The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

Re: The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

A guy at my club had the same thing happen to him and he was back playing after 2 weeks so hopefully it won't affect you too much mas. Hope it sorts itself out soon.

Stupidly, I've agreed to play this evening for the BBC as they are short. The toe isn't that bad, the biggest problem seemed to be the swelling, which has gone down a far bit now. Just left with the bruising.

As long as it's strapped up, I can't see it being a major problem. It's certainly no worse than playing football with 2 broken fingers (I'm a keeper), which I've done on numerous occasions.

The television company! Well, it's the BBC Orchestra, world famous by all accounts!

Shame really, I was hoping for the cast of Dr.Who.

I sometimes play for RTE over here, who are our equivalent of the BBC. There's often talk of trying to organise a inter-national-broadcasters match, but given that there would be some fairly classy ex-internationals qualified to play for the beeb it's likely we'd get our internal organs handed to us ... metaphorically :blink:

Enjoyable game in the end. 20 overs, with which the BBC managed to post 131 (I scored a quick 22, including my first 6 of the year), the other team got them for 6 or 7 wickets. Managed to bowl 4 overs, 2 for 7, so not bad.

Nice allround performance, mas!! Do you guys have to retire at '24 + a scoring shot' like we do up here??

Never captain a team - the only thing you'll end up with is a headache!

Added 12 hour(s), 50 minute(s) and 16 second(s) later...

A long old day, not made any easier by having to swap and change my team a fair few times and still almost ending up with less than 11. Thankfully managed to grab a couple of last minute replacements and got the full 11.

Forgot how difficult captaincy can be, but then again, it can be made a lot easier than it was today.

I ran myself out in the worst way possible this evening. Went for a single, but instead of running I ambled down the wicket, the keeper missed the throw which went on to hit the non-strikers end, which I was slowly jogging to - embarrassing or what!

Stupid more like, I should have made my ground up really. Always push hard for the first run and all that.

Lol, that's a good point actually. I'll tell them I was showing them how not to do it!

:D It reminds me of any incident in Mumbai.
Sanjay Manjrekar's (Ex-India Batsmen) Coach was teaching them the front foot drive and in doing so got bowled out:eek:.
All the boys were stunned.
But he turned around and said"This will happen if u don't play it properly".

Long hot weekend, something maybe interesting tomorrow to blog about.

Added 23 hour(s), 12 minute(s) and 42 second(s) later...

Will keep this one brief as I'm frazzled at the moment.

Played on Saturday - short boundary, dry outfield, 10 players and blazing sunshine. Yes, you guessed it we lost the toss and had to field during the hottest part of the day. Opposition racked up 290 (mainly thanks to dropped catches lack lustre fielding). I either bowled 10 overs, 0 for 23 or 10 overs 0 for 40 (I didn't check as my temper was at boiling point due to the crap effort in the field, I put in 110%, so others should at least try).

We then got rolled for 80, I scored 20 before taking a ball full on my knackered ankle and not really being able to carry on. Top score was made by a 13 year old, who made a nice 25. Extras scored about 20, so it puts the rest of the teams batting into perspective. Overall, I'm far from happy but what can you do.

Sunday saw a 4 team, 'cricket max' type tournament. Basically 8 overs (8 ball) per side to slog as many as possible. Restricted run ups and very tight on wides (each one costing 4 runs, no extra ball). Managed to lose all 3 group games, but we ran each side close and think we mainly lost them due to inexperience. Personally, I bowled rubbish (stiff from Saturday, I don't traditionally do well off shortened run up plus a little hungover) but scored 50 runs over the 3 games (including a 2nd ball duck in one!).

Then onto today's game, which was a memorial game which is played every year (my ex club vs a local team). Only got drafted in at the last minute but was glad to be able to turn out as they tend to bring in one or two county players. This year was no exception as Steve James (played for the club in his younger days) and Mike Powell turned out. Powell didn't get a bat but it was good to see James bat for a little while and how easy he makes it all look. We eventually finished on 244 for 3 declared (time game).

Game was eventually washed out after a thunderstorm drenched the pitch, no bad thing as it was getting increasingly muggy and uncomfortable. Not much to report on this one as my sole contribution was a slight misfield during the 3 or 4 overs we were out there for.

As for the rest of the week, I have the option of a game for the BBC tomorrow (Tuesday) which I'll probably turn down as my ankle needs a rest but will more than likely play on Wednesday in another all day game.

Sounds like you play a lot and for lots of different teams!!

I really don't see the point in restricted run ups, it's not like a couple of extra paces makes that much difference and it can really upset a bowler's rhythm. My run up is 11 walking paces and the midweek limit is 10m so I just about get away with it but other guys can get really messed up when asked to bowl off a shortened run.

Back