Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Thanks mate, anyway someone has dropped out so I'm in there as the 11th man. I'll have to practice hard tomorrow as I was abysmal when I went down the nets the other night. It was like everything I'd ever learned had deserted me and I was trying it for the first time.

Sure it is a risk bowling me as I go for 6 an over, but then a wicket will come every 3 or 4 overs and all of those wickets are top order batsmen, no tail enders. I just think I deserve more of a chance and I'll never improve if I don't get enough experience out in the middle bowling.

The thing is, if things don't go your way and the wickets don't come, then you've given away 60 free runs and the game is basically lost. Captains hate that kind of thing. You'd much rather a bowler that gave you 10 overs, 2-30 every week than a bowler that gave you 10 overs, and could produce anything from 1-70 to 5-40. For every game a bowler like that wins for the team, they'll lose you three.

What is the normal economy rate in your league? In ours its around 3-4.

You wanna play for a club with only one team like I do mate. In the 5 years I have been here, we have only ever once had to tell a player he wasn't selected for a saturday game.

What do you do then in situations like this weekend where most of the club slope off to watch crap like Lily Allen at Glastonbury or later in the season when everyone goes on holiday?

No reason, just looks like a jobs for the boys thing to me. Same players involved the most every week, others get the odd sniff. Should I be grateful for the 23 overs I've had or disgruntled? I feel there is little point practicing all year round if I am not used much. There are a lot of players in the squad, but one or two are playing both games at the weekend (and did last week). I think that takes the piss out of people as everyone pays equally. Essentially I feel my money is being used to subsidise other people playing cricket. And these guys know how much it means to me, how much I've practiced.

Sure it is a risk bowling me as I go for 6 an over, but then a wicket will come every 3 or 4 overs and all of those wickets are top order batsmen, no tail enders. I just think I deserve more of a chance and I'll never improve if I don't get enough experience out in the middle bowling.
At what point do you come on in the game? I don't normally bowl till after drinks - 25 overs when someone else captains.

Other than that move to this area and play for my team, you'd get a game every week, two games a week if you want - playing for the Sunday team!

Last edited:
What do you do then in situations like this weekend where most of the club slope off to watch crap like Lily Allen at Glastonbury or later in the season when everyone goes on holiday?

Most people play most games. But when we're short, we normally have a few guys that don't play regularly that are willing to come out and make up the numbers every now and then.

The thing is, if things don't go your way and the wickets don't come, then you've given away 60 free runs and the game is basically lost. Captains hate that kind of thing. You'd much rather a bowler that gave you 10 overs, 2-30 every week than a bowler that gave you 10 overs, and could produce anything from 1-70 to 5-40. For every game a bowler like that wins for the team, they'll lose you three.

What is the normal economy rate in your league? In ours its around 3-4.

I've never had the luxury of giving away 60 free runs in a match unfortunately. The worst I've done is 30-0 from 3 overs in a t20, that was my second match. The second most I've conceded was 52 from 6 overs for 2 wickets. So I would disagree with the assessment that my bowling would cost 60 free runs and contribute to 3 losses out of 4 games, and my win ratio on the website would back that up as it's over 50%. I'm never given the opportunity to cost the team 60 runs as I don't bowl long enough spells although I see your point. But my point is that my bowling can and does take top order wickets, exclusively so to date. The batsmen can't make any more runs if they're back in the shed.

I don't know what the normal economy rate is, from looking at the average among the top bowlers in my team it is around 4 but then their strike rates and averages are not as good as mine and I think that balances things out? Particularly when you consider that I have never been given a go at the tail out of 59 overs bowled.

To answer Dave's question I am usually the first change once the openers have had a go, I rarely come on late in the game.

Most people play most games. But when we're short, we normally have a few guys that don't play regularly that are willing to come out and make up the numbers every now and then.
That's a nice set-up, sounds unusual but I guess if they don't want to play otherwise that's a very good solution.

I've never had the luxury of giving away 60 free runs in a match unfortunately. The worst I've done is 30-0 from 3 overs in a t20, that was my second match. The second most I've conceded was 52 from 6 overs for 2 wickets. So I would disagree with the assessment that my bowling would cost 60 free runs and contribute to 3 losses out of 4 games, and my win ratio on the website would back that up as it's over 50%. I'm never given the opportunity to cost the team 60 runs as I don't bowl long enough spells although I see your point. But my point is that my bowling can and does take top order wickets, exclusively so to date. The batsmen can't make any more runs if they're back in the shed.

I don't know what the normal economy rate is, from looking at the average among the top bowlers in my team it is around 4 but then their strike rates and averages are not as good as mine and I think that balances things out? Particularly when you consider that I have never been given a go at the tail out of 59 overs bowled.

To answer Dave's question I am usually the first change once the openers have had a go, I rarely come on late in the game.

I've got a tricky game tomorrow 6 kids, two of whom are U13's, one has 'Special Needs' and the rest don't bat. Of the five adults 3 are in their early 50's and the other 2 are in their 40's. We're at the bottom of the league and we're playing the team at the top of the league - 100 points difference in the league!!!
Hopefully we'll win the toss, so that everyone gets a bowl (I'll be using the short spell approach) or the opposition will want to get some batting points and look to score a couple of 100's or a handful of 50's:eek:, otherwise if they put us in first I reckon we'll be home before tea even arrives.

Dave, small targets. I would guess that whatever way the toss goes you will be getting a bowl (unless the weather looks iffy) so set out plans for your bowlers (defensive, attacking whatever) it should be a good test whichever way you want to play it and another chance to get a bit more experience into the lads. Perhaps a defensive target for Ben is less than 1 boundary an over and give him a third man and deep cover and ask for everything outside off (also look at length, my guess is even good players at your level will only have a few shots so see if he can work them out), alternatively if you really do want him to attack put out a long on and long off and get him to bowl full and straight. Remember at his age he will probably struggle with consistency but set a field with a plan for the good balls first and then provide protection against the bad balls as a secondary measure. Best of luck

Hi guys, I've got a good leg break with lots of side spin, and a pretty decent top spinner, but I find it really hard to bowl the googly, can anyone give me some suggestions?

I've got a tricky game tomorrow 6 kids, two of whom are U13's, one has 'Special Needs' and the rest don't bat. Of the five adults 3 are in their early 50's and the other 2 are in their 40's. We're at the bottom of the league and we're playing the team at the top of the league - 100 points difference in the league!!!
Hopefully we'll win the toss, so that everyone gets a bowl (I'll be using the short spell approach) or the opposition will want to get some batting points and look to score a couple of 100's or a handful of 50's:eek:, otherwise if they put us in first I reckon we'll be home before tea even arrives.

Wow, sounds like you are in line for a bit of a pasting. I tend to think you should only have a couple of kids in any competitive team. Any more than that and you will easily get bullied by the opposition and the kids get very little out of that. But, if you don't have the players, then you have no choice. From my point of view, if the opposition turn up with a loads of kids it does disappoint me because I don't want to play against kids.

Haha, good luck. You know whatever the circumstances I always love playing, even though I moan about stuff on here.

Hi guys, I've got a good leg break with lots of side spin, and a pretty decent top spinner, but I find it really hard to bowl the googly, can anyone give me some suggestions?

Keep ripping that big leg break and top spinner. It's all you'll ever need. But if you're determined to bowl a googly just follow the basics, practice and it will come.

Keep ripping that big leg break and top spinner. It's all you'll ever need. But if you're determined to bowl a googly just follow the basics, practice and it will come.

It is a nice delivery to have but can be tricky to develop. I've not really developed it myself. I'm nearly there, but I'm focusing on being accurate more than getting the googly right. I had a batter leave ball after ball because he knew I wasn't bowling a googly. I just got in front of the stumps and bowled it straight on the stumps, forcing him to play. If you have a decent top spinner then you don't really need a googly.

That said, a batter completely confounded by a googly is a great sight.

Haha, good luck. You know whatever the circumstances I always love playing, even though I moan about stuff on here.
Yeah back already been finished for a couple of hours. what with the weather they played safe and put us into bat. I opened and held up one end for 16 overs as I saw all around me falling by the wayside, only scored 5 runs though myself - I need someone to show me at least one stroke or how to time hitting the ball! We were all bowled out for 55 and it only took a few 12-13 overs to reach the score we set.

Oh yeah I saw off all the seamers they threw at us and was out to the leg - spinner - those darn leggies!!!

Twist everything round so it comes out of the back of your hand - wrist, elbow, shoulder - even your body e.g. dip the front shoulder a bit more than you normally would.

Yeah back already been finished for a couple of hours. what with the weather they played safe and put us into bat. I opened and held up one end for 16 overs as I saw all around me falling by the wayside, only scored 5 runs though myself - I need someone to show me at least one stroke or how to time hitting the ball! We were all bowled out for 55 and it only took a few 12-13 overs to reach the score we set.

Oh yeah I saw off all the seamers they threw at us and was out to the leg - spinner - those darn leggies!!!

There's plenty of info out there on different shots, on youtube etc. Just watch the shots the pros play: drives, cuts, pulls, glances etc, and practice playing them in front of the mirror.

I had the late call up to make up the numbers. Didn't bowl and batted 11. Defended a few good balls, was looking forward to playing a few shots but then partner was out caught. So 0 not out.

My highlight was pulling off my sneaky trick of taking an extra run on the throw. Partner hit good shot, we ran easy two, I backed up in preparation, soon as I saw fielder was looping the ball in to the keeper I charged down to the danger end. Partner was bemused as the fielders and very slow to take off but still easily safe. There's loads of runs to be had with this trick, and it demoralises the fielding side too.

Also I say - whenever fielders have a proper shy at the stumps - expect overthrows! Don't charge past the wickets!

Thought my shoulder was just about fixed, then stupidly did some seam bowling in the nets on the Friday, and now found it's a bit messed up again. Hopefully not too badly. You only value these things when you don't have them! I feel really (literally) lame underarming the ball in from the boundary.

Also I say - whenever fielders have a proper shy at the stumps - expect overthrows! Don't charge past the wickets!

Thought my shoulder was just about fixed, then stupidly did some seam bowling in the nets on the Friday, and now found it's a bit messed up again. Hopefully not too badly. You only value these things when you don't have them! I feel really (literally) lame underarming the ball in from the boundary.

There's lots of extra runs to be had with smart running. A lot of fielding in club cricket is poor, especially when you get down to 3rd team, 4th team and friendly cricket. You can almost hit the ball to these fielders and run. Being a bowler, it's the one thing that really annoys me when batters take singles they really should not have.

Not sure what to say about the shoulder. For a good month or two after I came back from a shoulder injury I used a very strong heat rub on my shoulder before bowling and warmed up for 5mins or so (lots of shoulder rotations, building up speed).

There's lots of extra runs to be had with smart running. A lot of fielding in club cricket is poor, especially when you get down to 3rd team, 4th team and friendly cricket. You can almost hit the ball to these fielders and run. Being a bowler, it's the one thing that really annoys me when batters take singles they really should not have.

Not sure what to say about the shoulder. For a good month or two after I came back from a shoulder injury I used a very strong heat rub on my shoulder before bowling and warmed up for 5mins or so (lots of shoulder rotations, building up speed).

Its no exaggeration to say that at the amateur level, most close games are won by the team that runs and fields more aggressively. One of the key aims of fielding at this level is not to actually get a run out, but to look sufficiently convincing that you're trying to get a run out that you put the opposition of taking quick singles or scampered seconds.

It always amazes me how many teams bat through 30 overs barely running a quick single, and then for the last 10 run absolutely everything. the result:
30 extra runs and nothing even close to a run out. When I say "why don't you run like that all 40 overs, you could easily score 100 extra runs without having to play a single risky shot" they just make excuses like "it might start a collapse".

Stupid argument. For every 50 extra runs you might lose one extra wicket to a run out. How many batsmen average 50 at this level?

Back