Videos and Links

this vid has a really good flying saucer delivery at about 5 mins in

It's also just a good vid to study as he really goes through the loop, it's like he's just enjoying messing with the batsmen.

It's a shame that the quality is so poor that you can't really see what's going on. From what I could see this was hardly spinning at all (The flying saucer).

It's a shame that the quality is so poor that you can't really see what's going on. From what I could see this was hardly spinning at all (The flying saucer).

You're right there. I'm actually in two minds as to whether it's a flying sauces or a straight seam slider. Watching poor quality vids on a phone is a far cry from HD super slow motion.

You're right there. I'm actually in two minds as to whether it's a flying sauces or a straight seam slider. Watching poor quality vids on a phone is a far cry from HD super slow motion.

I've looked into straight balls before and there's a thread here somewhere (Orthodox back-spinner) where I dug up descriptions by one of Warnes coaches where they described a delivery that was bowled out of the front of the hand with virtually no spin and this may be the ball.

I've looked into straight balls before and there's a thread here somewhere (Orthodox back-spinner) where I dug up descriptions by one of Warnes coaches where they described a delivery that was bowled out of the front of the hand with virtually no spin and this may be the ball.

I'm pretty sure that ball was this ball.

I have a scrambled seam slider that I bowl very much like the one in this vid. it's a nice delivery to have due to the fact that what it does off the pitch can depend on a bit natural variation and sometimes a bit of luck. I've never batted against someone who has one so I couldn't say how difficult it is to face. when it has been successful for me batsmen have tried to pull it but it's skidded on and they've been bowled or given out LBW.

I have a scrambled seam slider that I bowl very much like the one in this vid. it's a nice delivery to have due to the fact that what it does off the pitch can depend on a bit natural variation and sometimes a bit of luck. I've never batted against someone who has one so I couldn't say how difficult it is to face. when it has been successful for me batsmen have tried to pull it but it's skidded on and they've been bowled or given out LBW.

I thought it looked like a slider too. I probably get about half my wickets with the finger-spinner's version.
I think quite often in books authors and coaches use the term "no spin" to mean "no side spin" - ie only backspin. Its rather sloppy usage, but its quite common, and they probably don't imagine that their every word will be pored over and dissected quite to the extent they are, otherwise they might be a bit more clear about what they mean (or maybe they wouldn't?!)

Its the same delivery he described as a slider in his King of Spin Leg spin tutorial video. It is extremely effective if your stock delivery is a big legbreak(pure sidespin).

I love the action sequence you posted funk192. I tried to do something like that off of Youtube video and posted on the other thread. It is a great learning tool rather than seeing video footage. BTW where does one find this "Spin King DVD" :)

interesting vid of warne "sliders" in ashes 05

Fascinating stuff. As they say, the most dangerous deliveries are the ones that don't do what the bowler intended.

The second time he got Belly lbw later in the series, now that was a genuine slider I do believe.

Interesting point that Tony Greig makes about the timing of both the wrist and the fingers to produce differing levels of spin. Most of the time these commentators are making this up as they go along and then Warnie just goes along with the confusion as we see at the end. You have to remember they have to justify their jobs if they sat there not making any comments saying 'Erm that looked like it didn't spin - should it have spun'? They'd soon be out of a job. Warne says Slider and Zooter in his run up to the Ashes when he's saying he's now got 9 deliveries and the commentators follow suit. They haven't got a clue as to what they're looking at and they just put the name to the delivery. The big question for me is 'What is a Slider and who invented it'? Is this ball out of the front of the hand with virtually no spin a real delivery or is it a Leg Break gone wrong. If its real where is it in the coaching manuals and demo videos?

Hello, hello, whats this:

anyone else posted this yet??? Hilarious clip at the beginning of Athers bowling a truly horrendous delivery! In the 2006/07 Wisden he wrote an impassioned editorial on Shane Warne after he'd announced his retirement, probably one of the best things I've read on leg spin about how Warnie is the culmination of a 100 years of leg spin in Australia, made up from the all the best parts of the greatest exponents of the art. Shame he couldn't bowl it as well as he can write about it! Mostly the same old stuff we've all heard before from Richie before but nothing wrong with hearing it all again!

Hello, hello, whats this:

anyone else posted this yet??? Hilarious clip at the beginning of Athers bowling a truly horrendous delivery! In the 2006/07 Wisden he wrote an impassioned editorial on Shane Warne after he'd announced his retirement, probably one of the best things I've read on leg spin about how Warnie is the culmination of a 100 years of leg spin in Australia, made up from the all the best parts of the greatest exponents of the art. Shame he couldn't bowl it as well as he can write about it! Mostly the same old stuff we've all heard before from Richie before but nothing wrong with hearing it all again!

Hahaha yeah, you beat me to it, legbreakgoogly has just recently posted all these videos. Would love to have been the guy bowling and having Richie Praise my action saying "Hello!" lol.

edit: Now that I'm watching the video again, has anyone ever asked for those 2 pages that Benaud has written? I'm curious as to what he has written on them. Though it's probably simplistic.

Hahaha yeah, you beat me to it, legbreakgoogly has just recently posted all these videos. Would love to have been the guy bowling and having Richie Praise my action saying "Hello!" lol.

edit: Now that I'm watching the video again, has anyone ever asked for those 2 pages that Benaud has written? I'm curious as to what he has written on them. Though it's probably simplistic.

At a guess I'd imagine it to be much the same as his section in the MCC masterclass book which accompanied the video I posted on my youtube channel, and is reprinted in an edited version in Bob Woolmers tome.

the lad in the masterclass is decent, looks like he never made county level but is a good all rounder at club premier league level

Back