Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I think it is a combination all of the above.If you want to get the latest drift you should have the perfect seam position.If there is no enough revs on the ball the magnus effect wont come into play. As far as the speed Warne said "The pcae should be in which you get your maximum spin. So,it is a combination.If one of the element is lacking you might not get your late drift :)
But how does Ajmal get drift then? He scrambles the seam and drifts it more than most others nowadays.

strike rate of 13.5 can't be bad, lets hope he gets a five-fer!

No he didn't get wickets but he put the brakes on the scoring for his 4 overs. To tell the truth he was bit too good for them to get bat to ball mostly. Could have had a couple of wickets with some more luck but they won the semi final which is the main thing. Coach bowled jimmy with a strong tailwind today. That is the first time coach has got the ends wrong in 2 years. He tends to overpitch for the first few balls with the wind behind him but he settles on a length pretty quick.

Anyway he bowled really well and so did all the other bowlers. It came down to the opposition needed 4 runs off the last ball with 2 wickets left and new batsman facing. Poor kid got hit in the stomach and down he went.

Next week they play the major premiers for the championship, they are undefeated all season! Their weak spot is they rely on 6 very good players. They overuse those players all season and dont give other less talented kids as much of a go. No other team plays it like that and that is why they are undefeated major premiers.

If our bowlers can get the top 4 out cheap next week and see off their 2 good pace bowlers the rest of their players wont know what hit them.

Good start to the season ...

Over - Runs - Wickets
1 - 1 - 1
3 - 17 - 1
2 - 8 - 2

Though I had to reduce my speed quite a bit as the wickets are playing slow and low.

Good start to the season ...

Over - Runs - Wickets

1 - 1 - 1
3 - 17 - 1
2 - 8 - 2

Though I had to reduce my speed quite a bit as the wickets are playing slow and low.

Great start. Those early season wickets are critical if you want to impress. Strike rate is sensational.

Hyderabad India
are hence the start of the season being now. I'll have a look on Google maps of what it's like out that way. Another bloke on here from India posted up some images of where he played, interesting stuff seeing where you play your cricket in India, I'm always amazed at the amount of people and their enthusiasm of there!

View attachment 133
Is it compulsory to have the left hand on your left thigh as seen in the picture. If so what is its significance ?

Good Question Saradhy. I think of it as bracing the non bowling arm and using the left thigh to help? Someone who can explain the biomechanics (come in doctortran) would be good, but I know what you mean, it is in all the classic legspin actions.

Last game of the season tomorrow for my sons team and a huge game in store. Championship game and chance for promotion to the 1st div Comp. Big crowd, rep selectors, top umpires, best grounds, it should be good.

I know my young bloke has the best bowling figures for a spin bowler in the comp and the coach has told him he will be a key bowler tomorrow but i wont mind if the pace attack get all the wickets and he doesn't even bowl. A win would propel the whole team up the cricket ladder in this district.

All I know is he is ready. He is in top form and spinning it big and accurately and with a nice shape to it. Plus he is doing it faster than the other spinners in this comp. I mean he is a slow bowler but he has some real oomph to his bowling now.

Legbreaks and topspinners is 99% of what he bowls in matches and tomorrow will be no different. He bowled one wrongun last week and it beat the batsman and keeper, it just missed the stumps. I heard a grandad say "Strewth, he's got a wrongun too!" and i thought yeah, stick around he's got a flipper and slider as well mate.

My sons team just won the u/14 div 2 grand final with 7 overs to spare! They beat the undefeated all season comp leaders and will be up for promotion to div 1 next season.

Jimmys coach surprised everyone by opening the bowling with legspin. It didn't quite work though and 3 overs for 12 runs would be his worst spell all year. Overpitched a bit and he felt strange opening the bowling, something he has never done in 7 years of junior club cricket.

There was a lot of spinners opening the bowling in the bigbash t20 but we had no idea coach was going to try it in the grand final. I probably would have bought a new ball last week and let him have a practise if i had known.

Our pace attack was great today. They just kept it on offstump and a good length and made it hard to score.

Our player stats have not been fully entered and if they dont get added then we might not get promoted up. And we know from past experiences at other clubs you are never guaranteed 100% your spot in the firsts. Luckily for legspinners if you are any good you can keep your spot. But you have to work hard at it all year round.

A few parents dont want to go up to div1 because it has longer games and maybe our team is not quite there yet. I would like to see them have a chance on the good turf wickets of ist grade but another year of consolidating in div2 might be a good thing. You do see a few teams going up to div1 too soon over the years. Parents push the move up and import better players from other clubs etc to get promotion for the team but it often ends in relegation at seasons end. And its snakes and ladders, you go up one grade on promotion, you go back 2 grades on demotion.

Dont have to worry about that now, just a few quiet beers to celebrate.

Congratulations to Jimmy's team. Macca, I think they have built up a bit of a following on the other side of the world thanks to your regular updates. As a coach I can understand him wanting to open with Jimmy for all sorts of reasons but not to tell him in advance (even if he had to ask you to keep it off the boards) is probably the first time he has really got one wrong this season. You might argue that it turned out for the best and although you dont think much to 12 off 3 it was probably the distruption it caused the rest of the innings that the coach was looking for, but he has to give him the heads up, even if it was just something he was considering in the build up.

Anyway, we are now starting to get our junior fixtures through and are well into pre-season so I will have plenty of my own coaching choices to make (and get wrong) in the coming months.

It's extremely rare that I will disagree with Tony and in a perfect World I probably wouldn't now. :D

However, having managed a team from the age of 6 through to 16 I can count on one hand here in the UK when the conditions were right to open with spin and when they were we just had to do it. ;)

All credit to Jimmy that he stood up and gave his best AND all credit to his coach for his faith. If you move up to good turf the conditions will be even more variable which, in a way, will focus Jimmy more in his training as he could be called up to open any time.

Tony is absolute right to say 12 off 3 were good figures against the top bowlers. I would be enormously proud if one of my spinners produced those figures; it's a totally different ball game as opener. Enjoy the beers!

Nice one Jimmy! I'd be more than happy to go for 4 an over so probably would Xavier Doherty! Sounds good, I hope Jimmy gets in the 1sts and gets to play on the grass wickets! Looking forward to next season already!

Thanks folks. A grand final win is a good antidote to the sadness at the end of another cricket season.

I had given up on a premiership for jimmys team this season because they finished 3rd on the table. So now we have to consider the real possibility of playing 1st grade next season.

I am pretty sure he will make the firsts team at the club again, but no guarantees because what happens is rep players in clubs on the way down look to transfer to teams on the way up.

warne12.png

@ macca and @ dave how can I get the ball to spin square i want the ball to spin as shown in the picture,currently me seam is 45 degree towards slips. How can achieve this type of seam position ??

View attachment 134

@ macca and @ dave how can I get the ball to spin square i want the ball to spin as shown in the picture,currently me seam is 45 degree towards slips. How can achieve this type of seam position ??

You really need to bowl both seam posies and the one with topspin more often then the pure sidespinner but to get the square seam you need to have the hand in the right plane as it lets go. For that square seamer it has to be like the traffic cops hand stopping a car. Compared to karate chop for the backspinner.

Often it is bowled a bit faster bit more roundarm and later release. Good chance it wont bounce as much and more likely to hit stumps. More a variation for us I suppose because we like topspin on most deliveries.

My son bowls square seamers a fair bit though, but not always on purpose. I reckon it was a square seamer that he bowled this kid behind his legs with back in december. Way down legside the batsman decided not to play a shot but it spun back hit the back of his legs and onto the stumps.

As Macca says it's a case of knowing how your wrist is presented in the bowling action. I can't bowl it at will at any pace, messing around and practicing up against a wall I can get the ball coming out at 90 degrees, but with full effort it rarely comes out of the hand right, not that it matters that much as it'll still be a leg break. It think if you're looking to bowl it and you don't seem to be getting anywhere with it, perhaps think in terms of trying to bowl the Orthodox back-spinner and you may find the ball comes out at 90 degrees.

Back