The Lounge 2

A good human interest story.

"If he told Hitler he was Indigenous, he probably wouldn't have made it out of Germany."
Probably or probably not. Unfortunately, Rhodes doesn't give a single reason for his statement which makes it pure speculation.
Dictators often have a mind of their own and make decisions that do not conform with the usual practice or their convictions. (See Putin's treatment of Prigozhin)
It is known that Hitler made several exceptions out of a personal feeling ,e.g., he issued an order that his Jewish company commander in WWI was, at least temporarily, not to be touched. Another example was the Jewish doctor of his mother in Linz. Even though Hitler modified those orders later, the remaining parts of his protection helped those people survive. It is questionable if someone who also had a foreign passport was so important that Hitler would have personally persecuted him . The year they were meeting, in 1936, was also the year of the Olympics in which Hitler wanted to make the public believe that he wasn't a threat to Europe. The next stage in the process of radicalisation only began two a years later when Jewish shops and synagogues were raided and burnt down .

Last edited:
I have noticed Thomas and have watched both games so far.
Austrailia will struggle without Samantha Kerr, its Captain and Star player.
Oh, you've even watched them. :thumbsu: I don't know yet when matches will be broadcast given the time difference. I guess live broadcasts will be during the night or in the morning which means that most people can't watch them and will have to watch replays if they're offered. Good start of the Aussie team. :thumbsu:

The Aussies are now top of their group Thomas but the Aussie Captain and superstar Sam Kerr will miss the next game as well due to injury.
I'm a bit disappointed only discovering today that matches involving New Zealand and Australia are the only ones put on free to air.
Optus I heard, do the streaming of the other matches. $$$$ as usual.

Sorry to hear of your root canal work. Pain, Time and Money but it best be done.
A typical cost here in Australia for a multi root canal and crown would be about Au$3,000. That's a big cost and know many folk just opt for an extraction at a tenth the cost.
I'm lucky in that I have an old fashioned Dentist who does tough fillings rather than crowns. He did that for me a few years ago, after a root canal, and I have had no issues.

I'm a bit disappointed only discovering today that matches involving New Zealand and Australia are the only ones put on free to air.
Optus I heard, do the streaming of the other matches. $$$$ as usual.
Same here. Just read that our public broadcasters were haggling over fees with FIFA and almost refused to broadcast the event at all. I'm not sure if people are ready to pay extra for watching them. As in the men's world cup, interest will rise the more successful the teams are.

GO the Matildas. Thomas why not start a thread mate.
I'd surprise myself if I did that considering the long way it would be from not being interested in football at all for decades to starting a thread on women's football.🙃 No, I just thought what a coincidence it is that the tournament is taking place down under and how weird if it blows over totally unnoticed. I can't promise anything anyway since I'm not sure to what extent I'm gonna watch it.
I noticed, though, that the stadiums were well-attended and I was reminded that it must be winter down there because people wear warm clothes. 🤗

Anyway...Learnt today that our team is based in Wyong in a somewhat remote camp and is lucky because it won't have to travel too far, always staying on the coastline between Melbourne and Brisbane and not having to go to NZ. None of them had ever been to AUS before and all are enjoying the scenery including a first outing to Sydney. In Wyong there's also a men's football club, the Emus, that will go to Sydney on the 30th to watch the match between Germany and Colombia. When asked by German TV which team they'll be rooting for, one guy said: for Colombia. 😊

I was thinking of you living in southern sunny AUS when I was trying to inform myself about solar modules for balconies and the like. Not surprisingly and contrary to what is claimed in adverts, installing those mini power-generating devices can not be done by anybody but demands certain technical requirements that I can't meet. I'd need a smart meter, a circuit of its own for the moduls (although they promised it only needed to be plugged in) , and the consent of the other owners.
I wondered if you have some solar panels installed and, if not, what has prevented you from doing so?

This is for the proud Aussies that frequent this thread. No doubt you all know that the annual Operation Talisman Sabre war games are about to start here in various parts of our great land, so our strongest ally the Yanks are here along with Germany for the first time (Thomas) and some 12 other nations.
1690146222036.png 1690146398685.png
This unique looking US battleship sailing into the Harbor City recently loaded with US troops has a proud Australian story to tell. It is the first US Navy craft to be designed and built by another nation in its 200 plus yr history, also first to be named after a non US state or military figure as this is the USS Canberra built by Aussie company AUSTAL and named in honor of the Aussie battle cruiser of the same name sunk in WW2 defending US troops at the Battle of Quadalcanal.

1690146638234.png
At the christening celebrations.

Last edited:
I was thinking of you living in southern sunny AUS when I was trying to inform myself about solar modules for balconies and the like. Not surprisingly and contrary to what is claimed in adverts, installing those mini power-generating devices can not be done by anybody but demands certain technical requirements that I can't meet. I'd need a smart meter, a circuit of its own for the moduls (although they promised it only needed to be plugged in) , and the consent of the other owners.
I wondered if you have some solar panels installed and, if not, what has prevented you from doing so?
Cost. Hoping my son will buy some for us one day soon when he begins making the big bucks, perhaps as an anniversary present.

Cost. Hoping my son will buy some for us one day soon when he begins making the big bucks, perhaps as an anniversary present.
It would amount to AUD1,600 over here which I'd be willing to pay but technical problems and a bit of red tape won't let me.

Interesting. Hadn't heard of that. Now learnt that 170 paras and 40 marines are being deployed as part of the US 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and the Expeditionary Strike Group Seven (ESG7) based in Japan. :thumbsu:
Attached to the Yanks eh. In all 30K military personnel will take part.
Already the RED Chinese are spying on proceedings. That is an Aussie surveillance plane tracking the spy ship.
1690259458469.png

Last edited:
Back