Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

this is terrific! everyone's unearthing some gems now. that blog i posted has some really great stuff:

http://jimpson.blogspot.com/2010/10/1993-ashes-series.html

its interesting seeing the ball of the century in context.he bowled fantastically all day. i remember watching it when i was ten and being astonished at this young aussie who was performing miracles with the ball. i distinctly remember him almost bowling gooch with a wrong un that turned an absolute mile. then he got out chipping a crappy full toss to mid on. you don't see the wrong un but you do see the ball he faced before he got out. and its a real beauty. unbelievable bowling.

http://jimpson.blogspot.com/2010/10/1995-australias-tour-of-west-indies.html

also can't wait to check out macgill and warne bowling together in SA. does anyone know where we can watch macgill bowling in the tour of Pakistan in 1998? does that footage even exist?

just been announced Hauritz is out and xavier doherty and steve smith are in the final 13!

Yeah and doherty is just a seatwarmer for o'keefe. Smith had to get picked if that ausA game meant anything, he was our best bat on day1 and best bowler on day3.

My kid didn't have to bowl to superbat today. That batsman has been upgraded and gone up an age-group.

So my sons team won easy. He only got two overs and went for 5runs. so cumulative its 15 2 4/39.

All sorts of regrades this week, dont know where we stand, but our club stuffed up the gradings at the beginning of the year and even though we are leading the comp now, they might not go up. It is complicated but doesn't matter because they are looking like getting a regrade at end of year for sure.

Hey dave, see if you can follow the links i gave you for my sons bowling career. If you find the link to his old club then go to last season you can get all his stats. You can see how much better he is bowling this year and it is all about the goldilocks length i call what he is bowling. Then he is landing within a few inches of the stump everytime. Varying the pace, legbreaks and topspinners and ocassional wrongun. Going for 2.5 an over and the only safe shot is a straight drive.

You can see by that how much he has improved in 20 months since i first started reading this thread. That and reading the philpott and grimmett books at the same time.

I picked up heaps of stuff about bowling from your goodself and peole like gundalf7, shrek, jim2019, goldenarm, sadspinner, edge of willow, doctortan, liz ward, TonyM, Virender, hope i have'nt forgotten anyone.

How is everyone ?
I'm looking to get back into training ahead of pre season (january) lol (think of it as Pre pre season) as I'm determined to get a real chance at bowling this year. Just the problem therefore is working out a location to practise ...
Macca, nice to see about the little un!
Dave, I look forward to the revamp!

Hey dave, see if you can follow the links i gave you for my sons bowling career. If you find the link to his old club then go to last season you can get all his stats. You can see how much better he is bowling this year and it is all about the goldilocks length i call what he is bowling. Then he is landing within a few inches of the stump everytime. Varying the pace, legbreaks and topspinners and ocassional wrongun. Going for 2.5 an over and the only safe shot is a straight drive.

You can see by that how much he has improved in 20 months since i first started reading this thread. That and reading the philpott and grimmett books at the same time.

I picked up heaps of stuff about bowling from your goodself and peole like gundalf7, shrek, jim2019, goldenarm, sadspinner, edge of willow, doctortan, liz ward, TonyM, Virender, hope i have'nt forgotten anyone.

Cheers Macca, I always think of you as being the resident expert on here, so it's nice to hear you've made sense of anything I'd said as I blunder my way through learning this stuff! I think you're lucky that you've got a lad that is so up for it and willing to put the time and effort in to listen to his Dad and he's lucky to have a Dad that's interested in helping him and suporting him.

It's nice to think that maybe between us all, people are able to make some sense of all our posts, we put a lot of effort into it and there's obviously people that look and read, but don't chip in. Despite that I reckon that the core group that you've listed as well as Mas Cambios, David Hinchcliffe and a bloke called Simbaz who were the main blokes on smaller forum that was taken over have all helped massively to develop all of us as bowlers. So it's nice to have someone like you who I think we all appreciate and respect for your efforts and knowledge on the subject to feedback that you feel that you and Jimmy have learnt from us all.

How is everyone ?
I'm looking to get back into training ahead of pre season (january) lol (think of it as Pre pre season) as I'm determined to get a real chance at bowling this year. Just the problem therefore is working out a location to practise ...
Macca, nice to see about the little un!
Dave, I look forward to the revamp!

Big job Steve, might be a few months yet, I'm getting bogged down with all the stuff about the back-spinners at the minute but it's interesting. You don't know where there's any early written/published descriptions of any back-spinning variations do you? I think we need someone who's a big fan of Benaud and maybe read all the books he's ever had published or had written on him.

H
Big job Steve, might be a few months yet, I'm getting bogged down with all the stuff about the back-spinners at the minute but it's interesting. You don't know where there's any early written/published descriptions of any back-spinning variations do you? I think we need someone who's a big fan of Benaud and maybe read all the books he's ever had published or had written on him.
I personally am not sure, in reality, this thread is where I get almost all my bowling history lessons from!
Luckily, living in cambridge, I might be able to find out some information from the uni libraries!

I have uploaded a couple more videos from the batsmans view as Dave suggested. http://www.youtube.com/user/1chippyben?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/1FXNo2hRzNQ
Its a bit of an eye opener to see it from the batsmans end. There seems to be a good bit of loop and dip and lots of bounce because of the topspin I get from my high arm action. The last ball on the longer vid got a good bit of drift too if you watch it closely http://www.youtube.com/user/1chippyben?feature=mhum.
The ball on the pitch is 12 feet from the stumps or about 3.6m

Had a couple of decent net sessions over the last few days. The wrist flick at a faster speed is starting to work to a degree; I've started to get the feeling of it coming perfectly of the tip of the third finger again, which hasn't really been there since I sped up my action to allow for a better extension on the front leg. Still no quite there though, if I try it of a proper run up with an "explosion" in energy just before I hit the crease, I tend to lose it a bit.

The most pressing problem at the the moment is that I don't pivot and follow thorough properly half the time. It was most depressing obvious in my last net session when I was bowling to a left hander. I started out pitching it outside off and easily turning it to threaten the stumps. During this time I could feel the twist of the pivot very well. Then the turn just disappeared for the most part; I had just stopped pivoting. Obviously, I'm rather curious as to why I would have just stopped pivoting so suddenly. I suspect that it my have been due to getting tired(I had been bowling for a while by then) or possibly due to the more unfamiliar feeling of bowling to a left hander, as when a right hander came into the nets, my pivot came back rather quickly.

I have uploaded a couple more videos from the batsmans view as Dave suggested. http://www.youtube.com/user/1chippyben?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/1FXNo2hRzNQ
Its a bit of an eye opener to see it from the batsmans end. There seems to be a good bit of loop and dip and lots of bounce because of the topspin I get from my high arm action. The last ball on the longer vid got a good bit of drift too if you watch it closely http://www.youtube.com/user/1chippyben?feature=mhum.
The ball on the pitch is 12 feet from the stumps or about 3.6m

Whoa! Nearly had the camera a couple of times there! Yeah that's pretty good stuff. I'll have a look at the other clip as well. The only thing I picked up is that you're similar to me in that you over-rotate slightly, I'm not sure how much bearing it has on the outcome, but everyone tells me that over-rotation has a negative effect, it may disipate some of the energy that would other-wise all be directed forwards?

Had a couple of decent net sessions over the last few days. The wrist flick at a faster speed is starting to work to a degree; I've started to get the feeling of it coming perfectly of the tip of the third finger again, which hasn't really been there since I sped up my action to allow for a better extension on the front leg. Still no quite there though, if I try it of a proper run up with an "explosion" in energy just before I hit the crease, I tend to lose it a bit.

The most pressing problem at the the moment is that I don't pivot and follow thorough properly half the time. It was most depressing obvious in my last net session when I was bowling to a left hander. I started out pitching it outside off and easily turning it to threaten the stumps. During this time I could feel the twist of the pivot very well. Then the turn just disappeared for the most part; I had just stopped pivoting. Obviously, I'm rather curious as to why I would have just stopped pivoting so suddenly. I suspect that it my have been due to getting tired(I had been bowling for a while by then) or possibly due to the more unfamiliar feeling of bowling to a left hander, as when a right hander came into the nets, my pivot came back rather quickly.

Yeah I got to pieces with left handers as well, something I need to work on. Have you done the stand start drills and then work up to the full length run up one step at a time? The stand start makes you aware of loads of things that you might be doing wrong and just tweaking some of the things at the stand start stage makes you aware of the fact that if you get your hip and shoulder rotation right along with the follow through and the rotating right can make enormous differences in your accuracy and turn. It's worth a go.

Back