Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I can bowl the normal leg break quite well as well as the big spinning leg break but recently I have been practicing the topspinner. I know how to bowl the top spinner, but whenever I've attempted it. The seam has been scrambled, and the ball has turned the same way as my leg break. At times, it does bounce more than my normal leg break but it is extremely unpredictable.

Anyone got any advice?

It's just a case of wrist and seam presentation. Get yourself a 2 coloured ball or plain ball of some sort and paint or draw a big black line round it that you can see and use that so you can watch the seam. Do the Peter Philpott hand to hand drill to get the feel for the Top-Spinner and maybe bowl it over a short distance watching the seam, as it comes together extend the distance bit by bit.

better than drawing on the ball is using insulating tape! I use black insulating tape on a white ball, or green and yellow tape on a red ball. both show up very well in flight (and on video). it tends not to wear off like ink or paint might, and you can simply remove the tape afterwards and have a normal coloured ball again.

its better to put the tape on perpendicular to the seam though so you can see the ball spinning. also having it on the seam means the seam wont grip and turn so much for you. when I am videoing deliveries I'll usually have one ball with tape on perpendicular and around the seam so I can see the seam presentation as well as the revs on the ball, but for visual practice you only really need one, you'll only just be able to make it out at full speed with good eyesight, its easier for someone stood behind the stumps to look at it and let you know what its doing.

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last popped in so with my season starting in just over a couple of weeks here's where I'm at...

I've been working very hard in our indoor nets, I've only had to miss one session and I've been bowling pretty well. I started quite rusty after about three months off but in a couple of weeks found a good consistent length and a reasonable line, much better than I was at any point last year, and plenty of our batsmen seemed to be regularly baffled by the amount of dip I was getting on my stock ball. When the outdoor nets opened a week ago I found my length temporarily deserted me, which I think is because the outdoor nets are a little smaller than the indoor ones and I lost my frame of reference somehow. Anyway after a bit of practise I'm back to a decent length.

My action has changed in some key ways since last year, and I've finally got that right leg kicking round. I didn't know about that until I saw the most recent video of my bowling, it pleased me no end! I've been working on the standing start drill and even in a short space of time it's showing some profit. I've also settled on a very simple run-up (which you won't see on the video as I hadn't settled on it then) which essentially involves three steps into the standing start drill. I'm much more stable at delivery that way, and my spin and consistency is much better as a result. I've also been improving my "exploding" and that's proving very fruitful - I'm getting some very impressive turn at times. I have work to do on controlling and varying the amount of flight I give the ball, essentially I need to learn to consistently bowl a little flatter, and that's pretty much top of my to-do list. I could also do with upping the speed a bit, but that's not a major priority.

Currently I've still got just the three variations - leg-break, top-spinner, back-spinner - at least, they're the only three I've got confidence in. My leg-break is fine, my back-spinner is outstanding, but my top-spinner is too inconsistent and needs work. I've had a go at flippers and googlies but neither were successful, particularly the flipper as I don't think my fingers are strong enough, while I simply can't get my hand around far enough to bowl anything beyond a top-spinner yet. I'm going to practise a bit of finger spin so that I have a stop-gap in the "one that goes the other way" department until I can get a googly going, although it may be that with my relatively low arm I'll never have a very good googly, and I'm also going to try to learn George Simpson-Hayward's long-lost underarm off-spinning flipper as while it's obviously no good for bowling in matches it's probably a good way to get my fingers ready for a conventional flipper. I may have mentioned a book I read about lob (i.e. underarm) bowling, and it gave me plenty of food for thought. I've messed about with a few lobbed leg-breaks and they produce massive turn with hardly any effort!

The captain seems very happy with how my bowling's progressing (and getting his wicket in the nets a few times hasn't hurt :D) so it looks like I'll get more of a bowl in matches than my 1.4 overs last year. Also he's made it plain that we need much more from our batting so hopefully if we make bigger scores he'll be more prepared to bring me on. Sadly I haven't seen much of our wicket-keeper, so I haven't been able to chat with him about how we go about things and he hasn't seen my bowling at all. Anyway, apart from that everything (including my batting) is moving in the right direction. There's plenty more detail on my blog but I think that's enough for one post!

Just had a look - most impressed! You're bowlings a gazzillion times better than last year - good work!

Just had a look - most impressed! You're bowlings a gazzillion times better than last year - good work!

Hey spiderlounge,

Looking at the enthusiasm of your post and the excitement of being able to bowl much more this season -- it's enough to invigorate anyone!

Ok a big tip for you and I can almost guess exactly when you bowl a wide or long hop with this -- head movement. And I want to prove to you through how you bowled why this is a problem.

I have included the time on the youtube video to help you see the result of the delivery from your head movement.

Let's play the game -- Spot the Difference!

unled6.jpg

unled8.jpg

unled7.jpg
unled5w.jpg

unled9.jpg

All the pictures show the same thing except for the first one. Your head is falling away only after you've released the ball. See your arm -- its already decelerating. This is of course also your best delivery. As you know about your own action you fall away with your body -- head first -- away from the batsman. Each delivery has you basically running at the off side nets. The first picture has you running away starting slightly later.

I think if you look at the result of all the other deliveries, in the point of view I set them in, it seems to point to a problem with falling away. My advice is to go completely the other way. Keep your head going to the leg side. I think a good method is to think about keeping your head over your right knee or just to the right of it. This will not only stop you falling away too early, but best of all it will keep your weight solid over the right knee transferring efficiently energy to your right arm -- so you might actually bowl faster but definitely more accurately.

Try it out.

I can bowl the normal leg break quite well as well as the big spinning leg break but recently I have been practicing the topspinner. I know how to bowl the top spinner, but whenever I've attempted it. The seam has been scrambled, and the ball has turned the same way as my leg break. At times, it does bounce more than my normal leg break but it is extremely unpredictable.

Anyone got any advice?

I painted a few red balls white on one half. Seems to stay on for quite a while and is definately the best way to work on seam position. I a bit opposite to you in that I get a lot of top spin. I would keep working on it because I find the extra bounce gets batsmen in just as much trouble and turn sometimes. Also the shape and dip you get is great.
To be fair though a scrambled ball that you can't predict doesnt sound like the worst ball in the world.

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last popped in so with my season starting in just over a couple of weeks here's where I'm at...

I've been working very hard in our indoor nets, I've only had to miss one session and I've been bowling pretty well. I started quite rusty after about three months off but in a couple of weeks found a good consistent length and a reasonable line, much better than I was at any point last year, and plenty of our batsmen seemed to be regularly baffled by the amount of dip I was getting on my stock ball. When the outdoor nets opened a week ago I found my length temporarily deserted me, which I think is because the outdoor nets are a little smaller than the indoor ones and I lost my frame of reference somehow. Anyway after a bit of practise I'm back to a decent length.

My action has changed in some key ways since last year, and I've finally got that right leg kicking round. I didn't know about that until I saw the most recent video of my bowling, it pleased me no end! I've been working on the standing start drill and even in a short space of time it's showing some profit. I've also settled on a very simple run-up (which you won't see on the video as I hadn't settled on it then) which essentially involves three steps into the standing start drill. I'm much more stable at delivery that way, and my spin and consistency is much better as a result. I've also been improving my "exploding" and that's proving very fruitful - I'm getting some very impressive turn at times. I have work to do on controlling and varying the amount of flight I give the ball, essentially I need to learn to consistently bowl a little flatter, and that's pretty much top of my to-do list. I could also do with upping the speed a bit, but that's not a major priority.

Currently I've still got just the three variations - leg-break, top-spinner, back-spinner - at least, they're the only three I've got confidence in. My leg-break is fine, my back-spinner is outstanding, but my top-spinner is too inconsistent and needs work. I've had a go at flippers and googlies but neither were successful, particularly the flipper as I don't think my fingers are strong enough, while I simply can't get my hand around far enough to bowl anything beyond a top-spinner yet. I'm going to practise a bit of finger spin so that I have a stop-gap in the "one that goes the other way" department until I can get a googly going, although it may be that with my relatively low arm I'll never have a very good googly, and I'm also going to try to learn George Simpson-Hayward's long-lost underarm off-spinning flipper as while it's obviously no good for bowling in matches it's probably a good way to get my fingers ready for a conventional flipper. I may have mentioned a book I read about lob (i.e. underarm) bowling, and it gave me plenty of food for thought. I've messed about with a few lobbed leg-breaks and they produce massive turn with hardly any effort!

The captain seems very happy with how my bowling's progressing (and getting his wicket in the nets a few times hasn't hurt :D) so it looks like I'll get more of a bowl in matches than my 1.4 overs last year. Also he's made it plain that we need much more from our batting so hopefully if we make bigger scores he'll be more prepared to bring me on. Sadly I haven't seen much of our wicket-keeper, so I haven't been able to chat with him about how we go about things and he hasn't seen my bowling at all. Anyway, apart from that everything (including my batting) is moving in the right direction. There's plenty more detail on my blog but I think that's enough for one post!

Those nets look great. You have far better facilities than we have here.
I bowl my googly with a round arm so I reckon you can. I have been trying to get my arm higher to disguise it . I thought Id never be able to one but in the last 3 months its developed from nothing to something I can bowl quite accurately now. I just bowl a topspinner but turn my wrist right over so the back of the hand faces the ground at the end. The key for me though was not to use the spinning finger much and really try and get it out the back of the hand. It actually feels like you lose control of it and that it won't have any spin on it. It also goes very high and loopy and slow at first until you work it out.
Great fun to bowl.
I remember when we were kids playing in the backyard bowling underarm with a tennis ball I used to bowl an offspinner by clicking my fingers with an flipper grip. I had no idea at the time that it was a flipper. To complicate matters we used to play by throwing the ball against a wall whilst being the wicket keeper. The batsman standing in front of us and throwing around them. This would turn it into a leg break as it was reversed coming back off thwall Great way to play looking back as you were the keeper and bowler all in one. Sorry just reminiscing on some great days.
Hope you get more of a bowl this year.

All the pictures show the same thing except for the first one. Your head is falling away only after you've released the ball. See your arm -- its already decelerating. This is of course also your best delivery. As you know about your own action you fall away with your body -- head first -- away from the batsman. Each delivery has you basically running at the off side nets. The first picture has you running away starting slightly later.

I think if you look at the result of all the other deliveries, in the point of view I set them in, it seems to point to a problem with falling away. My advice is to go completely the other way. Keep your head going to the leg side. I think a good method is to think about keeping your head over your right knee or just to the right of it. This will not only stop you falling away too early, but best of all it will keep your weight solid over the right knee transferring efficiently energy to your right arm -- so you might actually bowl faster but definitely more accurately.

Wow, that's a really good analysis. Thanks! I'll look out for it, although my run-up has slightly changed and my accuracy improved - perhaps because starting from a more stable platform helps to prevent me falling away early? I'm going to head to nets a little early tonight so I can get some more video so we'll see...

I bowl my googly with a round arm so I reckon you can. I have been trying to get my arm higher to disguise it . I thought Id never be able to one but in the last 3 months its developed from nothing to something I can bowl quite accurately now. I just bowl a topspinner but turn my wrist right over so the back of the hand faces the ground at the end. The key for me though was not to use the spinning finger much and really try and get it out the back of the hand. It actually feels like you lose control of it and that it won't have any spin on it. It also goes very high and loopy and slow at first until you work it out.
Great fun to bowl.

As for the googly I'm not too fussed for the moment. I saw a post on here about the "type 2 googly" so I might try that one out as it looks a little easier and for now I just need one that goes the other way, whether it's a Bosanquet googly, type 2 googly or conventional off-spin. It does seem to me that high-armed leggies tend to have good googlies (MacGill, Qadir), while those with lower arms tend to have good flippers instead (Warne, Grimmett). Or is that complete guff?

I really want a googly, I'm just not prepared to sacrifice my leg break for it. Occasionally I try to bowl one at practice, but I think short of spending a few hours on it constantly you'll struggle to find the action at all (unless it just comes naturally), and that could easily destroy your leg break by the time you've practiced it enough to bowl it consistently for the weeks after that it would require.

Dave's advice (I think. Might have been macca or someone else though) in the past has been to start out "perfecting" the top spinner. This is less dangerous as it isn't far from a leg break. Once you can get perfect overspin then adding the small amount of angle to achieve the googly will be much easier. The "type 2" googly isn't much different from a regular googly, the action is almost identical, so I think most people who can bowl one will be able to bowl the other anyway.

I just cannot grasp the concept of dropping my shoulder and rotating my wrist that far around. It just doesn't work. I think I have more chance of getting a backspun googly working than an overspun one as my action is much better suited to backspin. I aim to bowl with side or backspin almost exclusively now, the overspun leg break has become something of a variation. Although I think if I looked at slow motion video I would find that I'm still bowling a lot of overspun leg breaks without realising.

I really want a googly, I'm just not prepared to sacrifice my leg break for it. Occasionally I try to bowl one at practice, but I think short of spending a few hours on it constantly you'll struggle to find the action at all (unless it just comes naturally), and that could easily destroy your leg break by the time you've practiced it enough to bowl it consistently for the weeks after that it would require.

Dave's advice (I think. Might have been macca or someone else though) in the past has been to start out "perfecting" the top spinner. This is less dangerous as it isn't far from a leg break. Once you can get perfect overspin then adding the small amount of angle to achieve the googly will be much easier. The "type 2" googly isn't much different from a regular googly, the action is almost identical, so I think most people who can bowl one will be able to bowl the other anyway.

I just cannot grasp the concept of dropping my shoulder and rotating my wrist that far around. It just doesn't work. I think I have more chance of getting a backspun googly working than an overspun one as my action is much better suited to backspin. I aim to bowl with side or backspin almost exclusively now, the overspun leg break has become something of a variation. Although I think if I looked at slow motion video I would find that I'm still bowling a lot of overspun leg breaks without realising.

Yeah that sounds like one of mine. If you get the Top Spinner working you'll find when it goes wrong it'll sometimes produce the wrong Un, but once you've sussed the Top Spinner it's only a wrist angle away from becoming a fully fledged Wrong Un. The Top Spinner is definitley a ball to have and a small wrong un I reckon is far better than a big wrong un.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwRWnAntlg
This is an old video from before xmas. I can't get into my old youtube account so I have had to start up a new one, (something to do with linking it to a google account that I couldn't work out, so frustrating!!)
I know this is the spin thread but the first delivery is pace, maybe it will interest you as it shows how I have had to change my action to bowl spin. I'd never seen myself bowling seam up so it was interesting. I can really see the effect of not being able to brace up the left leg because of my knackered knee. (Like a big shock absorber slowing everything down)
I think the spin delivery is ok but my arm goes past the vertical and I step too far across myself as usual. Ive been working hard on rectifying this lately. There is a nice shape and a bit of dip too.

Thats how I got my wrong un going. I noticed some of my topspinners were going back the other way and inch or two. So I just exagerrated it a little and it started to work. I did a lot of practicing it just hand to hand to get the feeling and then the main moment where it started working as I said before is really getting it to come out from behind the little finger and it feels like you have lost control of it. I didn't drop the shoulder to begin with but for me I have to now or otherwise is is too slow and loopy.
Im a big fan of the backspinning wrong un because of the low bounce and I reckon your front on action is perfect for developing it.

and I'm also going to try to learn George Simpson-Hayward's long-lost underarm off-spinning flipper as while it's obviously no good for bowling in matches it's probably a good way to get my fingers ready for a conventional flipper.
That is how my son started to learn his flipper and with a smaller softer ball to begin with.

Grimmett saw Hayward bowl in NZ. Grimmett was only young and didn't get up close to the lobber but years later after Grimmett perfected his flipper he thought back to Hayward and concluded that the Englishman must have been using a similar finger snap to his own. Grimmett also wrote that Hayward was the biggest spinner of a ball he saw in his youth.

That is how my son started to learn his flipper and with a smaller softer ball to begin with.

Grimmett saw Hayward bowl in NZ. Grimmett was only young and didn't get up close to the lobber but years later after Grimmett perfected his flipper he thought back to Hayward and concluded that the Englishman must have been using a similar finger snap to his own. Grimmett also wrote that Hayward was the biggest spinner of a ball he saw in his youth.
Wow! I wondered if Grimmett had picked it up from a lob bowler, but there weren't many of note outside England so I wondered how he would have got to see one. I guess that answers my question, but perhaps it muddys the waters as to who invented the flipper! I'm not surprised Simpson-Hayward got so much turn, I've tried a few low-lobbed leg-breaks and the turn on them is incredible given that I wasn't spinning them too hard.

Wow! I wondered if Grimmett had picked it up from a lob bowler, but there weren't many of note outside England so I wondered how he would have got to see one. I guess that answers my question, but perhaps it muddys the waters as to who invented the flipper! I'm not surprised Simpson-Hayward got so much turn, I've tried a few low-lobbed leg-breaks and the turn on them is incredible given that I wasn't spinning them too hard.

This is what Grimmett wrote

"I was impressed by a very fine underarm bowler named Hayward Simpson, who toured New Zealand with an English team. He could spin a ball more than any other bowler I had seen up till that time. How could such vicious spin be applied underarm, I wondered. Surely some sort of different principle of spinning must be involved.
If I had asked Mr Hayward perhaps I would have evolved my mystery ball sooner. But as it was I went on experimenting, and eventually realised that much more spin could be applied by holding the ball between the thumb and second finger"

This is what Grimmett wrote

"I was impressed by a very fine underarm bowler named Hayward Simpson, who toured New Zealand with an English team. He could spin a ball more than any other bowler I had seen up till that time. How could such vicious spin be applied underarm, I wondered. Surely some sort of different principle of spinning must be involved.
If I had asked Mr Hayward perhaps I would have evolved my mystery ball sooner. But as it was I went on experimenting, and eventually realised that much more spin could be applied by holding the ball between the thumb and second finger"

Definitely! I'd put money on this being the origins of the Flipper as it makes so much sense, when we play Kwik Cricket which is under-arm bowling, when you get some cocky kid that plays a bit of cricket the Flipper is the ball you turn to, you can get the ball to spin in all directions simply by rotating the wrist and and. It's got to be the case that all those years that people bowled under-arm some of them must have experimented and come up with the Flipper. I'm sure that Simpson would have seen it being used by his peers and people before him.

I got up early this morning and had a bowl before work. I was a bit rusty as I haven't had a bowl for 2 weeks. I took the camera down to see how things looked. I think I am still stepping too far across myself still which was a surprise as I thought I had fixed that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFfvgmmZ2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOaAmHxsKcs
Jim here is a video that you can use to try and work out the speed that I bowl at. The ball just clips the top of the stumps. It would be great if you could calculate it for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mwOiP_yKI
This video is a hard spun leg break bowled with a round arm ( well round for me anyway) I'm not bowling many of these at the moment, just trying to work on it as a variation for the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwA7SIrROw
This video has a wrong un at the end and I swear it drifts just a little at the end. I didn't notice when I bowled it but the video shows it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgM-NMFQbyQ
Heres a few more wrong uns, my arm is actually high, it felt like it was low and I was trying to get it higher, funny what the camera shows up. Not a great line on some of them, the curse of the camera, I had been bowling them quite accurately up to now. Im getting a bit carried away with it but it feels like such a different delivery to the leg break Im not too worried about googly syndrome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PV-47qSzLk

There is one more video but its still loading and its time for bed so I'll post it in the morning.

Hey Chippyben!

Some nice deliveries. You bowl SOOO much better now you don't swing that back leg... SOO much better.

This next piece of advice though is related to that lack of back leg swing.

With the stepping across yourself. It's not too bad just as long as you keep the graphic above going. The line is drawn about your right or back leg. I think you naturally step across yourself because of your sort of strange head and body movements as you bend your back forward (trunk lean). Your trunk almost stays at this position below for the entire delivery stride. So naturally your arm is very upright or even past the vertical. To stay balanced about that line you step across yourself.

You stepping over yourself is more of an adaptation. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that experienced bowlers are able to learn tricks to compensate for strange sorts of idiosyncratic mechanics. Experience with fast bowling helping you out there buddy!?

The problem is when you try to correct yourself that you pitch short. Don't you find it interesting how your first deliveries are always quite good, but then you start thinking about it and you suddenly drop short. Not enough stepping across yourself means you don't get enough of your body past that red line.

As I said earliet "This... piece of advice though is related to that lack of back leg swing." The less you swing the back leg the more of your body you will have to the left of picture or leg side of the red line. In other words if you swing your leg you move the right leg more and more to the leg side or to the left of the picture and so the red line moves more and more to the left of picture.

So I think lead more with your front hip which will get you more side on and more actually step across yourself more. Then try different head positions more to the leg side.

Untitled-15.jpg

Untitled-12.jpg

Jim here is a video that you can use to try and work out the speed that I bowl at. The ball just clips the top of the stumps. It would be great if you could calculate it for me.

approx 43mph (thats 70kph)

thats quick, about the fastest I can bowl at, my average varies between 36-41mph mostly depending on whether I'm bowling by myself and finding rhythm, or bowling at a batsman in nets and struggling lol. I tend to inadvertantly take pace off the ball when theres any pressure on me.

if youre hitting that speed on your average delivery then batsmen are going to struggle against that big time. youve probably got an occasional one that comes out just right of about 45mph or so. pushing towards "pro" speeds.

I got up early this morning and had a bowl before work. I was a bit rusty as I haven't had a bowl for 2 weeks. I took the camera down to see how things looked. I think I am still stepping too far across myself still which was a surprise as I thought I had fixed that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFfvgmmZ2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOaAmHxsKcs
This video is a hard spun leg break bowled with a round arm ( well round for me anyway) I'm not bowling many of these at the moment, just trying to work on it as a variation for the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwA7SIrROw
This video has a wrong un at the end and I swear it drifts just a little at the end. I didn't notice when I bowled it but the video shows it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgM-NMFQbyQ
Heres a few more wrong uns, my arm is actually high, it felt like it was low and I was trying to get it higher, funny what the camera shows up. Not a great line on some of them, the curse of the camera, I had been bowling them quite accurately up to now. Im getting a bit carried away with it but it feels like such a different delivery to the leg break Im not too worried about googly syndrome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PV-47qSzLk

There is one more video but its still loading and its time for bed so I'll post it in the morning.

Didn't read all your comments and went straight into youtube and yeah without seeing what you'd said above my favourite and you'll see the comment in Youtube was the drifting Wrong Un right at the end of the vid following the sequence of leg beaks.... Lovely ball, subtle, just enough to cramp the batsman up and with that extra bounce to come off the gloves or the top of the bat somewhere. Beautiful delivery in amongst the Leg Breaks!

You've got a Wrong Un and you've obviously learned it without any detriment to your Leg Break, so it's just a case of throwing one up there every now and then or as you've done for the vid, a bunch of em in between your leg breaks.... Sorted - good work! I bowled some superb wrong uns today, massive turning ones too big in fact! I just bowl em now if I bowl a top spinner, it's a Googly syndrome thing, it just makes it dead hard to bowl my leg breaks.

Back