Videos and Links

I experimented with something called frame interpolation that attempts to create new artificial frames inbetween the real ones to create a super slow motion version of the Shane Warne Action. It doesn't look too bad altough at times there are some artifacts created.

edit: If anyone wants to know I used something called SmoothVideo Project(SVP 3.0) uses ffdshow, & avisynth plugins for watching videos with frame/motion interpolation. I use it for all watching my sports videos as it makes it seem more real. The good thing is that you can tinker with the settings and create and avs file output to input into programs like virtualdubmod and convert them with the extra frames instead of watching and making your processor do it live.

I experimented with something called frame interpolation that attempts to create new artificial frames inbetween the real ones to create a super slow motion version of the Shane Warne Action. It doesn't look too bad altough at times there are some artifacts created.

Didn't notice too many artifacts. Good stuff. That's even better than the gif you did up.

Amazing Funk192, let's hope you hang around a little on this forum as you're definitely an asset to the spinners here! What do you do are you a finger spinner or a wrist spinner?

Amazing Funk192, let's hope you hang around a little on this forum as you're definitely an asset to the spinners here! What do you do are you a finger spinner or a wrist spinner?

Thanks!

Yeah I bowl right arm leg spin.

Started writing a bit, but then turned into more of a intro/story so am posting as a new thread so I keep this thread clean.

I've not looked at this in depth as I'm just off to bed (Midnight here in the UK) but it's stuff seemingly written by the mysterious Menno Gazendam who we've all probably seen on our searches on the internet. Have a look - he generally doesn't give a lot away as he's primarily a business venture ? http://spinbowlingproject.com/about-me/ have a look at his Facebook page as well as he's quite chatty on there and he's even got video footage of himself bowling. It looks as though he's quite approachable rather than the hard nosed business man image I've had of him up till now.

I thought I'd make a frame by frame picture of Warne's action and gif animation that are from the Spin King DVD I have, hope you guys approve.

WarneActionfront.jpg
Warne-Action-front.gif
WarneActionsidesmall.jpg
Warne-Action-side-small.gif
Over the last 12 months or so my action through the crease has changed dramatically and over the weekend I had a bit of a bowl just to keep things ticking over in the off-season and I video'd it. Looking back at it, I was pretty happy with much of what I saw, but was interested in looking at the stride coming out of the bound going on to the pivot. I'd seen this sequence here and was amazed at the length of Warnes stride........ 3rd row down 2nd from right. It's enormous and obviously intentional and therefore potentially integral to what he does, so the question of the day is...... What difference does this massive stride make to your bowling and does anyone bowl with a stride that is similar?

Over the last 12 months or so my action through the crease has changed dramatically and over the weekend I had a bit of a bowl just to keep things ticking over in the off-season and I video'd it. Looking back at it, I was pretty happy with much of what I saw, but was interested in looking at the stride coming out of the bound going on to the pivot. I'd seen this sequence here and was amazed at the length of Warnes stride........ 3rd row down 2nd from right. It's enormous and obviously intentional and therefore potentially integral to what he does, so the question of the day is...... What difference does this massive stride make to your bowling and does anyone bowl with a stride that is similar?

I find it extremely difficult to get up and over my braced front leg when I've tried to replicate Warnes massive stride as It's like I'm fighting my against body, though on the very very rare occasions that it's worked I get and increase in revs, spin/over spin & alot of dip. I feel the ball press much more fingers & especially on the spin finger, as it's released I hear the rip of the ball out of the fingers much more as it's louder. Also an increase in bowling speed.

Perhaps something similar is going on like in pace bowling, especially Jeff Thompsons sling type action where he could push the ball through a much longer ball path before the eventual release of the ball to get to his 160kph speeds.

Might be interesting if I could somehow trace the path of the ball from the wound up till release in Warne's action and compare to others? When I have time I'll see what I can do, I'm going to have to do a bit of research on how to do this & experiment a bit.

edit: just realised that it may not be possible to do since the camera would have to be stationary, will have to experiment with transparency, but the thing is that the camera not only moves side to side, it also rotates. Well whatever, I'll see what happens when I eventually get to it.

edit2: Some guy has made a video tutorial on how to trace a ten pin bowling ball path with Adobe After effects on youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC8_KmHUEV4, though notice how the camera is still.

That's pretty good, I take you do a bit of photoshop? It'll be interesting to see what you come up with and your conclusions and observations. With the leg brace/large stride thing, I got the same impression, it feels like you're jamming the leg into the ground and forcing an un-natural up and over affect, which in the short term un-informed analysis seems to be detrimental. But even just writing that I realise that potentially the 'Up and over' aspect is a desired affect perhaps? Have a look at this girl from my neck of the woods - look at how the Mavericks bloke trains the bowlers to do exactly this - jar that leg and go up and over it! It looks like you'd kill your knees in weeks, but apparently not.

Here's an interesting vid I've found during my research into drift, I'm currently looking at heaps of baseball websites and videos as they're into their physics big time when it comes to balls flying through the air. This is interesting as it relates to perception of whats happening and it shows you the effects created by not watching the ball. If nothing else this is useful as a tool in convincing anyone who's a bit slack at watching the ball when they're batting to do so, as the consequences shown in this on-line tool are only too clear. http://illusioncontest.neuralcorrelate.com/2009/the-break-of-the-curveball/

One thing I am noticing and I'm yet to quantify it is that Baseball pitchers with their curveball which is a top-spinner, don't put hardly any spin on the ball and yet it moves massively, I can only guess that this is due to the stitching configuration. More research................

Hahaha yeah, you beat me to it, legbreakgoogly has just recently posted all these videos. Would love to have been the guy bowling and having Richie Praise my action saying "Hello!" lol.

edit: Now that I'm watching the video again, has anyone ever asked for those 2 pages that Benaud has written? I'm curious as to what he has written on them. Though it's probably simplistic.

Hi,

This is legbreakgoogly here (decided to use the name offbreakdoosra on this forum) thanks for embedding this video... it's lead me to this forum and i've hooked just reading everybody's different threads on spin bowling over the last couple of days. Rekindle my love/facsination for the great art.

Hi,

This is legbreakgoogly here (decided to use the name offbreakdoosra on this forum) thanks for embedding this video... it's lead me to this forum and i've hooked just reading everybody's different threads on spin bowling over the last couple of days. Rekindle my love/facsination for the great art.
Good to have you on board, hope you get involved and join the discussions, although at the minute it's a little quiet for some reason, but no doubt it'll pick up soon.

Good to have you on board, hope you get involved and join the discussions, although at the minute it's a little quiet for some reason, but no doubt it'll pick up soon.

cheers,

Thanks for your warm welcome, dave. (big fan of your youtube uploads)

Despite my love for wrist-spin bowling i don't get to bowl much nowadays but i may have a few interesting tidbits/ contributions, particularly re the Iverson/Gleeson threads.

A bit like Funk192, I may too start a self introduction thread over the next few days... (i have a similar story to Funk's)

For the time being.. thanks again

cheers,

Thanks for your warm welcome, dave. (big fan of your youtube uploads)

Despite my love for wrist-spin bowling i don't get to bowl much nowadays but i may have a few interesting tidbits/ contributions, particularly re the Iverson/Gleeson threads.

A bit like Funk192, I may too start a self introduction thread over the next few days... (i have a similar story to Funk's)

For the time being.. thanks again
Glad you like them, they need updating really. I haven't looked at your profile as yet so I don't know anything about you, so it'll be interesting to hear your back-ground. If you get involved in those, that may entice the Kiwi Bloke to get involved again and it'll be good for all the fingers spinners out there.

Very useful tips from Ashley Mallet on spin bowling - the key to spin bowling is not where the ball lands but how it arrives.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/543815.html

That was an interesting article, so rare to read informed spin bowling articles in the popular press. I agree with him about the arm ball. It's just not as effective as a good slider or undercutter, the seam position makes it too easy to pick.

Spin bowling is easy really, just spin the ball hard, put it on a line and length, mix up your pace between 45 and 60mph, and vary your flight, turn and bounce with the addition of topspin/backspin. Throw in a wrong'un of some nature and a few braincells and you're effectively unplayable.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41082689/Shane Warne -- Timing.mpg

This is a modified Warne Vid that Doctortran has done some work with - there's some useful pointers with regards to bowling action through the crease.

Excellent points being made here by Doctortran. I had/have similar problem of timing with my son.
I do want to follow upon the wrist position comment. You can see Warne really twists his forearm and wrist BEFORE he gets side on, is the wrist not cocked then?. Does it get more cocked just before delivery?. What is the ideal wrist position and how strong should it be?.

That's pretty good, I take you do a bit of photoshop? It'll be interesting to see what you come up with and your conclusions and observations. With the leg brace/large stride thing, I got the same impression, it feels like you're jamming the leg into the ground and forcing an un-natural up and over affect, which in the short term un-informed analysis seems to be detrimental. But even just writing that I realise that potentially the 'Up and over' aspect is a desired affect perhaps? Have a look at this girl from my neck of the woods - look at how the Mavericks bloke trains the bowlers to do exactly this - jar that leg and go up and over it! It looks like you'd kill your knees in weeks, but apparently not.

I don't really know any photoshop, so not an expert. I'm only just experimenting with things, I'm more of an IT technician. Nevertheless here is one thing I came up with so far, it's a bit rough and if I knew I could've have Warne's upper body show up on the top left of the screen. All the frames where lined up as best as possible to the background, though you can see the rotation of the background a little from start to end.

About the ball path:
As you can see it starts with a small circle then the balls released on the incline. This is exactly how I think it felt when I got my bowling right with the long stride that Warne has :)

Also note that I tried to put in Warne's head, but I couldnt since I already had it erased, the rest of his body is joined to the first of the yellow balls you can see in the ball path. See where his head would have started and then finished, partly due to his rocking motion, but also because of the enormous stride.

edit: Small circle to big circle = secret to big spin? There was an unrelated article in a magazine that I read about some time ago that I can't recall right now, it was about some 100m track athlete that used circles to increase his running speed, I wonder if this has anything to do with that.

warneactioncircle.jpg

When I have time, I might try and do this again to try and get the top path of the head/body, though not sure what it will show. I initially tried different blending modes to try and get a sort of motion blur but in the end I couldn't get something like this as I don't know much about photoshop.

I don't really know any photoshop, so not an expert. I'm only just experimenting with things, I'm more of an IT technician. Nevertheless here is one thing I came up with so far, it's a bit rough and if I knew I could've have Warne's upper body show up on the top left of the screen. All the frames where lined up as best as possible to the background, though you can see the rotation of the background a little from start to end.

About the ball path:
As you can see it starts with a small circle then the balls released on the incline. This is exactly how I think it felt when I got my bowling right with the long stride that Warne has :)

Also note that I tried to put in Warne's head, but I couldnt since I already had it erased, the rest of his body is joined to the first of the yellow balls you can see in the ball path. See where his head would have started and then finished, partly due to his rocking motion, but also because of the enormous stride.

edit: Small circle to big circle = secret to big spin? There was an unrelated article in a magazine that I read about some time ago that I can't recall right now, it was about some 100m track athlete that used circles to increase his running speed, I wonder if this has anything to do with that.

warneactioncircle.jpg

When I have time, I might try and do this again to try and get the top path of the head/body, though not sure what it will show. I initially tried different blending modes to try and get a sort of motion blur but in the end I couldn't get something like this as I don't know much about photoshop.

That's pretty good - shows that the wrist extends and the arm pronates through the four key frames.

Back