Videos and Links

Your small circle big circle has similarities to the Fibonacci numbers, the golden mean and Nautilus shells which occur in nature and have a strong connection with maths and the ideas associated with perfect symetry, so you may be onto something here! This is all getting a bit deep!

Your small circle big circle has similarities to the Fibonacci numbers, the golden mean and Nautilus shells which occur in nature and have a strong connection with maths and the ideas associated with perfect symetry, so you may be onto something here! This is all getting a bit deep!

Yep, I've seen documentaries about those things, there is definetely a type of wave function going on here. Found out about the cut via layer function in photoshop, and made an even better one :D

edit: That small circle in the middle must be what creates all that extra force that presses onto the fingers more. It's kinda liking it to an spinning yourself on a swivel chair all tucked in and then letting your leg fly out releasing the energy, or for ice skater's when they do that tuck in and speed up.

warneactionflow.jpg

honestly, it really doesn't matter. The only bit that matter is what happens immediately before the ball is released. The arm pronates and the wrist extends. Thats where the spin comes from. Thats what every great spinner has in common. All this small circle big circle stuff is a red herring, its common to every bowling action.

Yep, I've seen documentaries about those things, there is definetely a type of wave function going on here. Found out about the cut via layer function in photoshop, and made an even better one :D

edit: That small circle in the middle must be what creates all that extra force that presses onto the fingers more. It's kinda liking it to an spinning yourself on a swivel chair all tucked in and then letting your leg fly out releasing the energy, or for ice skater's when they do that tuck in and speed up.

warneactionflow.jpg

Funk192 you've outdone yourself, and Andy Warhol this time. I mean that is a stand alone piece of art.

Funk192 you've outdone yourself, and Andy Warhol this time. I mean that is a stand alone piece of art.

Thanks mate, but it seems there is a quite a bit margin of error in lining up the frames. Instead of lining up the background and white crease lines on the pitch I should've looked at where Warne's feet land more closely. I have started from scratch again and lined up the frames better taking into account Warne's feet & am just now starting to cut out the hands/arms etc. stay tuned. I think this time it will reflect moreso where the ball is actually moving, since looking at the feet is closer to the camera than the background. There will still be errors because of the rotation of the camera but it will be better. I think later I will try one of the side views in Warne's action from match footage.

Here we go, phew that was an effort :eek:. In the end there wasn't that much of a difference, oh well lol :p. Still like this one better though, as I've added in the feet, and they match better to where they are landing.
warneactionflowimproved.jpg

Hello all,

Seen this delivery uploaded a couple of times in other compilation vids but it deserves a upload of its own; and jinxxxx99 has given it one. Picture quality is not the best but I reckon its my favourite Warne delivery (apologies if its been posted before).

Poor Prasad (the batsmen) does nothing wrong but is made to look a right idiot by Warne. This is due to the late dip/drift on the ball. Prasad thinks it's pitching just outside leg and has covered all three stumps. But, suddenly, he's beaten in flight.

It swerves late; to pitch way outside leg. The turn out of the rough merely does the rest. Notice its got enough overspin to hit the top of middle & leg, as well as the side spin to turn a long way.

I know, following the other threads, that drift is a much sought after commodity for leggies, but it is the viscous dip too that gives the batsman no chance. Just look at Prasad's reactions - as the ball starts its dip/drift, his eyes are always a fraction of a second too late to know whats happening.

Like the Gatting delivery, because the ball is dipping as well as moving laterally (drifting), it gives the delivery the visual impression that the ball is picking up speed in flight whilst drifting.

All just my opinion, of course, but I reckon that the late dip and drift combo is a absolute beaut.

Hello all,

Seen this delivery uploaded a couple of times in other compilation vids but it deserves a upload of its own; and jinxxxx99 has given it one. Picture quality is not the best but I reckon its my favourite Warne delivery (apologies if its been posted before).

Poor Prasad (the batsmen) does nothing wrong but is made to look a right idiot by Warne. This is due to the late dip/drift on the ball. Prasad thinks it's pitching just outside leg and has covered all three stumps. But, suddenly, he's beaten in flight.

It swerves late; to pitch way outside leg. The turn out of the rough merely does the rest. Notice its got enough overspin to hit the top of middle & leg, as well as the side spin to turn a long way.

I know, following the other threads, that drift is a much sought after commodity for leggies, but it is the viscous dip too that gives the batsman no chance. Just look at Prasad's reactions - as the ball starts its dip/drift, his eyes are always a fraction of a second too late to know whats happening.

Like the Gatting delivery, because the ball is dipping as well as moving laterally (drifting), it gives the delivery the visual impression that the ball is picking up speed in flight whilst drifting.

All just my opinion, of course, but I reckon that the late dip and drift combo is a absolute beaut.

That's the stuff I'm after! Dip and Drift, Dip on its own is pretty lethal!

That's the stuff I'm after! Dip and Drift, Dip on its own is pretty lethal!

yes it is,

Sorry to revert to soccer here, but its something I now about.

Goalkeepers, facing a free kick say, have a good measure of a curving ball. In manys ways, they can watch and predict the balls curved flight in the air and, I suppose, given that it is taking a longer route to point A to B, it spends longer time it the air. Ultimately as you can see the ball curve you can position for it.

However when a ball starts to dips get a looping deflection and is coming straight at them, they often have a lot more difficulty. They know gravity is going to bring the ball down; but if the ball is not moving laterally, there is no visual clues as to what length the ball is landing. Their sense of depth may only get handle of the length when the ball is in close proximity, probably at or below eye. (This is just me theorizing/free thinking)

A batsmen is still able to hit a swinging/curving ball, but I reckon a ball the keeps it height and has gone below the batsman eye level late, like a topspinner or a yorker say, add an dimension of difficulty.

yes it is,

Sorry to revert to soccer here, but its something I now about.

Goalkeepers, facing a free kick say, have a good measure of a curving ball. In manys ways, they can watch and predict the balls curved flight in the air and, I suppose, given that it is taking a longer route to point A to B, it spends longer time it the air. Ultimately as you can see the ball curve you can position for it.

However when a ball starts to dips get a looping deflection and is coming straight at them, they often have a lot more difficulty. They know gravity is going to bring the ball down; but if the ball is not moving laterally, there is no visual clues as to what length the ball is landing. Their sense of depth may only get handle of the length when the ball is in close proximity, probably at or below eye. (This is just me theorizing/free thinking)

A batsmen is still able to hit a swinging/curving ball, but I reckon a ball the keeps it height and has gone below the batsman eye level late, like a topspinner or a yorker say, add an dimension of difficulty.

You'll like this - check out the whole thing, but hang in there till the end, the examples at the end are very interesting.
The interesting thing about spinning cricket balls in the hands of the best is that the dip and the drift happen very late in the process, so where as the trajectory from the non-spinning ball would be predicatable to some extent albeit being slightly affected by the 'Above the eyes factor, a ball with top-spin dips exponentially in comparison to its predicatable trajectory.

Yes, a very good illustrative vid... I've already looked into little bits Mr Cross has exampled/explained on links on previous threads. It will be interesting if he ever provides examples of "balls with seams"

still got it!

he obviously read the advice given on pitchvision:

"How to dismiss the batsman who is sweeping: The wrong ‘un or a big spinning stock ball will have little effect against the cross batted shots. In this case, we need to vary our flight - especially using topspin and backspin - to get the ball over or underneath the horizontal swing of the bat. A backspinner will get us a bowled or LBW. "

http://www.pitchvision.com/how-to-adapt-to-the-4-types-of-attacking-batsmen

A perfectly example of the slider going underneath the sweep shot and bowling the batsman, exactly as predicted.

Yes, a very good illustrative vid... I've already looked into little bits Mr Cross has exampled/explained on links on previous threads. It will be interesting if he ever provides examples of "balls with seams"

Do you go by a different name on Youtube? The bloke that does the Physics vids on Youtube says that he's doing something with balls with seams soon, but I'm afraid he's probably going to do 'Swing' and will ignore drift. We'll have to wait and see.

Poor old Cam White, can't believe they tried to use him as a front line spinner in India, desperate times...Still, things looking slightly rosier with Nathan Lyon now.

Back