Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I'd wager the neighbour's house that injury rates haved remained identical since restrictions came in.

Without a shadow of a doubt because so many bowling injuries happen in the nets. That's what baffles me. A 14yo kid can bowl for two hours in the nets, but can't bowl a 6 over spell at the weekend. It's absurd.

The other thing that is ridiculous is that these kids can play in 4, 5 and 6 matches in a week - without restriction. I remember a young kid who played in 5 matches in a week and he was being restricted to 4 over spells. For me, the fact that he was playing almost every day was a bigger cause of concern but not to those dreaming up these absurd regulations.

i don't think bowling even 10 overs will do anything for a 14 yo (being one myself), if a 14 yo can play a football match, if a 14yo can run 1hour endurance running (what we did at school once) i think a 14 yo can bowl 10 overs per match too.

i don't think bowling even 10 overs will do anything for a 14 yo (being one myself), if a 14 yo can play a football match, if a 14yo can run 1hour endurance running (what we did at school once) i think a 14 yo can bowl 10 overs per match too.

Now imagine such restrictions on a 19yo. Restrictions on 14yo's are understandable, even if they are applied in a silly way. Once those restrictions arch over into the bowling of a 19yo, you know the farce is complete.

For my money, the restriction should be for under-16's only. The lines have to be drawn somewhere but it does look daft when a 14yo can only bowl something like 4 overs in a spell one week and then when he turns 15yo he can bowl one more. It needs to be simple and straight forward. Applied restrictions for under-16's only and that is a maximum of 5 overs per spell whether they are 12yo or 15yo, seamer or spinner.

We had a really promising young swing bowler at our club and he switched to offspin just because, being a young lad and being like all young lads, he wanted to bowl and was finding not having bat and bowling only 4 overs very disheartening. I wanted to dissuade him but felt it would be far to disingenuous to do so as I agreed with his motives. He's actually a pretty decent offspinner but boy could he get the ball to swing!

We had a really promising young swing bowler at our club and he switched to offspin just because, being a young lad and being like all young lads, he wanted to bowl and was finding not having bat and bowling only 4 overs very disheartening. I wanted to dissuade him but felt it would be far to disingenuous to do so as I agreed with his motives. He's actually a pretty decent offspinner but boy could he get the ball to swing!
But even the youngest are allowed 10 overs in the day?

But even the youngest are allowed 10 overs in the day?

What often happens is a young swing bowler bowls 4 overs and is bowling well. He has to come out of the attack after bowling his maximum. The problem is, other bowlers come on (inc young spinners) and the young swing bowler doesn't get back on.

More than anything, they feel they are just getting into a spell and bowling well when they have to come out of the attack after 4 overs. For many young players, they're nervous for the first couple of overs and only really start to bowl well in their 3rd and 4th overs, by which point they have to be removed from the attack. It is very frustrating and disheartening for them.

I guess that scenario that you speak of - sitting there knowing you're not going to bowl comes down to making a decision about improving your batting and also accepting that it's not going to go in your favour every week if you see yourself as batter as well? Or you simply have to get that much better as a wrist spinner so that they can't leave you out of the equation. Or as I do - try and enjoy your fielding?

Hi Dave. I don't really see myself as a batsman but the other guys seem to think I have a good eye. I guess I should work on it more, but at the back end of last season I broke my little finger and damaged my wrist (on my batting hand) dropping a catch, and it still hurt going into the season, especially after a net session. It's better now, though, so you're right that I should concentrate on batting more. The other option of becoming brilliant at wrist spin is more appealing, though.

I've had two more games this week. First was a write off, t20 I went for 3-0-27-0. My preparation for the game was poor (45 minute drive in rush hour on the M1), so I arrived tense. My run up was all over the place and I wasn't enjoying bowling. My bowling got what it deserved.

Today was better, a 40 over match. I went 5-0-29-1 but was a bit unlucky to come away with just one wicket. It was a strange spell. I started really well, then a no ball was called when I bowled a wrong un and I moved my run up back a touch. I then started spraying it wildly for a couple of overs, before pulling myself together and bowling a good last over where a right hander was caught at cover. The next ball a left hander was dropped at cover from quite an easy chance. And early in the spell I had a right hander plum from a ful one but the umpire wasn't remotely interested. So all in all not a bad day's work. We chased down their 154 with a handful of overs left for an easy win.

I am quitting the t20s as I can't get to the games in time now I've started my new job. So tonnes of practice instead and hopefully it will come together on Sunday's for me.

So here are my mediocre figures for 2014:-
2014 23-1-129-4
2013 36-1-245-13
All Time 59-2-374-17 (S/R 20.82 Avg 22 Econ 6.34)

I didn't get a bowl this weekend, but I didn't really mind, I was incredibly stiff and sore after playing squash and going to the gym Friday, and then batting for 25 overs in the heat in the first innings. We won comfortably anyway.

My preparation for the game was poor (45 minute drive in rush hour on the M1), so I arrived tense. My run up was all over the place and I wasn't enjoying bowling. My bowling got what it deserved.

There's a lot to be said for preparation when you are bowling legspin or, more accurately, learning the art of legspin. I've had those games where you arrive late, get changed, get out onto the pitch to field and find yourself bowling before you know it. Not easy at all.

I managed to get 11 overs of legspin in today after having to bowl seam with a wet ball last week. It was coming out very nicely today. In the 11 overs, I bowled about 4 or 5 poor deliveries (mostly the poor delivery of mine is a legstump full toss from trying to rip one too early with my loose grip - I've got to learn to ease into a spell until I know I can rip it from ball one). One of those poor deliveries nearly got me a wicket when the batter swept one to fine leg who nearly took a superb two-handed diving catch, only for him to drop as he hit the deck. Another poor one was a short and wide-ish ball that was hit to long-off where our worst and slowest fielder misfielded it for a boundary four. Other than that, it came out very nicely indeed.

I picked up a couple of wickets and missed out on a certain LBW. I must have had the batters play and miss about 50% of the time. Our keeper is decent, but still learning the art of keeping wicket so he does snatch the ball a bit. I've not had a stumping off his keeping because he is still getting to grips with keeping to legspin. Otherwise, I may have had a stumping or two today (not to mention dodgy umpiring). I was using the crease well today, as well as varying the pace a lot. One batter was leaving the ball all the time, so I got right in front to the stumps and bowled it wicket-to-wicket. It made him play at it and he lobbed a catch straight back at me. The second wicket was the one that really made my day. I tried to bowl a topspinner and ended up bowling a legspinner with a lot of topspin on it. It drifted outside legstump, turned back in sharply and bowled the batter around his legs. This was only a friendly game, but the opposition had a few 2nd team players playing and this batter has apparantly been scoring plenty of runs for them this season. Always nice when the you get the wicket of a batter who can play.

Being a friendly, we could only muster 10 players (with the help of the opposition giving us a player). My figures were 2 for 37 from 11 overs. I was reasonably happy with that with only 10 players and plenty of weak fielders in the team. As much as anything else, I was happy with the overall control I bowled with today. None of the batters today were able to get on top of me and I had all of them struggling to deal with my bowling.

Not picked either despite some players being selected for both Saturday and Sunday. Am I within my rights to throw a strop and find a new club?

Not picked either despite some players being selected for both Saturday and Sunday. Am I within my rights to throw a strop and find a new club?

Throw a strop maybe not, but find a new club, definitely. If there is another club out there that better suits your needs, why would you not switch?

^
This

After you find a new club you could send an email saying you've enjoyed playing with the team but it's right for you to move on and you wish the team every success for the future *.

* even if you secretly hope that they lose horribly every match without you.

Not getting picked is rubbish. Did they give a reason?

In our club we have a committee that is involved in team selection. It is them and the captains involved in team selections. The reality is, most of the committee don't come to nets and barely watch any matches. Some of the captains hardly ever come to nets. Not sure how they are supposed to pick teams without watching the players, but most clubs operate this way. Team selection in clubs is often dodgy.

boogiespinner, do you not have a friendly match on Sundays for players not playing in the competitive teams to have run out in?

You wanna play for a club with only one team like I do mate. In the 5 years I have been here, we have only ever once had to tell a player he wasn't selected for a saturday game.

Not getting picked is rubbish. Did they give a reason?

No reason, just looks like a jobs for the boys thing to me. Same players involved the most every week, others get the odd sniff. Should I be grateful for the 23 overs I've had or disgruntled? I feel there is little point practicing all year round if I am not used much. There are a lot of players in the squad, but one or two are playing both games at the weekend (and did last week). I think that takes the piss out of people as everyone pays equally. Essentially I feel my money is being used to subsidise other people playing cricket. And these guys know how much it means to me, how much I've practiced.

Sure it is a risk bowling me as I go for 6 an over, but then a wicket will come every 3 or 4 overs and all of those wickets are top order batsmen, no tail enders. I just think I deserve more of a chance and I'll never improve if I don't get enough experience out in the middle bowling.

Back