Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Sounds good Macca, it's a shame you haven't got the resources to video the spinners on both teams and edit it together to make a video every now and then, it'd be great to see.

Yeah, it would be very good to see.

Interesting to see there were as many as 7 wrist spinners giving it a go. Would have been interesting to see the left arm wrist spinner bowling, especially against that decent left-handed bat.

Faster through the air and off the pitch. That's what you want to see.

Bowled three good overs today indoors. Little bit of turn, plenty of drift, mixture of leg breaks and off breaks. Mixed up my speed, line and length on a ball to ball basis.
The important thing to do indoors is stay one step ahead of the batsman, and always bowl the ball they're not looking for. Think I went for less than a run a ball, which is pretty good.

The important thing to do indoors is stay one step ahead of the batsman, and always bowl the ball they're not looking for. Think I went for less than a run a ball, which is pretty good.

Have to say, I've not played indoors other than some basic indoor netting. I think that's fairly sound advice for all cricket, to stay one step ahead of the batter. I've said this before, but it is easy to get too involved with the technique of bowling leg spin when playing, instead of focusing on beating the batsman. That's certainly an issue I've had in the past. I almost forgot about getting the batsman out whilst focusing on bowling good leg spin. You see some very odd leg spinners with ordinary actions, but they get wickets because they are staying one step ahead of the batter. There's no point in looking the part if you're getting hit to all parts.

Have to say, I've not played indoors other than some basic indoor netting. I think that's fairly sound advice for all cricket, to stay one step ahead of the batter. I've said this before, but it is easy to get too involved with the technique of bowling leg spin when playing, instead of focusing on beating the batsman. That's certainly an issue I've had in the past. I almost forgot about getting the batsman out whilst focusing on bowling good leg spin. You see some very odd leg spinners with ordinary actions, but they get wickets because they are staying one step ahead of the batter. There's no point in looking the part if you're getting hit to all parts.

Its funny, I think the strategy of indoor bowling has more in similar with baseball pitching than bowling a 10 over spell outdoors. You're not particularly interested in taking wickets, you're just trying to get through 18 deliveries without the batsman really squaring one up or giving away too many wides. So you kind of nibble around the edges - a full quick wide delivery here, a slower back of the length ball on legstump here. They can smash you as hard as they like sideways, as long as you don't let them hit you straight.

Its funny, I think the strategy of indoor bowling has more in similar with baseball pitching than bowling a 10 over spell outdoors. You're not particularly interested in taking wickets, you're just trying to get through 18 deliveries without the batsman really squaring one up or giving away too many wides. So you kind of nibble around the edges - a full quick wide delivery here, a slower back of the length ball on legstump here. They can smash you as hard as they like sideways, as long as you don't let them hit you straight.

Our indoor comp is a lot like baseball in that we have three strikes out and double plays. Caught and bowled, then run out the non batsman is a good double play for spinners. It has struck me how indoor bowling mindset is like a baseball pitcher.

The 6 run penalty to the batting side if they lose a wicket means the bowling side can still win from way behind, even in the last over, if they can take wickets. Otherwise like you say, taking wickets is not the main thing. If you went for less than a run a ball you had a good game. If all the bowlers could do that you would win most games in our indoor comp.

i am a leg spinner, can anyone help me! my non bowling arm gets straight pointing towards the ground when i jump, is it fine or i will have to change it, i remember that a few days ago i bowled very well with the arm straight but now i am bowling very badly.

i am a leg spinner, can anyone help me! my non bowling arm gets straight pointing towards the ground when i jump, is it fine or i will have to change it, i remember that a few days ago i bowled very well with the arm straight but now i am bowling very badly.

I'm not sure I follow fully what is happening with your non-bowling arm. But I would say that your non-bowling arm is very important. You really do need that left arm be reasonably high as you land in your delivery stride, allowing you to pull down with that arm and aid rotation through the crease. It is generally a good idea to have that left arm bent, whether you are bowling spin or seam, to help keep balance. A straight arm is not good for balance.

It sounds as if you are in your delivery stride and your left arm is straight and pointing down. If this is the case, it is something you really do need to change. Many wrist spinners will tell you that the non-bowling arm is just as important as the bowling arm. It really is.

Try to have that non-bowling arm up and with the elbow pointing towards the batter. Pulling that arm down along the line of the stumps will help with the line you bowl and, just as importantly, it will help your rotation.

but i b
I'm not sure I follow fully what is happening with your non-bowling arm. But I would say that your non-bowling arm is very important. You really do need that left arm be reasonably high as you land in your delivery stride, allowing you to pull down with that arm and aid rotation through the crease. It is generally a good idea to have that left arm bent, whether you are bowling spin or seam, to help keep balance. A straight arm is not good for balance.

It sounds as if you are in your delivery stride and your left arm is straight and pointing down. If this is the case, it is something you really do need to change. Many wrist spinners will tell you that the non-bowling arm is just as important as the bowling arm. It really is.

Try to have that non-bowling arm up and with the elbow pointing towards the batter. Pulling that arm down along the line of the stumps will help with the line you bowl and, just as importantly, it will help your rotation.
but i bowled very well some days ago with the same thing

but i b

but i bowled very well some days ago with the same thing

Doesn't this prove the point cleanprophet is making? Sure, some days you can bowl well, but other days it's a problem. Better to get to the root of the problem and find a fundamentally sound technique that you can rely on every time you bowl.

On the other hand if you can get consistent results with your straight arm then leave it how it is but it seems to me it's holding you back, hence seeking help on here.

you
Doesn't this prove the point cleanprophet is making? Sure, some days you can bowl well, but other days it's a problem. Better to get to the root of the problem and find a fundamentally sound technique that you can rely on every time you bowl.

On the other hand if you can get consistent results with your straight arm then leave it how it is but it seems to me it's holding you back, hence seeking help on here.
you may be right but i have seen many bowlers with a straight arm and they are very good bowlers like shahid afridi and rahul sharma. my left arm may not be the problem but something else.thanks for your reply

it seems that my follow through is a problem, my left arm forms a L shape when i push back, and i feel uncomfortable with that.can you please solve this problem

Try grabbing onto your ear with your non bowling arm and not letting go until you're in your follow through.

it seems that my follow through is a problem, my left arm forms a L shape when i push back, and i feel uncomfortable with that.can you please solve this problem

As always, the best way to solve a problem like that is to do it over and over and over again until you are used to it. Nothing any bowler does when he is bowling is comfortable or natural. Practice and repetition makes it more comfortable and natural.

As always, the best way to solve a problem like that is to do it over and over and over again until you are used to it. Nothing any bowler does when he is bowling is comfortable or natural. Practice and repetition makes it more comfortable and natural.
i saw a few videos of anil kumble and i observed that the non bowling arm goes straight through in the follow through, but in my case it forms a L shape and my momentum is gone.

Finally had my first game of the season after quite a few cancellations due to rain, bowled OK against a weak team on a concrete based artificial (haven't bowled on one of those in a while), the game had been reduced to 35 overs from 50 with a delayed start as the area around the wicket was soaked.

Due to having almost no preseason I had to hold back from giving the ball a rip every time as the first few deliveries had made my spinning finger pretty raw. Bowled in tandem with the protege at the other end, we tied up both ends and picked up 5 wickets between us (protege 7-2-10-2, me 7-1-20-3). Our bowling innings got off to a strange start with our opening bowler having a complete meltdown in the first over, he ended up only bowling 2 legitimate deliveries as he bowled numerous no-balls and wides and he had to be taken off due to 2 beamers. The replacement seamer was no better as he bowled wide after wide, between the 2 of them they conceded 13 wides and 6 no balls in 2.2 overs! By the time the protege got thrown the ball the opposition was 65-1 off 11 overs chasing 157, when we had both finished our spells they were 101-6 off 27 overs so a job well done (I started a couple of overs after him at the other end).

Protege's wickets were due to solid bowling and again shows why he will be playing 1sts when the 2-day stuff comes around, after a series of overspin legbreaks he bowled an undercut legbreak that went under the attempted back away & cut and took the off bail, the 2nd wicket was a first baller LBW to a slider with the batsman thinking his first ball would just be a standard legbreak. He is the best bowler in the grade and now he has his leg break back proper he is a better player than last year where he was our club player of the year.

Despite bowling I'd say at 70% I was happy with my wickets. First wicket came after a series of gentle legbreaks in my first over before giving one a genuine rip and getting the edge to the keeper. Second was an over of getting the batsman in a tangle by varying the flight before taking his leg stump with a slider as he attempted a panicky slog sweep. The third was mainly down to a spectacular catch at midwicket but I felt I'd earned it after having the batsman chop and inside the edge the ball past the stumps 5 times as well as nearly having him stumped twice. Finished my spell with a googly into the batsman's groin, a bit mean but I was tired :)

Sounds like a very solid effort for the first bowl of the season. Especially when you consider that you came on at 65-1 after 11 overs. The young leg spinner sounds very promising indeed. It's a great bonus to be able to bowl in tandem with a quality bowler.

The quicker balls again proving effective for both of you. That undercut legbreak sounds interesting. Does he bowl it as it sounds, by ripping his finger under the ball?

Sounds like a very solid effort for the first bowl of the season. Especially when you consider that you came on at 65-1 after 11 overs. The young leg spinner sounds very promising indeed. It's a great bonus to be able to bowl in tandem with a quality bowler.

The quicker balls again proving effective for both of you. That undercut legbreak sounds interesting. Does he bowl it as it sounds, by ripping his finger under the ball?
Exactly like that but obviously it is a subtle change in angle moving it from overspun to undercut/underspun. It proved so effective last year on the soft early season wickets that he had lost his overspun legbreak all together by the end of the season, we did a lot of work with him getting the feel of the differences in body position, getting over his pivot leg, grip etc between the 2 deliveries so now he can bowl both on the same spot at will.

In his way at the moment is a steady left arm spinner in the 1st team but that guy will be going on his OE after this season which will leave the door open for the young leggie.

Back