Videos and Links

This is the type of delivery a legspinner like me would dream to produce. Just look at the late drift that just squared graham gooch up.I just was analyzing warnes action from 1993-2005 i see a lot of difference his arm for instance in 1993 is a bit higher but the period from 2005-2007 warne went a lot round arm.I am curious to know does being round arm like warne and macgill give a leg spin bowler a distinct advantage ?

This is the type of delivery a legspinner like me would dream to produce. Just look at the late drift that just squared graham gooch up.I just was analyzing warnes action from 1993-2005 i see a lot of difference his arm for instance in 1993 is a bit higher but the period from 2005-2007 warne went a lot round arm.I am curious to know does being round arm like warne and macgill give a leg spin bowler a distinct advantage ?

Grimmett was even more roundarm than macgill and warne but those three are all in the roundarm camp. It is just easier to get more sidespin on a legbreak using a fair degree of roundarm. A higher arm is easier for topspinner and wrongun.

Grimmett used a ducks and drakes analogy with roundarm in his 1948 book. If you throw a stone in a pond overarm it sinks instantly but if you throw it roundarm it will skid for a bit.

Grimmett was even more roundarm than macgill and warne but those three are all in the roundarm camp. It is just easier to get more sidespin on a legbreak using a fair degree of roundarm. A higher arm is easier for topspinner and wrongun.

Grimmett used a ducks and drakes analogy with roundarm in his 1948 book. If you throw a stone in a pond overarm it sinks instantly but if you throw it roundarm it will skid for a bit.

youre a genius macca,thank you very much for sharing
can i ask a few more questions ??

As shown in the gooch video warne gets late drift my friends told me that round arm bowlers get more drift than high arm bowler.High arm bowlers get dip.And they stated that round arm bowlers more often than not are "in accurate".But i am strongly against this comment.But I just wanted to know do round arm bowlers get more drift naturally caused by magnus effect or not ??

there's a heck of a lot of good leg spin video's getting uploaded lately! And finally we have some footage of MacGill bowling his backspinner, check it out around the 2 minute mark...

there's a heck of a lot of good leg spin video's getting uploaded lately! And finally we have some footage of MacGill bowling his backspinner, check it out around the 2 minute mark...[/quote]

That'll be that bloke Robelinda I guess?

As shown in the gooch video warne gets late drift my friends told me that round arm bowlers get more drift than high arm bowler.High arm bowlers get dip.And they stated that round arm bowlers more often than not are "in accurate".But i am strongly against this comment.But I just wanted to know do round arm bowlers get more drift naturally caused by magnus effect or not ??

You need to look at this video for the answers to this point - have a look at the whole video, but then take particular attention to the bit at the end where the bloke puts the spin on the ball in the manner that the earth rotates "Equator Spin" which is the way that Richie Benaud used to bowl his Flippers. Look how ridiculously the ball deviates off its trajectory - it's the same affect as a Top-Spinner and the way that a Top-Spinner drop late in its flight. I'm working on the theory that if you release the ball with the ball angled in such a way that its half way between "Equator Spin" and pure "Top Spin" you'll then get a combination of both 'Drift' and 'Drop'.

Broadly speaking, yes.

incomprehensible tosh!
Yes, there is an error on the analysis of actions, as Warne is side-on during delivery. The supposed evidence used there to show Warne is front is an image taken when he is pivoting round. A similar "front on" element would be seen in any leg spinner as they pivot round to deliver the ball.

The most obvious danger copying Warne would be bowling a line that is too far down leg because you can spin it as much as him.

Back