Videos and Links

We should have a list of good books in here as well as the usual internet based stuff. I'm just reading my 'Twirlymen' (Amol Rajan) now and it's shaping up to be a good read. I've spotted a couple of contentious points though, albeit minor, but generally it's looking very good and I'll definitely be quoting it in my blogs in the future. There's some brilliantly simple descriptions of the releases, I've only got to the Leg Break so far and it is spot on. A definite book to have I reckon.

I hadn't seen those, found one tip very useful - primarily using thumb and middle finger to get the flipper action. Time spent listening to Shane Warne talk about bowling is never wasted...

isn't it amazing how much further Warnie turns it than these two, I swear I can rip it further than they do as well! They don't seem to be able to attack the right hander from that angle. what is it they are doing differently? their actions look alright. is it seam position? the quirks of leg spin eh! I've been going through a torrid time with my action of late, lost my turn, felt uncomfortable bowling, really struggling. then i rewatched the terry jenner video (my first ever tutorial in leg spin way back in 2006) and cut my run up down to nothing, did the standing start drill, back to basics, and suddenly my bowling is back to being as good as its ever been. truly he was the spin doctor, RIP TJ.

isn't it amazing how much further Warnie turns it than these two, I swear I can rip it further than they do as well! They don't seem to be able to attack the right hander from that angle. what is it they are doing differently? their actions look alright. is it seam position? the quirks of leg spin eh! I've been going through a torrid time with my action of late, lost my turn, felt uncomfortable bowling, really struggling. then i rewatched the terry jenner video (my first ever tutorial in leg spin way back in 2006) and cut my run up down to nothing, did the standing start drill, back to basics, and suddenly my bowling is back to being as good as its ever been. truly he was the spin doctor, RIP TJ.
I can rip it further than those two, but it doesn't mean I spin it more than them. They probably just bowl a lot faster. The amazing thing about Warne is he can spin the ball to such epic levels that even at 50+ mph they turn huge.

Film your Tv maybe?

Yeah even if it's a bit ropey it'll be better than nothing. But, make sure you stick the camera on a tripod or a cahir or something - don't hand hold it otherwise you're going to turn something that is almost guaranteed to be pretty poor (But better than nothing) into something that is useless if it's hand held.

Ah the stand-start drill - what a brilliant piece of coaching. Do you have the ECB Terry Jenner version of it or have you seen it? It's as rare as Rocking horse pooh - only available to coaches generally? If not see if you can borrow it off one of your coaches.

I can rip it further than those two, but it doesn't mean I spin it more than them. They probably just bowl a lot faster. The amazing thing about Warne is he can spin the ball to such epic levels that even at 50+ mph they turn huge.

It makes you realise that Warne is very very special, I'm reading Twrirly Men at the minute - up to page 150 and Warne's hardly mentioned yet, but the development of the art in all it's different stages is very well recorded with key exponents of very specific advances in the art being expliciltly explained and you can just sense that the book is going to end with Warne and the fact that he does almost what everyone else has done in the past but just so much better.

Here's a good youtube channel with some really good spin tutorials and training drills on, I'm still looking through them now, but the ones I've seen are top notch so far.

Here's an interesting article on three Indian Leg spinners. http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/517111.html

Some interesting points there. I liked one of the last comments from the public "Why are you telling the rest of the world how to play our bowlers - do you want us to lose"? Or something like that. In the meantime have a look at Warnie here, bowling off of 1 step and the ease at which he gets the ball to dip and turn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIi-Hhw_ETg&feature=related

Some interesting points there. I liked one of the last comments from the public "Why are you telling the rest of the world how to play our bowlers - do you want us to lose"? Or something like that. In the meantime have a look at Warnie here, bowling off of 1 step and the ease at which he gets the ball to dip and turn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIi-Hhw_ETg&feature=related

It almost makes you sick how easy he makes it look, there's a fair bit of pace on those deliveries as well! its certainly not slow.

Back