likes of me. A greater fear for me is that of dementia. My old father had it in spades and Death was a release for him; he had a do not resuscitate order.

Isn't one life enough, I hear call.
I'd like to come back as a Bumble Bee. One sting only.

Always loving Sci Fi Opera reads one futuristic human colony had all the techs and medicines to expand human life spans to about 500 plus Earth years. Boredom, lack of meaning, relevance, ... saw many long lifers take on risky and riskier life styles and challenges...

A good story but future prognostications are usually wobbly at best.
Alistar Reynolds.

I once watched a great tongue in cheek movie satirizing that idea, given to me by a brother. A legit copy with Jude Law starring but I'd lent it to someone I can't quite emember.
I suspect my Librarian sister. She's a Book thief! ... so am I ...🥴

Last edited:
A little slip there Craig. Their US laws are so wacky and dated I heard it often said he could be President even "if jailed"? Something like that. Trump boasted that too.
Looney indeed but once President he could pardon himself. That is so wrong morally, yet possible legally.
I read he can't pardon himself for his attempted electoral fraud in Georgia ( ..twelve thousand votes please... all recorded) as that's a state crime and not a federal one,... something like that.

According to what I read the jury is still out on all those questions because it's all without precedence. Sooner or later it might end up in a veritable constitutional crisis characterised by a power struggle between judiciary and executive with a final ruling to be given by the supreme court hopefully without having sparked off a civil war.

Last edited:
Certainly would, as I said a human race game changer. Of course for every upside there is usually a downside. With people living longer due to the this exciting development plus even longer after major disease is eliminated, how do we feed all these extra people that normally would have decreased the world population?
I'm not talking to some Malthusians here by any chance? ☺Seriously, as to life expectancy I didn't want to say that humans should necessarily live much longer but my focus was on the quality of life until dying a natural death. There are lots of diseases that afflict humans way too early in a person's life due a bad copy of cells, making their life miserable without necessarily killing the person affected but incurring costs for both the individual and society.

So what will you doing on 14 Oct? Do you think that a change of the Constitution will be possible? I thought the referendum would be about the status of a republic but that was premature.

Back