Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

not a bad idea that. ive looked at just buying netting before and cable tying that to the frame (which doesnt get taken down, just the netting). but its a lot of effort if youre not leaving it there. you can get those golf nets cheaply enough, it will also encourage me to be more accurate lol. the other issue is that the run-up is grass, so its mud in winter. il probably have to practice at my old clubs ground. theyve got permanent nets. its just 20 mins drive each way.

Keep an eye for building sites that are nearing completion that have all that safety netting
SML+-+The+Paddock+May+22nd+2010+(2).jpg
like this. They'll probably give you as much as you want because they normally just chuck it away. Other than that - tarmace playgrounds and the like with Hockey balls is my recommendation.

Would improving the strength of your fingers, the forearm muscles, and your hand's grip strength increase the revs imparted on the ball?

Would it also make certain deliveries such as the flipper or the Iverson-Gleeson variation (for off spinners) easier to bowl?

Teesra;408219 said:
Would improving the strength of your fingers, the forearm muscles, and your hand's grip strength increase the revs imparted on the ball?

Would it also make certain deliveries such as the flipper or the Iverson-Gleeson variation (for off spinners) easier to bowl?

The problem is -- how would you do it? Pianists have tried for centuries to improve the length, strength, and power of their fingers. Using finger techniques, using finger stretching -- they only ever ended up mangling their hands. All they could do is improve technique and co-ordination of their hands.

How do you actually improve the strength of forearm muscles? Is there actually anything in the gym that specifically targets forearm strength, power and size? Only work, only performing indirect work will make your forearms stronger. Might as well go into the nets and bowl or bat if you want to build those forearms.

Finally hand grip strength. There are several theories -- grip it harder and you spin it differently. Grip it harder and you tense all up; suggesting relaxation and allowing your body to work for you improves rip and speed.

I don't know -- perhaps improving these things would help slightly. Yet all that might as well come from bowling in the nets and in real life situations! How else do you improve those facets?

doctortran;408220 said:
The problem is -- how would you do it? Pianists have tried for centuries to improve the length, strength, and power of their fingers. Using finger techniques, using finger stretching -- they only ever ended up mangling their hands. All they could do is improve technique and co-ordination of their hands.

How do you actually improve the strength of forearm muscles? Is there actually anything in the gym that specifically targets forearm strength, power and size? Only work, only performing indirect work will make your forearms stronger. Might as well go into the nets and bowl or bat if you want to build those forearms.

Finally hand grip strength. There are several theories -- grip it harder and you spin it differently. Grip it harder and you tense all up; suggesting relaxation and allowing your body to work for you improves rip and speed.

I don't know -- perhaps improving these things would help slightly. Yet all that might as well come from bowling in the nets and in real life situations! How else do you improve those facets?

I bought myself a Powerball to help me strengthen my relatively puny arms and hands. Not totally sure how much of my development is the ball and how much is six months of bowling practise but it feels as if the ball is pretty effective.

Teesra;408219 said:

Bruce Dooland was one legspinner that developed his own hand strengthening exercises. Sqeezing squash balls was one of the things he came up with! He always had a rubber ball in his pocket. Even as a commando fighting japs in the jungle during WW2, he always carried a ball to muck around with.

Iverson also took a ball to the war, and he developed his own grip up in New Guinea, in between fighting the enemy. Man these guys were giants, legends....Iverson and Dooland.

Great pitch to bowl on here for checking if my kid is hitting the seam. The concrete has green pigment in it and it is real chalky so I can check the ball after every delivery and it leaves a little mark so i can see how often he is hitting the stitches. Over a few days and 30 overs i can say he hits the seam about 50%.

Spiderlounge;408229 said:
I bought myself a Powerball to help me strengthen my relatively puny arms and hands. Not totally sure how much of my development is the ball and how much is six months of bowling practise but it feels as if the ball is pretty effective.

exactly what i was about to suggest as well before seeing you beat me to it lol.

there is no substitute for just bowling, and id sooner spend my time spinning a ball between my hands. but when i first started out i used the Powerball daily for 5 mins at a time whenever i had a spare 5 mins. id just sit watching TV, or reading this forum lol.

make sure you get one with the digital readout though. its more fun.

When you start bowling flippers you will notice the stress it imparts on your forearms, because you have to hold the wrist in an odd manner with some of the variations and the still produce the exertion of a finger click that'll make the ball rotate. Benaud and others claim that you shoudn't attempt Flippers when you're young as the levels of exertion on the ligaments in the arm (I assume) are potentially damaging to younger developing bodies.

If you can get the ball to spin this much as an adult you're on your way YouTube - Clarrie Grimmett Flipper Wrist spin bowling A but to be honest I don't know how strong your forearms need to be and the strength in my fingers and forearms has been built by continuously flicking everything and anything that'll fit into my hand at every opportunity, every day. That and doing pull ups and rotational press ups.

Thanks for the replies guys. Regular practice with an actual cricket ball would be the best but the thing is I'm stuck in the USA till Dec/Jan. And the facilities are non-existent here. Plus the nearest (good) cricket club is 20-30 miles away. So I figured I'd work on other things that may indirectly make me a better bowler/batsman, even if a tiny bit better.

Thanks for the Powerball suggestion, I'll check it out. In my research I've found some good hand strengthening equipment. Check this out for example, it has pretty good reviews too. There are many others here too.

For forearms, you can find a few exercises on YouTube involving dumbbells. Pull-ups would be good too as Dave said.

I'll try flicking the ball from hand to hand daily too (like Dave shows in some of his videos). But I'll have to buy a cricket ball for that first, don't even have a tennis ball at home right now :p

Use anything - Apples are good - nice and solid and you can see how much your spinning them. I'm so obsessive I even do it at work and using an apple you can get away with it, as it just looks like you're just a regular bloke 'Flicking an apple' whereas if you go in with a cricket ball (And I did) you look like the local nutter!

Teesra;408301 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Regular practice with an actual cricket ball would be the best but the thing is I'm stuck in the USA till Dec/Jan. And the facilities are non-existent here. Plus the nearest (good) cricket club is 20-30 miles away. So I figured I'd work on other things that may indirectly make me a better bowler/batsman, even if a tiny bit better.

Thanks for the Powerball suggestion, I'll check it out. In my research I've found some good hand strengthening equipment. Check this out for example, it has pretty good reviews too. There are many others here too.

For forearms, you can find a few exercises on YouTube involving dumbbells. Pull-ups would be good too as Dave said.

I'll try flicking the ball from hand to hand daily too (like Dave shows in some of his videos). But I'll have to buy a cricket ball for that first, don't even have a tennis ball at home right now :p

Where are you at in the US? You can just buy three balls or one of those soft pvc balls and use it to bowl on concrete/grass/ basketball courts- anything really.

One day I went to the tennis courts to do a bit of bowling- It helps a lot because you have a target (net) which you have to cross to pitch it at all. Cuts out most of the short pitched stuff from your bowling

someblokecalleddave;408305 said:
Use anything - Apples are good - nice and solid and you can see how much your spinning them. I'm so obsessive I even do it at work and using an apple you can get away with it, as it just looks like you're just a regular bloke 'Flicking an apple' whereas if you go in with a cricket ball (And I did) you look like the local nutter!

Yeah as Peter Philpott says in his book "Apples and oranges should be spun too. Spin them a hundred times before you eat them, and they'll always taste a little better!" They do tend to get a bit bashed and bruised to start off with though ;)

Sadly my club didn't even wait three days from the end of the season to take the nets down, so now I've got to find somewhere else to practise over the winter. The garden's no good as the slope messes up my action.

someblokecalleddave;408396 said:
Yeah that was for Chippy Ben he lives in Sydney.

Ah but I grew up 300 miles from the sea so surfing not my thing, plus theres sharks out there!!!

Back