Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

i know i write some long posts, but this one has ended up a little ridiculous. ive got to post it in 2 installments because ive reached the 1 post character limit :D

Chippyben, a few things that jumped out at me from looking at the new videos...

you lean to the left too much. its not necessarily a bend to the left though, your entire stance leans over. id say thats a balance issue. if you watch where you land your front foot, it steps across a fair amount. youre trying to get very side on, but having seen your original videos you are naturally a more front-on bowler. i think that trying to get so side on, in combination with the front foot placement and a long front stride, means that you lose balance and fall away to the left. maybe try taking less of a front stride and stepping across less and see if that helps. you look a fairly well built bloke, but theres also every possibility your core isnt strong enough and its failing to support the rest of your body. im not a small guy, although quite scrawny, and my core is pretty awful. so dont rule it out.

your bowling arm is very high, youre always going to struggle for side spin with such a high action, but you should find overspin easy, and a top spinner and googly variation should come more naturally. but it might restrict you in future. on the other hand though, if you can do away with the leaning to the left then your arm will naturally become a bit rounder. and also it may only be so high because of balance in the first place.

you over rotate at the end of the action, and you rotate too late at the start of the action. in the videos shot from behind the first delivery has a decent rotation, your timing isnt bad, you seem to get the weight forward early, and your hip and shoulder alignment look decent. the lower body still lags behind a little i think. but you have a massive over rotation at the end of the action, hence your feet hitting into each other. youre over compensating. on the 2nd delivery your lower body lags miles behind, the upper body runs away on its own and then the legs catch up afterwards. this will set you up for injuries for sure, it was the root cause of all my injury niggles. the fix was/is a lot more complicated though. you need to focus on driving your hips through the action, which is harder than it sounds, and will result in your weight being a lot more forward in the action at the point of release. you should be up onto your front toes before the ball leaves the hand, and then you should rotate through on the toes. you also need to focus on staying more upright (as mentioned above). the 2 will complement each other. worry less about the "leg drive" because its basically irrelevant. you cant just push off from the back foot and magically fix everything, if you actually focus on the back foot then you will more likely get it all wrong because it has to be instinctive. imagine Brett Lee pounding in to bowl a 95mph delivery. he has a massive leg drive, but do you think he has time to think about it at the speed he is travelling? it happens because his core technique is solid, fix the basics before trying to tag that on to the back of your action. i know doctortran preaches endlessly about the leg drive, and its probably an important feature of a bowling action, but its not something you can add on. its something that comes about naturally through perfecting the technique elsewhere. driving the leg at present isnt going to help any of the other problems, if anything it will highlight them more. you dont need to add more power, you need better technique, which will result in more power anyway. i made the mistake of trying to artificially bowl faster last year and ended up going backwards by about 3 months in my development. going back to basics and slowing things down resulted in the same bowling speed, spin and power with much less effort, and now im building the effort back in and the results are excellent.

i dont think your front leg braces enough. you take a BIG front stride, to the point that you land on your toes as you have observed. your hips dont drive through, your upper body does. the foot comes back down to flat. you release the ball with your weight back on your heel, your leg very bent and still flexing slightly, and your upper body bending at the hips to delivery the ball. THEN, you drive your back leg through which you are consciously trying to add on to the action, and the natural momentum brings the hips through too late, and then your weight goes up onto the toes as you over-rotate to finish. that sequence needs to be more like front stride, hips and upper body driving through in unison. up onto toes with a more upright trunk as you release the ball. the hips and upper body continue to drive through, the hips and shoulders are aligned so that the lower body rotates in unison with the upper body over the toes, and then rotate to finish.

the above is all pretty harsh and critical, more so than i intended it to sound lol. your action is making improvements in certain areas, but ultimately it isnt progressing forwards, its going sideways (almost literally lol). i think you are maybe focussing too much on creating the perfect action, rather than just developing what youve already got. youre trying to add more pace and power before sorting the basics. basically trying to run before you can walk. and as someone else that already tried that, i cant stress enough how frustrated this is going to leave you in about 3-6 months time when your consistency drops away (if it is ever there to begin with) and you cant find any kind of rhythm from session to session, especially if you get injured in the meantime!

the first thing i would recommend is to go and see a sports therapist. it was literally the most useful £35 ive ever spent on anything cricket related. 90% of the problems in my action can be partly attributed to physical deficiencies which i am now working on in the gym and in my bowling practice. of course there is no substitute for good technique, which i am working on equally as hard, but technique is always going to be limited by your physical capacity, and in my case i have a worryingly weak core and thus my balance and rotation in my action are almost impossible to perfect without strengthening the muscles that control them. there were also a couple of areas which left "untreated" (my treatment is a gym resistance program) could have resulted in career ending injuries somewhere down the line. i have some fairly major muscle imbalances as a direct result of my bowling action. and unless i fix those imbalances its going to be rather difficult to have a balanced action. and thus you end up in a vicious cycle.

then the next thing i would say is to work on one thing at a time, and to keep the action as uncomplicated as possible. you have to realise here that theres every possibility your bowling will go down the toilet for a few months, and it may ruin your season. its for the greater good though. i started out bowling off of 1 step, without actually releasing the ball 90% of the time. i would just go through the action in slow motion, observing everything. id do this 3 or 4 times without releasing the ball, then id release the ball at about 70% speed, not caring where it landed, just trying to ensure that everything was aligned and balanced and doing what it should be (as an indicator of how useful this was, even though i was putting no focus into where the ball went or what it did, more often than not it would land on middle stump on a good length, drift in big and turn away bigger!!). i did that for 2 or 3 sessions without really bowling a proper delivery, apart from a few overs at the end to see if it had helped. i progressed very quickly though because i recognised the problems i had. then i would start my sessions this way, and just build up to a 3 step approach. as soon as i bowled a couple of balls wrong id go back to basics again, just building up all the time, trying to force the muscles to remember their role. eventually after maybe 3-4 weeks of a few 2-3 hour sessions per week i felt i was back to bowling at the same intensity as before, but with a much more solid basic technique. i played a couple of matches in between as it was near the end of the season and just kept things simple, and bowled the best i ever had. then it got to indoor season last month and i played really well in the first pair of matches, despite being a little rusty. my action comes back fairly naturally now. if i was able to make time to practice 2-3 times a week (weather is no longer permitting in the UK and indoor practice costs big money) like i do during the summer then id probably be doing even better. the prospects for next season are looking fantastic.

continued in the next post....

...continued from post above...

in terms of the actual things you need to work on, driving the hips through, and staying upright are top of the list. you can only really focus on one at a time, and staying upright probably comes first as it will automatically incorporate the hip drive anyway. this is where bowling off of 1 step in slow motion is really helpful because you can identify every issue. its a LOT harder than it sounds to resolve though! you wont be able to stay upright unless you sort the rotation at the same time, youll always want to tilt to the side to compensate. i would place my back foot square on to the wicket and briefly pause, then lift my front foot up and forward whilst moving my arms as i would when bowling. id then try to plant the front foot facing fine leg (invariably it would twist itself to facing down the pitch, but this isnt a problem, ive embraced my front on action now and no longer even try to be a side on bowler). then id slowly transfer my weight forwards over the front foot, get up onto my toes, rotate my body in unison, and deliver the ball. do that enough times and youll get the hang of it. at the same time, you need to focus on keeping your body more upright, which is what complicates it. after a while youll figure it out, make sure youve got a camcorder on you the whole time so you can go back through it later. when i bowled a delivery that i felt was good (in the action itself, rather than the end result), id give the thumbs up to the camera so i could check that specific delivery later to see if it looked how it felt.

now i pretty much know when ive hooked it all up. it doesnt feel anything like my bowling did before, it actually feels like im doing it "wrong", its a weird feeling action, but the end result speaks for itself! the legs and arms will do as much in the action as they did before (when looking at the action), e.g. legs will kick up and out, arms will rotate round strongly. however when youre actually bowling, the arms and legs feel like they do very little (even though on camera they still do the same amount). thats when you know youre somewhere close. everything is a lot smoother and less effort, but the end result is more impressive than anything i bowled before. i had a practice one evening this week and the drift and turn were ridiculous at the end when i got it all hooked up. im playing indoors tonight and i absolutely cant wait!!

Check out 1chippyben at youtube. There are 2 videos from the 7 November. I have been bowling really well lately but I have tried to get big drive from my back leg and through the crease this week and it is taking a bit to get it all coordinated and I am still out of sync a lot of the time. I find when I try and drive with my back leg and pull down with my leading arm to get power through the action I tend to rush ahead with my bowling arm. I'm getting there though and the extra pace and spin I get is well worth persisting with.

I videoed myself last week and whilst bowling well I noticed I was leaning way to the left which in turn raised my bowling arm to the vertical or just past it. A bit like the video of Mishra Sadspinner linked a few posts ago. I have been trying to get my weight further to the right. I have noticed in the video I am again falling into my old habit of stepping across myself. If you look at the first ball on the video from behind you will see I really try and push through the action and get a bit off balance on the follow through.

Another thing I have noticed when driving with the back leg the front foot tends to land on the toes then the heel goes down and then back up onto the toes again. I noticed this is how Warnes foot lands too. When I don't drive through my heel lands first and then rolls up onto the toes just like running. Can someone tell me the significance or this?
Another thing I have been trying is to keep my head and therefore weight centered over my bodyas per doctortrans previous posts.
Tips are most welcome and one of Doctortrans brilliant analysis's would be greatly appreciated.

Jeez -- I might need to start getting paid for this. Haha!

I love how much more rhythmical your action has become. Those arms and legs moving together have worked a treat.

From progress reports i've read of your bowling lately, and from what i've seen of your action on video -- fundamentally sound. Now really it's about tweaking and getting that little extra to get "extra-ordinary". Three things to work on. Getting more power over your front leg, getting better posture through the crease, and slightly better alignment on follow-through.

Warne to Kohli: Big dip and turn. Can't get to the pitch and stumped. 0:18
warneyoverthefrontleg.jpg

Notice the black arrow. Look at that front leg. Warney has followed through and that leg is straight and angled forward. That takes A LOT of power. So much that even Mitchell Starc who played in Game 3 of SL vs Australia at the Gabba has been told to strengthen his front knee to bowl faster. We leg spinners don't have to run in that hard so we have an advantage one that we have to take.

followthrough1.jpg

Take a look at your front leg. You brace up nicely during your action and you even bring your right waist all the way through before delivery, but you don't power through completely. Get the knee straight... perhaps the image below will help illustrate

Your knee here is good. But as you progress through your action you want to get that knee straight so that you transfer energy forward!
furtherillustration.jpg

furtherillustration1.jpg

See the beautiful angelic glow. That's where there thighs and waist should be. Red = evil or not so good. This should happen just before after ball release and still be visible during follow through.

Not to out do Jim, but here is the second part as I've gone over the image limit.... well the limit for the previous forum set up was 4 and i don't right now feel like seeing an error message. ;)

Part 2... posture.
A common misconception about bowling is that leaning forward will increase power. True... but not before ball release. Before ball release you actually want to be balanced so that your weight naturally moves backward to forward. If you lean forward beforehand you aren't standing tall at the crease, and you are decreasing the force accelerating forward.

i.e. if you stand tall your weight backward is represented as say -0.5. When you release and your weight is as forward as possible say +1.0 then your change in weight front back to forward is 1.5.... and what is change in weight related to? FORCE AND ACCELERATION! If you stand with your weight forward let us represent that as +0.1 and then you release and your weight forward is 1.0 then your change in weight is 0.9. A small difference in acceleration can be obviously noticed. It really is the difference between a baseball pitcher throwing at 90 mph rather than bowling at 100 mph consistently (e.g. Josh Beckett). This example is powerful as when you reach the higher velocities you work harder for each extra mile per hour gained. 10 mph between 90mph to 100 mph might mean the power difference of 75mph to 90mph.....

posture.jpg

Before you bowl you are already aligned on the red evil line rather than the transcendent yellow line (sorry for the terrible pun). You maintain that alignment all the way to ball release. You are missing the opportunity of natural power. Posture strangely enough actually has more than social etiquette applications!

This ties in well with the idea of getting right over your front foot -- i.e. the last thing I talked about. At MER or maximum external rotation a huge amount of weight transfer occurs. The movement of your front knee from being behind your toes to being in front of your toes (this is another way to think of it) represents a huge transfer from back to front. Maximize balance, and power to the back before MER to maximise acceleration and hence force that occurs when your knee goes over your toes at MER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtO_heUUvE (0:25)
posture1.jpg

Warney still young in his action does tilt his body forward perhaps a bit early. In fact he's done it all his career. This is perhaps to maintain his speed at around 80 kph. However all the same around the same position as chippyben above... posture is still better! I suppose you can't really complain being slightly worse than Shane Warne at leg spin bowling though.

It is now 2:17 AM. I really need to get paid for this. haha... i'll keep you in suspense for tomorrow for my final section.

Until then have fun.

Hey Jim cant you find an old , i dunno, derelict wharehouse or somewhere that you could mark out a pitch with jumbo chailk and practise for free in winter? We found an old netball court with a roof for wet weather training.

Places like that in the UK these days are impossible to find. Far too many people all on top of each other in the UK, there's not a chance. Everyone is trying to screw everyone else for every penny that they can. With old buildings there's the chance that an accident will create a suing opportunity, so therefore security guards are used and places are boarded up and stuff. It just doesn't happen. If you're extremely lucky and you know a farmer or something you might be very lucky or if your relatives are a caretaker of a school and they've got access to sports hall, but I'm talking a million to one chance.

Thanks guys, a lot to digest there. Isn't cricket (and leg spin)a great thing when blokes you've never met will put in so much time and effort to help a bloke out. I'll definately have to supply a few cartons of beer for xmas for you guys. Swan lager doctortran?? Badgers Best Jim ???
I was late for work this morning because I was reading the posts.
I have a big double mirrored door wardrobe at home and Ive done a lot of work in front of it trying to get my mind seeing what my body is doing.( Just like the standing start drill really) Until the videos I was working on getting my hips and shoulders rotating in unison and saw on the video great results but not much power in the action. These videos were me trying to put a lot more power in the action which inevitabley threw out a bit of my rhythm.
With regards to leaning to the left Ive tried to improve that and tried to copy Beau Casson a bit by bending over from the hips and keeping my back straight(sticking my arse out). I think I just need to rotate bowling arm at a lower angle.
I have been thinking Push and Pull. Push with my back leg and then Pull with my leading arm coming down strongly and pulling myself over the braced front leg. At the moment I am trying to get my coordination right and find it really hard not to rush ahead with my bowling arm and throwing everything out.
Couldn't get to the nets tonight because of a storm to try a few things unfortunately. Looking forward to Doctortrans final instalment if you have the time mate and I'll let all know how Im getting on over the next few days as there is a lot to think about.

Final installment... isn't this exciting.

It's about the follow through and actually the same thing as what I commented about Steve Smith -- funnily enough chippyben's is often better! :eek:

followthrough.jpg

See the Black line. You are balanced around it... quite good. However the thighs, and shin together are heavier than the foot. So what we want is either a straight leg or that thigh to be as close to in line with the black line. i.e. red line closer in angle to black line.

This might take a bit of getting used to but it shouldn't require flexibility work-- ok come on now you can't be that old and that stiff... Together this means better lines, better lengths, better spin, better drift... all the nice things that Warney says happens with leg drive.

63421199.png

i love finger spin as much as wrist spin so I included Jim Laker. Grimmett in the bottom left, Benaud in the bottom right (the great bob simpson catch), warne to Pietersen in the top right (bowled him!), Jim Laker in the top left (Bowled Maddocks... actually Benaud being bowled is just about the same).

Different approaches but same control. Grimmett and Benaud more upright, and Laker and Warne more tilted. Finger Spinners need to tilt more to find the same amount of spin. Not surprisingly looking at the effort put in... Warne probably put the most revolutions on the ball. I had Kumble, MacGill, Swann, and Murali also in mind who have the same common follow but youtube videos often have the umpire in the way. I'm sure these 4 great spinners are satisfactory examples though. Add great fast bowlers like McGrath and Akram and things start getting ridiculously obvious.

Get the shoulder over the left leg (which you do)... and then get that right leg (or right thigh at least) in a straight line with the head. Here is one time that being lazy actually gives you better results than overworking.

Macca - as Dave said, finding disused buildings that you can actually get access to is easier said than done. there are plenty around, where i live half the industrial units in town are empty!! but security is high, and if you get caught you can pretty much guarantee youll get arrested for it, harmless fun or not. farms are a better bet, but get caught on a farm and theres a chance youll get shot instead lol. plus the issue of lighting (or lack thereof). im sure theres somewhere around here that would be perfect for it though, il keep my eyes peeled, i hadnt really thought of using random disused buildings. the best place would be a derelict petrol station or something, with the covered part where the pumps are to keep it all dry, and a building to stop balls at the other end! i dont mind the cold so much, i just cant bowl in the rain. or in the dark lol.

chippyben - the push and pull method may work, or it may not, but ultimately you shouldnt be relying on your leading arm and back leg to generate the power, they are just power adders. the inherent power in the action comes from the core, and the whole body working in unison. id try not to get too hung up on those 2 specific parts of the action too early in development, they will come into play a lot more as your basic technique improves.

I played indoor last night. my bowling wasnt as good as i hoped for, i got a wicket with the last ball of my spell in game 1, and didnt get any in game 2. we were playing 2 of the best teams in the league though, and before the game i gave us little chance of winning. i didnt see my figures, but i reckon i was equally as expensive as last week (which isnt bad given the higher standard of opposition), but importantly i only bowled 1 wide, and probably 4 or 5 drag down no balls. i landed most of my deliveries on a solid line and length, but the batsmen were just tucking me into gaps for 3 runs all the time. i personally let at least 4 sixes past me (i need to work on fielding the ball on the return, im never ready for it), and mid-on and mid-off let a few past as well. i got dropped at point for what would have been an awesome wicket caught off the edge. had a stumping possibly missed (the batsman got his foot back very quickly), and had a few balls miss edges by agonising amounts. so not horrendous. i never even found my rhythm in my 2 sets of 3 overs.

my fielding was average. i let some runs past me that i should have stopped, pretty much all off my own bowling as well to add insult to injury! i dropped one catch but it was a rocket, ive got the bruised thumb today to prove it lol.

my batting however was a revelation! against 2 of the best sides in the league, one of whom is the B team for an ECB premier league club, and had some players that have played premier league cricket in it! i came in at number 4 against them fairly early on (number 1 batsman had got his 25 and retired) and faced their best bowler first ball. 3 runs and off strike. then i had a streaky couple of overs before i got my eye in and hit back to back 6's. we needed about 40 off 3 overs prior to that over, and i hit 14 and then had to retire. next batsman got out cheaply, then number 1 went back in the pressure led to them bowling lots of extras. number 6 got run out with 7 balls left and i came back in. hit a 3 first ball and retained the strike. then hit 3 more runs to win the match chasing a pretty big total against one of the best teams in the league!! weve got their A team in 3 weeks time though lol. in the other game i batted at 6 and got a useful 12 runs at the end in quick time, then we were solid in the bowling and they couldnt catch our total.

so i think ive cemented myself as a genuine all rounder indoors. im probably the 2nd best fielder, on a good day i can be the best bowler and even on a bad day im not horrendous, and my batting is looking pretty good too! :D

And just for fun... after reading my post what do you think is wrong with this delivery stride/follow through.

Extra points for guessing the result and the famous occassion of this delivery.

steveharmison.png

Hint the bowler is tall.
2nd Hint: The batsman is short.
3rd Hint: Who normally gathers the ball after a batsman leaves it? Then forget this idea.

it looks like its a no ball by about 2 yards. so does it drop a little short and end up disappearing over the boundary for 6 byes or something?

i got a call up for the indoor first team tonight (probably based more on lack of availability than outright talent lol, but il take it either way). they play in the premier league of our area, sitting bottom at present i believe. its a serious division though, we're playing the top of the league team tonight who have won 3 in 3. they are the best indoor team of a side that spends their saturdays playing ECB southern electric premier league div 1 cricket!! so there should be some pretty serious players in their side, possibly a couple of the same players we beat last night! i might regret the sledging later after i started hitting sixes yesterday.... :D

Its Harmison bowling that atrocious wide that started the last ashes campaign here last time me thinks. Really set the tone for the whole series didn't it!!
Some of those lines you draw on the bowlers body for the follow through would need 90 degree bends in them!

I've been sorted through my cricket vids on the computer and was just about to delete the ones of me and Jim on my paddock last spring when I thought - I know what I'll edit them and bung em on you tube! They'll be on my youtube site in a while. You'll have to excuse my batting - I am a No.11 after all and totally useless. The bowlings not up to much either! Good for a laugh though!

They're there now, but they may still be processing, you can access them via the link below.

I've been sorted through my cricket vids on the computer and was just about to delete the ones of me and Jim on my paddock last spring when I thought - I know what I'll edit them and bung em on you tube! They'll be on my youtube site in a while. You'll have to excuse my batting - I am a No.11 after all and totally useless. The bowlings not up to much either! Good for a laugh though!

They're there now, but they may still be processing, you can access them via the link below.

haha 0:57 sweep shot from well outside off for probably 4 runs :D i said id sweep from anywhere, i never realised i was that far over when i played that shot though. its my trademark shot, ive started doing it against seamers now as well.

some of my batting looks utterly horrendous, but in my defence the bounce wasnt always entirely predictable! (the first ball highlights that quite well lol). there were a few that just did me, but a few that caught me totally by surprise. mostly balls when i end up jumping back or sideways to get bat on ball lol. a few of the edges did die a bit off the pitch. my walk forward front foot defense to the wrong'un was a decent shot, i cant remember if i picked it out of the hand or just reacted to it, it looks like i just adjusted, it was a bit short. next summer youve got to come down here and we will film a session on a net wicket. my club is looking to build 2 brand new net lanes for next season.

the video of my bowling was pretty poor. not my best bowling montage thats for sure. those videos were made in about May, which was right around the time that my bowling went down the toilet for 4 months. i was trying too hard to find pace and my technique fell apart. as is fairly obvious in the video lol. my bowling looks reasonably quick there though. just short and wide pretty much every ball, and i wasnt getting the ball to turn on that day, i never found my rhythm.

haha 0:57 sweep shot from well outside off for probably 4 runs :D i said id sweep from anywhere, i never realised i was that far over when i played that shot though. its my trademark shot, ive started doing it against seamers now as well.

some of my batting looks utterly horrendous, but in my defence the bounce wasnt always entirely predictable! (the first ball highlights that quite well lol). there were a few that just did me, but a few that caught me totally by surprise. mostly balls when i end up jumping back or sideways to get bat on ball lol. a few of the edges did die a bit off the pitch. my walk forward front foot defense to the wrong'un was a decent shot, i cant remember if i picked it out of the hand or just reacted to it, it looks like i just adjusted, it was a bit short. next summer youve got to come down here and we will film a session on a net wicket. my club is looking to build 2 brand new net lanes for next season.

the video of my bowling was pretty poor. not my best bowling montage thats for sure. those videos were made in about May, which was right around the time that my bowling went down the toilet for 4 months. i was trying too hard to find pace and my technique fell apart. as is fairly obvious in the video lol. my bowling looks reasonably quick there though. just short and wide pretty much every ball, and i wasnt getting the ball to turn on that day, i never found my rhythm.

Yeah that pitch certainly looked like a minefield,(Sorry Dave) that sweep shot is the sort of shot that really annoys a bowler thats for sure. Funny when you look back at the old vids and see how our actions have changed.

Has anyone had a go with a ball called an aggot. A mate lent me one today and I'll give it a go tomorrow hopefully. It is basically a squashed cricket ball and it is supposed to get you bowling with the correct seam position. Should be interesting.
www.theaggot.com

Back