World ODI team of the decade

Re: World ODI team of the decade

Boris;386455 said:
I would call those two and Ricky Ponting just beneath them the best opening/number 3 group of batsmen to grace the ODI world, and probably will be like that for quite a while

I dont disagree, but Greenidge/Haynes/Richards were pretty ok as well.

Here is my team:

1. S.Tendulkar
2. A.Gilchrist
3. R.Ponting
4. M.S.Dhoni
5. A.Symonds
6. M.Hussey
7. A.Flintoff
8. B.Lee
9. S.Bond
10. G.McGrath
11. M.Muralitharan

And i'd be inclined to swap Jonty Rhodes for Freddie in game 2 just to watch him, Ricky and Andrew Symonds patrol cover, point and square leg! Especially if we were playing a team who couldnt run between wickets!

courtjester;396354 said:
And i'd be inclined to swap Jonty Rhodes for Freddie in game 2 just to watch him, Ricky and Andrew Symonds patrol cover, point and square leg! Especially if we were playing a team who couldnt run between wickets!

I think in ODI cricket if you picked the best fielders regardless of their batting and/or bowling strengths, you'd still have a pretty good side.

Gilchrist
Jayasuria
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Muralitharan

Two spinners I know but it won't matter since they are both so so good

Rasterius;396524 said:
Gilchrist
Jayasuria
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Muralitharan

Two spinners I know but it won't matter since they are both so so good

Like to have Warne in there, but he didn't play through most of the decade.

Bevan is in the top 5 of my favourite cricketers, but he too barely played this decade, and what he did do wasn't sensational. Replace him with Hussey for almost equal finishing brilliance.

Also not sure if Lara could get a spot here, more pressure from elsewhere. Lara wasn't as great in ODIs as he was in Tests.

Boris;396530 said:
Like to have Warne in there, but he didn't play through most of the decade.

Bevan is in the top 5 of my favourite cricketers, but he too barely played this decade, and what he did do wasn't sensational. Replace him with Hussey for almost equal finishing brilliance.

Also not sure if Lara could get a spot here, more pressure from elsewhere. Lara wasn't as great in ODIs as he was in Tests.

Neither is Sehwag, which is surprising. As long as Tendulkar and Punter are in there I'm not sure that the openers matter as much as everyone thinks. Tendu and Punter (when he was at his height) had such flexible ODI batting skills, they can come in under any situation and turn it around.

Beeswax;397273 said:
Neither is Sehwag, which is surprising. As long as Tendulkar and Punter are in there I'm not sure that the openers matter as much as everyone thinks. Tendu and Punter (when he was at his height) had such flexible ODI batting skills, they can come in under any situation and turn it around.

If you pretend that this team will be versing another equally as strong, it does though.

Boris;396530 said:

Hussey>>Bevan

Kram81;397281 said:
Hussey>>Bevan

Wouldn't say so yet. Hussey has been absolutely brilliant, but I think Bevan has won more matches on the whole. I think he was in the situation more often were he had to score something like 6 off the last over more often than Hussey has been.

Then again Hussey reaches the target three overs before the finish so he doesn't get put in that situation :D

Bevan liked to protect his average ;) Hussey's ability to clear the boundary in the later overs is very underrated.

Kram81;397320 said:
Bevan liked to protect his average ;) Hussey's ability to clear the boundary in the later overs is very underrated.

Yeah, it's a very close call between the two. Hussey just has to hang on for the rest of his career, if he does so than he wins. Bevan definitely hit this point in Hussey's career and went slowly downhill. Hussey is getting better with age.

Hussey has an average of 52, Bevan 54, both at about 6ish for most of their career. To do that either way is astounding, the next best in that position I would reckon would be averaging 30s.

They are pretty much unique. Most other teams have an allrounder but with Kallis in the team there is no need for an allrounder at 6. Kallis is the greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. Miles better than any of the other 70/80's all rounders for all round capacity.

brickwaller99;397386 said:
They are pretty much unique. Most other teams have an allrounder but with Kallis in the team there is no need for an allrounder at 6. Kallis is the greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. Miles better than any of the other 70/80's all rounders for all round capacity.

Yes but he doesn't really change a game or win it single handedly. I haven't seen him be a matchwinner in an ODI..

brickwaller99;397386 said:

Kallis is a better batsman than Imran, Wasim, Hadlee, Botham and Kapil were, but he isn't as good a bowler (though he is very good).

Imran, Kapil, Wasim, Hadlee and Botham were opening bowlers who were also very good batsmen.

Kallis and Sobers are in a different class, they are batting allrounders, while the others are bowling allrounders.

Miller was a gun. Good enough to open the bowling and bat 3.

Knew I'd forgotten someone. Sobers was rather good. However all round i would still only rate him equal to kallis. Miller was a gun. Lindwall was a better bowling all rounder than any of the 80's. Not quite as good bat. Greatest bowler of all time.

brickwaller99;397445 said:
Knew I'd forgotten someone. Sobers was rather good. However all round i would still only rate him equal to kallis. Miller was a gun. Lindwall was a better bowling all rounder than any of the 80's. Not quite as good bat. Greatest bowler of all time.

The thing about Sobers was he managed to bat like Gilchrist and still average 60. He would win you more matches than Kallis. Their stats are remarkably similar, but Sobers was a more explosive match winner.

Boris;397324 said:
Yeah, it's a very close call between the two. Hussey just has to hang on for the rest of his career, if he does so than he wins. Bevan definitely hit this point in Hussey's career and went slowly downhill. Hussey is getting better with age.

Hussey has an average of 52, Bevan 54, both at about 6ish for most of their career. To do that either way is astounding, the next best in that position I would reckon would be averaging 30s.

Bevan's ability to pace a chase is superior to Hussey IMO. Bevan really was an outstanding ODI cricketer because he had a great ability to manage risk V benefit when chasing. He was quicker than Hussey between the wickets as well.

People forget how good Bevan was at the ODI game. It is close between Bevan and Hussey but you just have to take Bevan for his ability to seal the deal at the end of ODI games.

Boris;397324 said:

Michael Bevan was a gun, could time a run chase to a tee. Well in front of Hussey in my personal opinion.

Side Note: thoughts on my new signature?

Hussey averaged 74 summer just past, hussey is also a gun but I tend to agree that bevan creeps in at the moment. But Hussey is not that much worse than bevan.

Sidenote: :(

Back