Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

3 overs 29 runs 1 wicket today. I got the wicket in the first over, a great catch at deep mid on and all was going well. For some reason I lost a bit of confidence and technique, got twatted in my third over and taken off.
Unlucky. Sounds like you are having a decent season though!

Unlucky. Sounds like you are having a decent season though!

Thanks mate, yeah it's not going bad. A bit pricey but 9 wickets from four matches at a strike rate and average of just over 10.

I've been bowling off an eleven step run up as sometimes it gives me extra momentum going through the crease, but I might go back to my old five step run up as I think I get more accuracy and consistent bowling from it and don't need the extra steps. What do you think? How many steps do you bowl off and do you run or walk in? I walk in as running for leg spin doesn't feel right for me.

Thanks mate, yeah it's not going bad. A bit pricey but 9 wickets from four matches at a strike rate and average of just over 10.

I've been bowling off an eleven step run up as sometimes it gives me extra momentum going through the crease, but I might go back to my old five step run up as I think I get more accuracy and consistent bowling from it and don't need the extra steps. What do you think? How many steps do you bowl off and do you run or walk in? I walk in as running for leg spin doesn't feel right for me.

Yeah, an average of 10 is very very good, at least in my comp. Keep it up.

I walk in as I find that if I'm running in my action is rushed and I end up bowling short with no spin. My run up is around 7 steps, and it gives me the best spin to accuracy ratio.

Btw, if your goal from the longer 11 step run up was to bowl faster, I have found that the quickest and easiest way to bowl faster is to go to the gym. Doing exercises for the hips, back, wrists and forearms, but particularly shoulders and chest, has increased my pace by 20kmh without needing an increase in either pace through my run up or run up length.

At the end of April I was averaging about 55kmh and now I hit 73kmh on average. Nothing changed in the action, just got stronger and found that I was creating more power through the crease and my arm was rotating through quicker. Took a couple sessions to get the accuracy with increased pace, but after that I'm certainly a better bowler for it. I'm interested to see how this increase in pace goes in games. I can still turn the ball too, but instead of turning it 45cm I might turn it 30cm. I think this is because with the faster pace, the ball doesn't have as much time to deviate with all that extra forward momentum.

Yeah, an average of 10 is very very good, at least in my comp. Keep it up.

I walk in as I find that if I'm running in my action is rushed and I end up bowling short with no spin. My run up is around 7 steps, and it gives me the best spin to accuracy ratio.

Btw, if your goal from the longer 11 step run up was to bowl faster, I have found that the quickest and easiest way to bowl faster is to go to the gym. Doing exercises for the hips, back, wrists and forearms, but particularly shoulders and chest, has increased my pace by 20kmh without needing an increase in either pace through my run up or run up length.

At the end of April I was averaging about 55kmh and now I hit 73kmh on average. Nothing changed in the action, just got stronger and found that I was creating more power through the crease and my arm was rotating through quicker. Took a couple sessions to get the accuracy with increased pace, but after that I'm certainly a better bowler for it. I'm interested to see how this increase in pace goes in games. I can still turn the ball too, but instead of turning it 45cm I might turn it 30cm. I think this is because with the faster pace, the ball doesn't have as much time to deviate with all that extra forward momentum.

Yeah I have tried a 7 step run too and used it during the 2014 season. I had a good session using my 11 steps in the nets tonight so I will probably stick with that for the time being. I don't particularly want to bowl fast, I just find that I am better at building up momentum with a slightly longer run up and more likely to finish further down the wicket with my follow through, which to me is a sign of a good delivery.

I have never been a gym guy but I might start doing press ups and sit ups at home, I also did some progressive drills last night in the nets and that really helped. First sitting, then kneeling, then standing start then off two steps.

My bowling is relatively slow and loopy but I get good drift, dip and bounce from that when bowling well.

Yeah I have tried a 7 step run too and used it during the 2014 season. I had a good session using my 11 steps in the nets tonight so I will probably stick with that for the time being. I don't particularly want to bowl fast, I just find that I am better at building up momentum with a slightly longer run up and more likely to finish further down the wicket with my follow through, which to me is a sign of a good delivery.

I have never been a gym guy but I might start doing press ups and sit ups at home, I also did some progressive drills last night in the nets and that really helped. First sitting, then kneeling, then standing start then off two steps.

My bowling is relatively slow and loopy but I get good drift, dip and bounce from that when bowling well.
Yeah, those prep drills sound good. I'll be sure to try them next net. You don't necessarily need to go to the gym either - bodyweight exercises work just as well to increase strength.

It sounds like you get some decent revolutions on the ball. I'm assuming you play on turf?

Yeah, those prep drills sound good. I'll be sure to try them next net. You don't necessarily need to go to the gym either - bodyweight exercises work just as well to increase strength.

It sounds like you get some decent revolutions on the ball. I'm assuming you play on turf?

I practice on an astroturf net most evenings and our matches are on normal wickets.

I think I get good revs, it's hard to tell without something to measure them but when I'm bowling well and rhythmically yes I think I get high revs and action on the ball and what I want it to do when it pitches. I bowl mainly stock ball leg break with the odd slider, which is now my go to variant. Sometimes I am prone to losing rhythm and technique, even within a good over I can bowl a shocking wide or something. But in the main, I'm pretty happy with how it's going and there's another match tomorrow.

I might get some weights for home and I've been intending to start press ups for ages, haha.

4 overs 0 maidens 10 runs 2 wickets today. Very satisfying, both wickets were right-handers bowled on middle/off including their danger man.

With the bat 2 not out and an easy win.

Last edited:
i'll probably read this thread after ive posted 5 replies so i can post my own. It seems like ive posted 10 but it keeps telling me the same warning
does anyone here know whats going on ?
(sorry for the interuption- pleae continue with the wrist spin)

i'll probably read this thread after ive posted 5 replies so i can post my own. It seems like ive posted 10 but it keeps telling me the same warning
does anyone here know whats going on ?
(sorry for the interuption- pleae continue with the wrist spin)
Maybe just keep posting and give it a week or two?

Unlucky man. We all have those days.

Not sure what I have to do to get more of a bowl! I've played in six matches, the longest spell I've been given is six overs, the rest have been four over spells. I'm taking wickets but the captain still seems reluctant to bowl me. If he does the same thing again this Sunday I'll need to consider my options, I hate paying my match fee and doing all of the prep/travel just to watch other people bowl.

Not sure what I have to do to get more of a bowl! I've played in six matches, the longest spell I've been given is six overs, the rest have been four over spells. I'm taking wickets but the captain still seems reluctant to bowl me. If he does the same thing again this Sunday I'll need to consider my options, I hate paying my match fee and doing all of the prep/travel just to watch other people bowl.
That sucks. One of the hardest things as a legspinner is getting a bowl. What I've found helps me other than performances, which you seem to have, is to be good friends with the captain. It's stupid, really, when you get taken off and get replaced by some medium pacer or something when you haven't done anything wrong.

Do any of you still get problems with your spinning finger getting torn to bits? It's not a problem I've had yet, but I was wondering whether perhaps the seams of cricket balls may have become less abrasive over the years.

Richie Benaud's method of dealing with the problem is as follows:
Materials required: Oily Calamine Lotion BP54, Borasic Acid powder
1. Sand off any dead/torn skin
2. Rub the lotion onto the wound
3. dab off any oil produced
4. Rub in the powder to form a waxy filling
Useful information

OK I'll kick off then...

There's a great video someone's posted on the links section (have a look here) where Shane Warne and Ian Healey discuss tactics and also what the keeper has to do to support his spinner. I was wondering if, and how, everyone on here went about developing that spinner/keeper relationship, whether you had any particular styles of practising with them and how receptive the keepers were to all this.
THank You for sharing the link of video

I practice on an astroturf net most evenings and our matches are on normal wickets.

I think I get good revs, it's hard to tell without something to measure them but when I'm bowling well and rhythmically yes I think I get high revs and action on the ball and what I want it to do when it pitches. I bowl mainly stock ball leg break with the odd slider, which is now my go to variant. Sometimes I am prone to losing rhythm and technique, even within a good over I can bowl a shocking wide or something. But in the main, I'm pretty happy with how it's going and there's another match tomorrow.

I might get some weights for home and I've been intending to start press ups for ages, haha.
Keep working hard. ALl the best !!!!

That sucks. One of the hardest things as a legspinner is getting a bowl. What I've found helps me other than performances, which you seem to have, is to be good friends with the captain. It's stupid, really, when you get taken off and get replaced by some medium pacer or something when you haven't done anything wrong.

I'll see how it goes this Sunday. The max overs per bowler is 7.

Back