Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Talk about cricket being a batsman's game now. I just played in a 10 over tournament with my cricket team. The game was designed for batsmen to slog freely. This is because wickets don't exist. Bowl a batsman out? doesn't matter, he can continue slogging you. It was utter bullshit. Are they trying to raise a generation of batsmen or something? Hopefully I won't have to put up with this shit in U-15s.

Talk about cricket being a batsman's game now. I just played in a 10 over tournament with my cricket team. The game was designed for batsmen to slog freely. This is because wickets don't exist. Bowl a batsman out? doesn't matter, he can continue slogging you. It was utter bullshit. Are they trying to raise a generation of batsmen or something? Hopefully I won't have to put up with this shit in U-15s.
Mate I can feel your pain, I've been watching South Africa v England test matches in between the Big Bash, I can't watch the big bash it's BS, you brilliant bowlers come on Bradd Hogg and Adil Rashid and as you know they get 4 overs and they're off and the same thing happens - massive-slog fest and then in a blink of an eye the games over as the spinner has gone it's BS it's like cricket gone Disney, I hate it Mickey Mouse cricket. Hang in there mate, surely once you get in the U15's you'll start to play adult cricket? Some of our U13's play adult cricket sometimes if they're up to it here in the UK - is it the same for you? As for a generation of batsmen - yeah probably. I don't know if you notice it, but every club I've been to there's a sense that the main event is the batting and the batsmen are the super hero's. In addition, you're judged against them in a way that they're never judge against you that reinforces that them and us feeling... Everyone has to bat, thus allowing them to sit in the change room and laugh and take the piss out of us whilst massaging their own over-inflated ego's. On the other hand, they're not forced to bowl irrespective of how good or bad they are - so never have to face that situation where they embarrass themselves. Unlike us where we (Sometimes) go out and make total fools of ourselves. So yes the game is very batting-centric in my opinion and we are 2nd class citizens in the game. You might even argue 3rd class citizens after the fast bowlers?

I think it's certainly the case that most clubs focus heavily on the batting. But, I think that's always been the case. I don't mind that too much because it gives you the opportunity to prove a few people wrong.

Talking about not getting a batter out. I had my first indoor net yesterday and that's something you quickly get used to, batters not getting out. Although, you can score a few points over the batters now and then. But you often see some of them slogging away and, of course, there's no fielders. Although, yesterday we had a young lad (16yo I think he was) keeping wicket for about 90mins. I managed to get the 1st team captain stumped with a very nice leggie.

I don't think I hit the seam as often as I used to. These indoor nets are on a wooden floor with some matting down. Not much bounce, which is annoying, but land the ball on the seam and you get a decent bit of turn. However, miss the seam and the ball just skids on like on a wet track.

Hello fellow enthusiast, I have been following this forum very regularly since the day I started to re-practice Leg Spin after a long gap of 10 years or so. Really it has been very helpful. Just to give details about 10 years lost was due to picking up Tennis cricket and there I was mainly batting and medium pace. When I came across some season bowl opportunity in my company then I tried to recollect my old leg spin skills and in process this forum has been very helpful. Can I post my latest video link here or at some other discussion to have all expert comments? I think here vask knowledge is available and I can improve myself further. Thanks and looking forward for your reply.

Hello fellow enthusiast, I have been following this forum very regularly since the day I started to re-practice Leg Spin after a long gap of 10 years or so. Really it has been very helpful. Just to give details about 10 years lost was due to picking up Tennis cricket and there I was mainly batting and medium pace. When I came across some season bowl opportunity in my company then I tried to recollect my old leg spin skills and in process this forum has been very helpful. Can I post my latest video link here or at some other discussion to have all expert comments? I think here vask knowledge is available and I can improve myself further. Thanks and looking forward for your reply.

You can post anything on this thread as long as it's wrist-spin related.

Thanks... So here I have a video captured today morning. Excuse me for quality and angle as I was practicing solo. Please try to comment about each and every aspect possible and I am especially looking for my back foot( seems too much curved) and braced front leg( can it be better?).

Thanks... So here I have a video captured today morning. Excuse me for quality and angle as I was practicing solo. Please try to comment about each and every aspect possible and I am especially looking for my back foot( seems too much curved) and braced front leg( can it be better?).

The first thing that stands out is that front leg. It does seem to bend a lot and so you lose height. More than that, you may struggle to have a consistent length because the height you release the ball will probably vary a lot.

I've had another look at the video and it seems that you release the ball from a side on position. The main issue with that is that it means you are not really getting any energy from rotation. Ideally, you want to be releasing the ball when you are chest on to the target. Essentially, hit the crease side on and rotate 180 degrees so that you finish side on but facing the other way. Halfway through that rotation is when you want to release the ball. That may well be a consequence of the very bent front leg (you'll notice how you land quite strongly on the heel of your front foot foot - you should aim to land much more on the flat of the foot or even on the ball of the foot so that you get up on your toes to rotate).

The balance and rhythm in your approach looks very good. Fixing the front leg (which you knew needed to brace a bit more before you posted) will take a little bit of work. As always, I would suggest working on that with stand start drills or one step start drills.

Last edited:

Nice to have another leggie on here and interesting that you're in Kuwait. Did you see any of the cricket between England and Pakistan recently over there?

Hi Dave, unfortunately no as that was in dubai. Would have been wonderful to see two leggies in action. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you also let us see it at normal speed as well?

Here is YouTube link..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good to me! Have you identified any issues yourself? No doubt there are things we could pick holes in, but generally from what I can see here at normal speed it looks like a bowling action that might work? I kind of feel that if it works, don't try fixing it, there's a lot of people with strange bowling actions and it works for them. I like the massive stride from BFC to FFC.

The first thing that stands out is that front leg. It does seem to bend a lot and so you lose height. More than that, you may struggle to have a consistent length because the height you release the ball will probably vary a lot.

I've had another look at the video and it seems that you release the ball from a side on position. The main issue with that is that it means you are not really getting any energy from rotation. Ideally, you want to be releasing the ball when you are chest on to the target. Essentially, hit the crease side on and rotate 180 degrees so that you finish side on but facing the other way. Halfway through that rotation is when you want to release the ball. That may well be a consequence of the very bent front leg (you'll notice how you land quite strongly on the heel of your front foot foot - you should aim to land much more on the flat of the foot or even on the ball of the foot so that you get up on your toes to rotate).

The balance and rhythm in your approach looks very good. Fixing the front leg (which you knew needed to brace a bit more before you posted) will take a little bit of work. As always, I would suggest working on that with stand start drills or one step start drills.

I can't agree more on your points as you hit the bulls eye :). Both of your observations points to one issue which is wrong release time( please correct my conclusion in addition to problem of landing on heel)

Yes, this is what is bothering me and from my understanding front leg is actually not bending( getting braced transient position) but I release the ball before it gets braced and eventually ball is released before bracing of front leg and from side on. You are absolutely right this leads to inconsistent length. Though not very bad as it is working action but I need to get rid of this to bowl a consistent length all the time.

My solution- Try to delay bowl release and seems this will take some time as I have been having this problem since sometime and has become a habit. Working with stand start drill and telling my self in action to delay release ( this seems difficult but lets see).

I should include this landing front leg on flat of foot and I think this will help a lot overall. Will reducing my stride will help???

waiting for more comments about issues and efficient solution from all of you.

Looks good to me! Have you identified any issues yourself? No doubt there are things we could pick holes in, but generally from what I can see here at normal speed it looks like a bowling action that might work? I kind of feel that if it works, don't try fixing it, there's a lot of people with strange bowling actions and it works for them. I like the massive stride from BFC to FFC.

Thanks Dave for praising the action though it still has many bugs :) Yes, it is working action.I bowl regularly in club matches and results are not bad. But as a curious observer of international leggies, I definitely know action has some issues which needs to be fixed if I need to get better. I have time these days and hope I can work on these issues to get better at MOST AMAZING ART of cricket :) Just Love this and really regretting why i got into Tennis cricket for 10 years.

I can't agree more on your points as you hit the bulls eye :). Both of your observations points to one issue which is wrong release time( please correct my conclusion in addition to problem of landing on heel)

Yes, this is what is bothering me and from my understanding front leg is actually not bending( getting braced transient position) but I release the ball before it gets braced and eventually ball is released before bracing of front leg and from side on. You are absolutely right this leads to inconsistent length. Though not very bad as it is working action but I need to get rid of this to bowl a consistent length all the time.

My solution- Try to delay bowl release and seems this will take some time as I have been having this problem since sometime and has become a habit. Working with stand start drill and telling my self in action to delay release ( this seems difficult but lets see).

I should include this landing front leg on flat of foot and I think this will help a lot overall. Will reducing my stride will help???

waiting for more comments about issues and efficient solution from all of you.

I did notice the ball was released a little early, but the hand positin at release looked fine and the trajectory looked ok as well. Usually, an early release leads to losing sidespin and trajectory being too high. That doesn't seem to be happening for you.

As Dave says, you may be able to get more consistency in line and length by simply doing more bowling and making your action consistent rather than changing the action.

The stand start or one step start drills (I prefer one step start drills) are worth trying. It should allow you to be more upright when you bowl with that front leg more upright too, as well as trying to release the ball a little later and more chest on. One thing you could try to help with that later release is to try to bowling from about halfway down the pitch (somewhere around 12-14 yards). That forces you to release the ball late.

My suggestion would be to try and make a decision first and foremost about what kind of a run-up you're going to adopt and then stick to it.
Have a look at this here http://legspinbowling.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/leg-spin-basics-consistent-and.html

I personally now think that if you don't get this right at the start and don't establish your run-up, you're under-mining everything else that you do. You're laying the foundations for everything else. I would reflect on what you're already doing and think seriously about whether you're happy with it or whether you've considered lengthening it or shortening it? If so do what McGrath suggests - spend some time establishing what feels right for you and whether you feel it's got the potential to be rhythmic and explosive enough. Once you've figured it out - then repeat the action over several sessions without a ball - ignore the outcomes ignore the rest of the action in the time being, just get the run-up sorted out to the point of back foot contact.

http://legspinbowling.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/bowling-action-basics.html

Work it out in stages.

Yes, I agree run-up is crucial and I have two run-ups:) One run-up is small one( one step) with more accuracy but still i think it has minor technical issues from perfect. This shorter one I am using in matches nicely and is default one.

The one I sent is what I am trying to build to have more energy into my deliveries and I am very comfortable with both as far as my own confidence is concerned. I believe bigger 9 step run-up has lot of momentum but it has some issues which is leading to some inaccuracy. Just note one fact that from the bound both actions are just same.

So let us see if I can continue with bigger one with more accuracy or I will have to build some muscles and continue shorter run-up.

Does anyone here has this situation of two run-ups?

Back